Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 11:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sending To CPS

snaphappyphotography
251 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 31, 2012 11:48 |  #1

Hey guys, sent my 5DII into CPS for the first time for clean & check, along with my 70-200II. The 70-200 is making a very slight grinding sound when it focuses. When the lens was new it focused silently. I also feel like my 70-200 is missing a bit more and isn't as sharp wide open as it used to be. Perhaps I removed the 70-200 from the body while the IS was still active? I remember the manual saying that could damage the lens. But that's all I can think of. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last time I sent something to CPS it was a 580EX with a blown bulb, they kept it for 2-3 weeks and then told me they were tired of waiting to get the parts in to fix it, so they sent me a 580EXII, nice upgrade, I think they charged me $82.

D800, D700, MB D10, 85 1.4G, 70-200 2.8G VR II, 16-35 f4G VR II, 60 2.8G Micro, SB 910 (x4), SB 900, Radio Popper PX Trans (x2), Radio Popper PX Rec (x3)

sponsored links
John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jan 31, 2012 13:19 |  #2

I've nudged the shutter button a few times, starting the IS cycle, while changing lenses. The lens has made a noise but there has not been any ill affect resulting 'til now. Perhaps under some circumstances damage can occur, but it doesn't appear to happen so easily.

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

snaphappyphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
251 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 03, 2012 19:04 |  #3

I got my results back today. The 5DII is fine, they cleaned it of course and sent it back with overnight shipping at no cost.

The 70-200II is a different story. Here's what they determined

"Makes grinding noise when focusing, focus becoming unreliable. Calibrate focus and resolution, check all functions, repair to good working order. Use included 5D Mk2 as necessary to troubleshoot. CPS Gold discount applied. Please respond to estimate."

That's exactly what I told them was going on with the lens. It's almost like they're paraphrasing the comment on the form I sent in. Is it possible they're just telling me what I want to hear? They're charging me $201.48 which is very reasonable if I get the lens back in perfect working condition. Do you think they just calibrated it?

Thanks!

D800, D700, MB D10, 85 1.4G, 70-200 2.8G VR II, 16-35 f4G VR II, 60 2.8G Micro, SB 910 (x4), SB 900, Radio Popper PX Trans (x2), Radio Popper PX Rec (x3)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 03, 2012 19:21 |  #4

Before I started worrying about what they did, I'd wait until it comes back and determine if you're happy with the way it performs.

snaphappyphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
251 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 05, 2012 02:33 |  #5

I just finished some research and there are literally dozens of photographers who are experiencing the same grinding sound as the 70-200 focuses. Some claim the grinding sound has always been there, others claim it just started at some point. Most agree that the sound is from the IS. Many have sent the lens to CPS and most of the time they replace the IS system. According to a few reports, the lens has come back from CPS with the same grinding sound, one photographer sent his lens in three times. A few also reported that CPS fixed the lens and the sound went away entirely.

I definitely don't like the ambiguity. Either the lens is supposed to make this sound or it's not. I swear my 70-200 was completely and utterly silent the first 9 months I owned it. But I read a quote from a Canon salesman that said all the 70-200's make this sound, photographers simply don't notice it at first. Very perplexing... But it seems like I may have sent my lens in for nothing if the sound is in fact normal.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 05, 2012 05:56 |  #6

snaphappyphotography wrote in post #13821473 (external link)
That's exactly what I told them was going on with the lens. It's almost like they're paraphrasing the comment on the form I sent in. Is it possible they're just telling me what I want to hear? They're charging me $201.48 which is very reasonable if I get the lens back in perfect working condition. Do you think they just calibrated it?

Thanks!

Sounds to me like they checked your lens and merely confirmed your concerns.

snaphappyphotography wrote in post #13828051 (external link)
I just finished some research and there are literally dozens of photographers who are experiencing the same grinding sound as the 70-200 focuses. Some claim the grinding sound has always been there, others claim it just started at some point. Most agree that the sound is from the IS. Many have sent the lens to CPS and most of the time they replace the IS system. According to a few reports, the lens has come back from CPS with the same grinding sound, one photographer sent his lens in three times. A few also reported that CPS fixed the lens and the sound went away entirely.

I definitely don't like the ambiguity. Either the lens is supposed to make this sound or it's not. I swear my 70-200 was completely and utterly silent the first 9 months I owned it. But I read a quote from a Canon salesman that said all the 70-200's make this sound, photographers simply don't notice it at first. Very perplexing... But it seems like I may have sent my lens in for nothing if the sound is in fact normal.

Why not wait until you actually get the lens back from Canon before coming to a conclusion? I think you're sweating it too much at this point.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 05, 2012 06:17 |  #7

You told them about an issue with your lens. They now need to investigate. What you are paying for is exactly that - the investigation of a potential problem. They have no idea as of now, if there is indeed an issue with your lens. The check and clean voucher for CPS does not include any in-depth research on your equipment.

I know this sounds crazy, but I am pretty sure this is the way they see it.

Phil_0816
325 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 05, 2012 08:10 as a reply to  @ 5Dmaniac's post |  #8

My experience with them was the same. They are probably using the work order to send to you for authorization for payment. Enclosed with the lens you will get an actual receipt of the work performed with a listing of what they fixed/changed. I wouldn't worry much.

snaphappyphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
251 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 05, 2012 11:34 |  #9

5Dmaniac wrote in post #13828402 (external link)
You told them about an issue with your lens. They now need to investigate. What you are paying for is exactly that - the investigation of a potential problem. They have no idea as of now, if there is indeed an issue with your lens. The check and clean voucher for CPS does not include any in-depth research on your equipment.

I know this sounds crazy, but I am pretty sure this is the way they see it.

Oh ok, I didn't realize I was paying for an inspection. That makes sense, if I was running their business I would do the same. I thought the clean & check covered inspection, but I'm guessing it just covers, um cleaning and checking? Haha

I have to admit, I am sweating it. The performance of this lens when I purchased it was ridiculously great. I'm really shocked to discover that so many people are experiencing this grinding sound. I would just like to know definitively if the grinding sound is normal. Because it kind of seems like it is. Perhaps all my lens needs is a good calibration.

Anyway, I will do my best to refrain from commenting further until my baby comes home :)

sponsored links

1,680 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sending To CPS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.