Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 May 2007 (Thursday) 12:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 1D MkIII Owners discuss =- and Post Your Pics

Tomminator855
207 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 05, 2012 01:03 |  #5221

can't wait till my 1d3 and 24LII get here next week

Sony A7II ,FE35mm

sponsored links
Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 05, 2012 01:55 |  #5222

Tomminator855 wrote in post #13827801 (external link)
can't wait till my 1d3 and 24LII get here next week

I hate you. I played with a 24L II last week at the camera store... a BAD mistake!

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

Tomminator855
207 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 05, 2012 16:37 |  #5223

Erik_L wrote in post #13827974 (external link)
I hate you. I played with a 24L II last week at the camera store... a BAD mistake!

I switched to Nikon for one year ,than I was so disappointed that I miss my canon gear very much , couples day ago I decided to come back to canon world ! Oh god I feel so good even my gear has not yet here !!

Sony A7II ,FE35mm

John_N
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 05, 2012 18:25 |  #5224

Tomminator855 wrote in post #13831062 (external link)
I switched to Nikon for one year ,than I was so disappointed that I miss my canon gear very much , couples day ago I decided to come back to canon world ! Oh god I feel so good even my gear has not yet here !!

Welcome back :)

flickr (external link) (magsnorton)
: Google+ (external link) : My Site (external link) : 5oopx (external link)

backblast
319 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 06, 2012 00:22 as a reply to  @ John_N's post |  #5225

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

1Ds MkIII - 1D MkIII & several lenses with red rings.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 06, 2012 00:23 |  #5226

Nice 737...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

backblast
319 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 06, 2012 00:26 |  #5227

Thanks!

1Ds MkIII - 1D MkIII & several lenses with red rings.

robertwsimpson
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 06, 2012 06:35 |  #5228

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6818276577_d1775ed183_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/40483547@N07/6​818276577/  (external link)
Female Norther Harrier in flight (external link) by robertwsimpson (external link), on Flickr

Quiexo
297 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 06, 2012 07:42 |  #5229

h4ppydaze wrote in post #13813574 (external link)
I have a tax return to spend, and it's burning a hole in my pocket! Should I just jump in right now? I was hoping to get a 1Diii for closer to the ~1500 price point after the 5diii is announced, and the 1D-X ships. First world problems

I must admit, I had that same dilemma when I first started to consider buying the 1D3, after the death of my 7D (long story..:(). I ended up buying a used one on eBay (managed to get one with a low actuation count and high serial number) after rationalising with myself that:

1. The 5D MkIII rumours are just that, rumours. No one really knows when it will make a show, so it could be a long wait (already is actually) for all we know.

2. I initially though that with the release of the 1D-X, that people would invariably jump on it, and sell off their 1D4's, which will mean cheaper 1D3's. I later found out that Canon will continue to sell their 1D4's, so I suspect that the prices of 1D3's won't be terribly affected by the release of 1D-X's...I could be mistaken though..

3. I have a 9 month old baby (she was 6 months old when I was making my decision), and one of my mates (who is a keen photographer himself) posed to me this question, "In the time it takes for you to wait and see whether the prices of the 1D3's are going to fall, how many moments in your girl's life will be missing out on photographing? Are you willing to take the risk?" I decided that the risk wasn't worth it and took the plunge, and thank God for that, as she started crawling the very week I got the camera, so I managed to get shots of that! :)

Moral of the story - just get the damn camera, it is a decision that you will not regret in a hurry..:D

1D MkIII, 5D3, Sigma 24mm f1.8 + 35mm f1.4, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake + 85mm f/1.8 + 100mm f/2.8 macro, Ricoh GR

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 06, 2012 09:14 |  #5230

Regarding your 2nd point: Canon has said APS-H would eventually cease to exist once the 1DX streets.

Have you seen something that contradicts this in saying Canon will "keep selling MkIVs" ?

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 06, 2012 10:47 |  #5231

I haven't seen it said anywhere by Canon that they will continue the 1D4 after the 1Dx comes 'on-stream'.

robertwsimpson
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 06, 2012 10:48 |  #5232

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7016/6820019781_0b8b2c520b_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/40483547@N07/6​820019781/  (external link)
Anhinga in flight (external link) by robertwsimpson (external link), on Flickr

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 06, 2012 11:40 |  #5233

Quiexo wrote in post #13833766 (external link)
I must admit, I had that same dilemma when I first started to consider buying the 1D3, after the death of my 7D (long story..:(). I ended up buying a used one on eBay (managed to get one with a low actuation count and high serial number) after rationalising with myself that:

1. The 5D MkIII rumours are just that, rumours. No one really knows when it will make a show, so it could be a long wait (already is actually) for all we know.

2. I initially though that with the release of the 1D-X, that people would invariably jump on it, and sell off their 1D4's, which will mean cheaper 1D3's. I later found out that Canon will continue to sell their 1D4's, so I suspect that the prices of 1D3's won't be terribly affected by the release of 1D-X's...I could be mistaken though..

3. I have a 9 month old baby (she was 6 months old when I was making my decision), and one of my mates (who is a keen photographer himself) posed to me this question, "In the time it takes for you to wait and see whether the prices of the 1D3's are going to fall, how many moments in your girl's life will be missing out on photographing? Are you willing to take the risk?" I decided that the risk wasn't worth it and took the plunge, and thank God for that, as she started crawling the very week I got the camera, so I managed to get shots of that! :)

Moral of the story - just get the damn camera, it is a decision that you will not regret in a hurry..:D

Bravo, sir. You have sold me.

John_N
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 06, 2012 12:58 |  #5234

Just wondering are there many DVD's or books on the Mark III?

I've seen a couple of bits on Canon's website (AF guides and the introductory vids) and something on youtube explaining the settings but given its a pro body I thought there would have been a lot more out there and I'm just not seeing it.

flickr (external link) (magsnorton)
: Google+ (external link) : My Site (external link) : 5oopx (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 06, 2012 13:10 |  #5235

There was a PDF (I think) via Canon Europe that did a great job of walking through the AF system and which sports would benefit from which settings.

There are basically three things to think about with your AF:
1) How much subject isolation do you need?
2) How much help do you want in holding focus?
3) How aggressively do you want to maintain focus on one subject?

The first ties into how many AF points you use. The second applies to the use of helper points (L/R or Surrounding) and the third point goes to where you set your AF acquisition speed. Slower will let things cross your subject without the camera letting go of your subject. Faster will allow the camera to rack to the closer object more easily.

Mixing and matching the above is how you "cook" your AF to taste. :D

Jay

sponsored links

2,325,785 views & 1,121 likes for this thread
-= 1D MkIII Owners discuss =- and Post Your Pics
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.