Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 23:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

(Worth it?)Canon EOS 60D or...

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 05, 2012 23:18 |  #1

I am planning to purchase my first DSLR camera, and I'm a little overwhelmed even after days of research and thinking I had finally narrowed it down. I really enjoy taking pictures of scenery, portraits, and children at play. I don't plan to become a professional photographer, but I feel like my current sony pocket camera is limiting me, as I get frustrated with the slow shutter, and lack of color depth in landscapes. My main focus in a dslr is color depth, reasonable shutter speed, and able to take photos at night. I was recommended the Canon EOS 60D, did research on it, and it seems almost perfect. But is it really? I'm a beginner with dslr cameras, but I want one I could grow into later on when I want to challenge myself with more options. I found online that the 60d is a good intermediate camera but also has some beginner options. Would I be better off with the 60d with a 18-135mm lense, or should I settle for a more cheaper/basic body and invest more in a lense?
Budget wise, I would barely afford the canon 60d, but I'm willing to go for it. I think the shutter speed is has is fine with me (the guy at best buy said with a higher shutter speed I could accidentally take way more frames than I wanted) and I don't really need lightning fast speed. I plan on taking action shots though, once in a while.

Could I get the same performance buying a cheaper body with good lense?
How many lenses would I ultimetally need to purchase if I get a cheap body and want to do all the above types of photography?

Any suggestions are gladly welcome!
thank you for your time!

Naraly

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 05, 2012 23:34 |  #2

My first DSLR was the T2i (got it about 2 months after it was released). Great camera and has been wonderful to learn on. Got a 60d recently and can say that the 60d will give you more room to "grow into it".
ISO control in 1/3 increments, better viewfinder, better shutter, controls are quicker to use, more customizable features, wireless flash control, better battery and placement (can swap batteries without having to remove from tripod or quickrelease plate), are some examples of things I've found in the first week with the 60d.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

compudaze
121 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 05, 2012 23:37 |  #3

I love my 60D. I upgraded from a T3i only after 3 months. The T3i just left me with wanting more. I really appreciate all of the little things the 60D offers over the T3i. However, there were some amazing deals on T2i's recently if I remember correctly. It'd be a great starter body if you just want something to learn with.

Canon EOS 60D Gripped, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS, Canon 55-250mm IS II, Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8, 2x Canon Speedlite 430EX II

WKD
20 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 05, 2012 23:39 |  #4

i am by no means a pro, so i am sure people will have other opinions. but i used to use a rebel xs for like a year and a half to learn the basics and it worked great doing everything that you said you want to do. i bought a 7d just a week ago and i love it more than ever. If i were you i would do the same. buy a cheaper camera like 300-500, used will save you lots too, just check it out make sure its in good condition and not a ridiculously high shutter count. but you can easily find a rebel xs or xti or whatever on usedeverywhere or craigslist, or even ebay. Now with the remaining money you have buy some lenses. 50mm 1.4 is a good start, then when you become a pro at the basics of photography buy yourself a nicer camera and you will probably better understand why you would want a 60d or not. I know 60d is known as a good camera but the main feature that sets it apart is the flip screen and HD video. and thats not really what you need for your photography.

probably the rebel xti, xs, xsi are your best bet. also when you finally move up because you got your camera at a bargain you can sell it to someone else for close to what you paid.

|Canon 7D | 17-35mm 2.8 L | 35-350mm/3.5-5.6L |50mm f/1.4 | 24-70mm 2.8L | 70-200mm 2.8L IS| 580 EXII |
http://wkdphoto.wordpr​ess.com/ (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 05, 2012 23:40 |  #5

Naraly, first off, welcome to the forum. You'll get plenty of advice here. Most of it will be pretty good. And even more of it will compel you to spend more money than you have budgeted...

I will say in general that if you are on a somewhat tight budget I would really recommend shopping for used gear. It saves you money off retail, and also makes it easy to try out different options and re-sell them without taking a huge loss (if you shop wisely).

For the 60D + 18-135 you are looking at ~ $1200. The 18-135 is a nice all purpose lens, but really does not excel in any of the areas you mention.

For that $1200 I would look at a T2i for <$450, a Tamron 17-50 non VC for $350, a Canon 85/1.8 for $325, or the 50/1.8 for $100 (50/1.4 for $350). The T2i was just available new for $399, so maybe if you are patient you will see a hot price like that again soon. Check in the Marketplace section here every day. You have to be patient but ready to pounce when a deal comes up.

The 17-50 is a great value lens. Pretty fast at constant 2.8 for those action shots. Not as wide as you'd want for landscape shots, but it will cost you another $500+ for a nice WA lens, so I'd de-prioritize that.

The 85/1.8 is great for portraits and action, the 50/1.8 or 50/1.4 is a an OK option, especially if the 85 is too long for you. Use your current p&s and figure out what focal lengths you're most likely to shoot at for portraits.

I really thnk the 17-50/2.8 and the 85/1.8 are a great start. Spend some time with those options and you'll start to understand what else you need in addition to or instead of those lenses.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 06, 2012 00:01 |  #6

Naraly wrote in post #13832637 (external link)
I am planning to purchase my first DSLR camera, and I'm a little overwhelmed even after days of research and thinking I had finally narrowed it down. I really enjoy taking pictures of scenery, portraits, and children at play. I don't plan to become a professional photographer, but I feel like my current sony pocket camera is limiting me, as I get frustrated with the slow shutter, and lack of color depth in landscapes. My main focus in a dslr is color depth, reasonable shutter speed, and able to take photos at night. I was recommended the Canon EOS 60D, did research on it, and it seems almost perfect. But is it really? I'm a beginner with dslr cameras, but I want one I could grow into later on when I want to challenge myself with more options. I found online that the 60d is a good intermediate camera but also has some beginner options. Would I be better off with the 60d with a 18-135mm lense, or should I settle for a more cheaper/basic body and invest more in a lense?
Budget wise, I would barely afford the canon 60d, but I'm willing to go for it. I think the shutter speed is has is fine with me (the guy at best buy said with a higher shutter speed I could accidentally take way more frames than I wanted) and I don't really need lightning fast speed. I plan on taking action shots though, once in a while.

