Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 01:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D at high ISO

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 05, 2012 06:02 |  #16

Crafty wrote in post #13828138 (external link)
If you already have a 7D I'd go 5d2 - that way you can use crop or full frame to their strengths instead of making compromises (assuming the majority of your lenses are EF fit of course).

+1. You would be amazed how much better the 5DII is at high ISOs (and even base ISO). Also, the pictures straight out of the camera are much sharper. I own both the 7D and the 5D MKII.

sponsored links
jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 05, 2012 07:23 |  #17

The 5d2 is about one stop better for high ISO noise performance. That is the number if you accurately expose the 7d image. If you underexpose the 7d image and it could be a bit worse. Don't get sucked into subjective analysis like magical, amazing, yada yada yada.

The 7d has many advantages over the 5d2 which most significant is the highly customizable AF system. It is very similar to the 1D system. The center point af point on the 5d2 is very accurate and works well in low light environments. The outer points are virtually useless unless used in daylight in my experience. one significant advantage with the 5d2 IMO is you can manipulate the raw files a bit more.

With all that said, the 5d2 will compliment your 7d nicely. You will then be able to compare handling and performance for what you shoot firsthand. Both are fine cameras.

For me, I will patiently wait for the 5d3. It is expected to have a better af system and maybe a little better noise performance.

Jason

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,653 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 05, 2012 07:40 |  #18

BuckNutDave wrote in post #13827903 (external link)
All,
i'm currently debating with myself and im sure a lot of other on getting a 7D or 5d2. im a firm believer of yes glass helps, yes a good body helps but it comes down to the person behind the lens that really makes the difference!
Dave

BuckNutDave wrote in post #13827961 (external link)
here is a little bit of my own work with the 7D, i have come a long way with shooting but still a lot to learn!

http://the19thstall.ze​nfolio.com/f241701046 (external link)

I took a look at your portfolio. Congratulations, you are quite an accomplished photographer! I liked very much what I saw, some of the PP does not match my tastes, but admittedly it is quite effective.

I would take a diferent tack.

Why don't you listen to yourself!

You are an accomplished photographer, you recognize that it is the eye and the soul behind the machine that make the difference, you are consciously in the path of ever learning and continuously improving yourself as a photographer.

Why don't you spend those $2k on YOURSELF, identify which area you wish to progress with, find one or more seminars with a recognized master of the subject and treat yourself to a 'working' vacation which will improve your skills and probably give you experiences and memories that you will cherish in the future.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

cannonkit
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 05, 2012 08:35 |  #19

Very nice.

BuckNutDave wrote in post #13827961 (external link)
thanks for the input...like i said i love my 7D its a true workhorse and seems very versatile!

here is a little bit of my own work with the 7D, i have come a long way with shooting but still a lot to learn!

http://the19thstall.ze​nfolio.com/f241701046 (external link)

thanks again for everyones input

h14nha
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 05, 2012 10:03 |  #20

BuckNutDave wrote in post #13827903 (external link)
All,

would anyone care to comment either for or against the performance of the 7D in high ISO situations?

i'm currently debating with myself and im sure a lot of other on getting a 7D or 5d2. im a firm believer of yes glass helps, yes a good body helps but it comes down to the person behind the lens that really makes the difference!

if you have any examples of the 7D with high ISO please share, it would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

Hi Dave.
I took a look at your website, you have some really nice looking shots on there. I did notice though that you shoot in good light, so is high ISO performance really a deal breaker for you ?? I'm just curioius :)
Ian

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 05, 2012 10:50 |  #21

Regardless of my original post, given the number of things you're shooting and that you do already have a 7D, I'd save some pennies and go for the 5D as a second body. It will share batteries with the 7D and give you the flexibility of using the FF sensor for your portraits, weddings and landscapes.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,917 posts
Gallery: 1733 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 05, 2012 11:51 |  #22

cannonkit wrote in post #13828132 (external link)
I mean to compare with other body, say, 50D, the low ISO of 7D is worse. 7D's noise reduction is better for high ISO...

7D's ISO noise performance was comparable and better than my 40D from ISO 100 and up. I can't say about the 50D since I never shot with it, but 100 was clean on my 40D and clean on my 7D as well.

The only "issue" is when one under-exposes the 7D or look at underexposed shadow areas of a photo where the subject is still properly exposed. That's when you'll start seeing more speckles. But that's at the pixel-peeping level.

