Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Feb 2012 (Saturday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Okay I'm tired of researching and just need some advice

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 05, 2012 03:00 |  #16

Instead of the 35L, save yourself about $900 and go for the sigma 30 1.4. IQ is practically the same save at the edges which don't really matter anyway since they'll be OOF most of the time.

With the money saved, you can then get yourself either a nice tamron 28-75 or sigma 17-50 OS. You are not going to lose out on IQ by going this route. You save a lot of money and just lose out on some features like full time manual, which I'm guessing you won't use anyway.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links
ROGERWILCO357
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 05, 2012 03:02 |  #17

I would say the 24-105 for it's convenience of shots and its wide range of coverage I have 9 kids and I use this lens the most period. And yes most of my shots are family oriented from birthdays to school functions from elementary to high school . If you do the Senior shots you will want to get A nice portrait lens and if you do graduation shots the 24-105 will do but the 70-200 will be better..good luck I have put alot into my gear just for that the family shots..good luck

EOS 5DMKII gripped;EOS 7D;30D:Rebel Xti Digital;24-105L,70-200 f/2.8L.II,85mm f1.2L.II,16-35Lmk2, SP AF90mmF/2.8DI,28-135mm x 2,580EX II-430ExII with Pocket Wizards II,(Adobe CS5)

dscri001
487 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 05, 2012 04:03 |  #18

I'll toss in my vote. Sell the tamron and 100, get a 50 1.4 and 70-200 2.8L. This way you'll have plenty of speed to work with, and literally a stack of prime quality from 50 to 200 :mrgreen:

-Tyler I II
EOS 6DII, EF 16-35mm f/4 ISL, EF 35 f/1.4L II, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 05, 2012 04:36 as a reply to  @ post 13828027 |  #19

17-55 IS

I own all of them, you'll get the best bang for your buck with the Canon 17-55.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

futurebrewer
260 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Currently Corvallis, Oregon. Originally from Chicago, Illinois

Feb 05, 2012 05:03 |  #20

My vote is for the 35L, but I'm a noob and I think the 35 is the answer to everything! :cool:

Gear:Canon 5D, 50mm f/1.8 II
http://celines-ellipsis.tumblr.com (external link)

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 05, 2012 05:17 |  #21

Kento wrote in post #13828222 (external link)
17-55 IS

I own all of them, you'll get the best bang for your buck with the Canon 17-55.

loved that lens on a crop but sold it when I also got a FF and found I hadn't used it for a year!

Gear List

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 05, 2012 07:19 |  #22

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13827210 (external link)
I understand - I'm at almost $6000 for this year already.

$6,000 in just one month, G.A.S. hits hard with the Canon rebates

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 05, 2012 07:44 |  #23

watt100 wrote in post #13828529 (external link)
$6,000 in just one month, G.A.S. hits hard with the Canon rebates

I'm disabled and wanted to make some income from photography to help fund my desire for more photography stuff (yes, G.A.S. in all of its terrible glory). We got a nice Christmas gift and I asked for half of it, plus my other Christmas money, to go shopping because when I would take my T1i pictures that looked perfectly nice when I shot them and perfectly nice at screen size to 50% or 100% I would end up finding all sorts of issues and microstock is seriously pixel-peepling. So... I ended up with another body and two L lenses plus a few other odds and ends, and now I'm picking up other things slowly. :)

In my defense I've got 30-something years of shooting and started with manual film SLRs, so I do have a little bit of a clue. I just never got a digital SLR until 2010 because it was something I never figured out how to afford. My current hubby is a wonderful sweet man who can almost never say no to me though it took me four years with him to finally admit that I couldn't stand the limitations of point and shoot cameras. :)

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 05, 2012 08:03 |  #24

I'd like to see some dissapointing shots from the 18-270 just to see what is up there. I'll grant that the 100 macro is probably a bit better, but it would be good to rule out issues with the other lens or with technique as well.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 05, 2012 08:20 |  #25

The only sample shots I've ever seen with it were resized to approximately 640x480 on the internet, so no good way to tell how "good" or "bad" the lens really is. I was considering it for hubby because he never takes his lens off his camera unless I do it for him (ugh!) and it covered so much. It was the most poorly reviewed of all of the mega-zoom lenses and left my list rather quickly. Granted a prime always seems more impressive than a zoom, but it alternates between pincushion and barrel distortion with occasional vignetting here and there, etc., if memory serves.

Mostly I was attempting to point out that just because you have "all ranges covered" with a zoom does not mean they are covered effectively or to your satisfaction. You might want a lens with better color, contrast and image quality for ranges you use most or ranges the zoom lens doesn't do as well with. The OP didn't weigh back in. I agree that if he is satisfied with the zoom lens at all ranges and wants to consider prime then that's a good thing. Perhaps, though, he wasn't very happy with the zoom lens and is considering better zooms to replace it with. I know I added the 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II even though I have a nifty two-fifty. It doesn't do very well at night at football games...

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 05, 2012 08:30 |  #26

When comparing prime lenses to zoom lenses you're pretty much comparing apples and oranges. Primes will win over zooms almost always. That being said, I have the 24-105L and it is simply a dream. I dropped it on the ground (cement sidewalk) and it still worked enough for me to finish the wedding I was shooting. I had to send it in because the focus was a little screwy after that fall but at least it didn't fall apart on me.

I love the range of the 24-105L. It lets me get in real close from a far distance from across a room. Images are sharp and little to no vignetting on my FF body.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,141 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 05, 2012 08:30 |  #27

How about the mighty 18-55mm IS? (Probably can be found under 150$). OP is new to photography, so before blowing thousands of dollars for the likes of 17-55mm f2.8 and 35L, it'd be nice first to figure out which focal lengths work best, primes versus zooms question etc. Almost any lens (prime or zoom) will look stellar after a super-zoom like the Tamron. So get the cheap (but very decent quality) zoom + a flash (430EX would be perfect), and learn more about photography, before spending $$$ for something you might not even need.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

jamie_s_72
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 05, 2012 13:25 |  #28

Lots of good advice here and I'm very thankful. I think the 24-105 will be my choice. I really like the primes but for now I think the versatility of the zoom will be in my best interest.

sponsored links

2,922 views & 0 likes for this thread
Okay I'm tired of researching and just need some advice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.