From my experience, if one actually looks at the entire photo as it's meant to be looked at (instead of pixel-peeping a 10mp or 15mp photo vs. the 18mp of the 7D/60D/T3i/T2i), the 18mp will appear to have less noise. And by that I mean if you either uprez or downrez to match viewing sizes. And that's how it should be judged. Since when you take a photo, you're framing with the viewfinder. One's not framing thinking "well, I have 8 or 3 more megapickles to crop from, so I'm going to zoom out farther a little to make the subjects the same size pixel-for-pixel at 100% pixel-peeping level and then comparing them ad nauseum."

That said... the 5D2 does produce cleaner images. :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

BuckNutDave
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 05, 2012 15:16 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #23

All,

thank you so much for all your insight and kind words on my website!

your input has helped with making a decision, im going to go with the 5d2 for my portraits and landscapes and then i will have my 7D for sports and train photography....

best of both worlds!

thanks again!

Dave

David Tenney
5d Mark III | 5d Mark II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 24-105mm f/4L |
70-200mm II f/2.8L | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 50mm f/1.4
http://the19thstall.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,917 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 05, 2012 15:24 |  #24

BuckNutDave wrote in post #13830699 (external link)
All,

thank you so much for all your insight and kind words on my website!

your input has helped with making a decision, im going to go with the 5d2 for my portraits and landscapes and then i will have my 7D for sports and train photography....

best of both worlds!

thanks again!

Dave

Good choice.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 05, 2012 15:32 |  #25

jwcdds wrote in post #13830737 (external link)
Good choice.

Agreed. They compliment each other nicely.

Jason

jayadeff
367 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 07, 2012 18:59 |  #26

I am primarily a sports, wedding, and portrait photographer and I have compared the 7D to the 1DMkII, 1DMkIV, 5D, and 5DMkII.

The 7D is by far the noisiest of all, and requires a lot of noise reduction. The in-camera JPG noise reduction pretty much obliterates all fine detail at anything above 800 ISO. If you only care about posting pictures on the web at greatly reduced sizes, this won't be an issue. However, if you plan to make large prints and publish in magazines from high ISO files (as I do), the 7D just doesn't cut it for me.

If you can keep the ISO below 800 and shoot RAW, you can get good image quality however. But the 7D will never match the other bodies.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,917 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 07, 2012 19:22 |  #27

jayadeff wrote in post #13845091 (external link)
I am primarily a sports, wedding, and portrait photographer and I have compared the 7D to the 1DMkII, 1DMkIV, 5D, and 5DMkII.

The 7D is by far the noisiest of all, and requires a lot of noise reduction. The in-camera JPG noise reduction pretty much obliterates all fine detail at anything above 800 ISO. If you only care about posting pictures on the web at greatly reduced sizes, this won't be an issue. However, if you plan to make large prints and publish in magazines from high ISO files (as I do), the 7D just doesn't cut it for me.

If you can keep the ISO below 800 and shoot RAW, you can get good image quality however. But the 7D will never match the other bodies.

While I wouldn't disagree with you when you say, comparing the 7D to 1D2, 1D4, 5D, 5D2 (though I wonder what happened to the 1D3), the 7D will produce images with the most noise at higher ISO (I mean c'mon, it's equivalent to a 45mp FF sensor in terms of pixel density), you're pretty much saying that based on your experience, no one would ever publish in magazines or make "large" (define large) prints with a 7D at iso 800 and above?

But if you're looking at say the dimensions and pixel-density of the 1D2 and 5D, what if you were focal-length limited and you had to crop and blow up?

Julian

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 08, 2012 10:37 |  #28

jayadeff wrote in post #13845091 (external link)

I shoot with a 7D, 5D2 and a 1DIV and that isn't my experience. IF the exposure is off then the 7D will penalize you more. Perhaps you just didn't develop a good workflow or had a dud camera???

Jason

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,934 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 08, 2012 11:06 |  #29

iluxa007 wrote in post #13827938 (external link)
Eh, no matter what processors both cameras use (up to this date) the 5D II beats ANY crop sensor when comparing noise.
Think about it, 18 million pixels packed into a 1.6 crop of a 24x36 sensor, while 21 Million pixels are spreaded out more on a 5D II’s 24x36 sensor

I assume you mean APS-C crop, but if you meant any crop (or even just any Canon crop), you are mistaken. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 08, 2012 17:54 |  #30

TeamSpeed wrote in post #13849063 (external link)
I assume you mean APS-C crop, but if you meant any crop (or even just any Canon crop), you are mistaken. ;)

By a fair amount too. :lol:

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,019 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D at high ISO
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.