Could I get the same performance buying a cheaper body with good lense?
How many lenses would I ultimetally need to purchase if I get a cheap body and want to do all the above types of photography?

Any suggestions are gladly welcome!
thank you for your time!

Naraly

If you can afford it the 60D is a great camera (but then so is the 7D or the 5dmkII, but each step gets more expensive), but you don't need it to to get a good start. The T2i or T3i would probably both serve you as well for a smaller initial investment. I used a T1i for a bit more than a year before stepping up to the 60D last week. I had already accumulated a decent stable of lenses so all I had to buy was the body.

And the clerk at Best Buy doesn't have a clue. Shutter speed has nothing to do with taking photos faster. Faster shutter speeds just let less light into the camera. It's using the Continuous shooting mode that might cause you to accidentally take more pictures than you plan, and that is just a setting that you can turn on or off. Any of the cameras mentioned will support as fast a shutter as you will ever need, and they all have the continuous shooting mode too.

In the end, only you can tell if you want to go the extra step up to the 60D.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 06, 2012 00:19 |  #7

I would recommend not going to best buy but go to a real camera shop in your area (even if you purchase online or at bb).

Used is a great idea for you. I'd go t2i or newer, but even the xt or t1i will get you through a year. I'm amazed at the images people here pull out of their gear. I've had the t1i for a year and I'm about to jump up (60d or 7d). But it was a good learning platform and I've really enjoyed it. I put some $$ toward glass over time and that was a good investment.

You won't regret buying the 60d. You may need to wait a bit to get the lens you want.

Also, check out the canon loyalty program. Find an old p&s on craigs list to trade in and you can get a refurbed 60d with lens for around $650. See the thread in the marketplace forum for details.

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 06, 2012 02:00 |  #8

I think it really boils down to your current and future budget. I think a 60D is one of the best bang for your buck bodies for what it offers, but it really depends. If a 60D is pushing it budget wise I would highly suggest a T2i. The prices are really good these days and it's a very capable body. You may out grow it one day, but it will keep you busy for the time being until you grow as a hobbyist/enthusiast and realize what you really want later. The $ you save can go to lenses, flash, essential acessories, etc, which are far more important than the body alone.

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 06, 2012 19:56 |  #9

compudaze wrote in post #13832702 (external link)
I love my 60D. I upgraded from a T3i only after 3 months. The T3i just left me with wanting more. I really appreciate all of the little things the 60D offers over the T3i. However, there were some amazing deals on T2i's recently if I remember correctly. It'd be a great starter body if you just want something to learn with.

That's what worries me, that if I settle for the cheaper bodies it will end up leaving me with "wanting more", like you said. What lens do you use with your 60D?

Cheers,
Nora

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 06, 2012 20:04 |  #10

WKD wrote in post #13832708 (external link)
i am by no means a pro, so i am sure people will have other opinions. but i used to use a rebel xs for like a year and a half to learn the basics and it worked great doing everything that you said you want to do. i bought a 7d just a week ago and i love it more than ever. If i were you i would do the same. buy a cheaper camera like 300-500, used will save you lots too, just check it out make sure its in good condition and not a ridiculously high shutter count. but you can easily find a rebel xs or xti or whatever on usedeverywhere or craigslist, or even ebay. Now with the remaining money you have buy some lenses. 50mm 1.4 is a good start, then when you become a pro at the basics of photography buy yourself a nicer camera and you will probably better understand why you would want a 60d or not. I know 60d is known as a good camera but the main feature that sets it apart is the flip screen and HD video. and thats not really what you need for your photography.

probably the rebel xti, xs, xsi are your best bet. also when you finally move up because you got your camera at a bargain you can sell it to someone else for close to what you paid.

A lot of the replies mention what you did about getting a rebel or similar type started body to learn with, but I'm afraid to want more soon after I learn what it has to offer, if I end up purchasing the 60d afterwards i would be spending more money than I would have originally with just purchasing the 60D? I could try selling it but right now in craigstlist on my area there are several starter canons for sale, and it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of buyers taking them?
Maybe i'm just making it more complicated than it is, I just feel overwhelmed with so many questions and "but if"s. I really have a passion for anything creative, that challenges me, I like to draw, do graphic designs, and everywhere I go I see a possibility for a creative photograph.

:confused:

Cheers,
Nora

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,508 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 06, 2012 20:11 |  #11

Go for the 60D and 18-135. That would be a fine starting point, with plenty of room to grow; it's a pretty feature rich body and has the nicer controls of the xxD line, with dual control dials, etc instead of a multipurpose D-pad, and is a bit larger in the hand.

The 18-135 is not a top of the line lens, and isn't meant to be. It's a fine lens for light hobbiest uses, like you describe and if you learn enough to want more, you can worry about saving up money at that point.

Another option would be to check out B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc for bundle deals with the 60D + 18-55IS + 55-250IS. This combo would give you a fair bit more focal length coverage, while letting you get a better idea of what you may need from a lens, and learning how to do things like meter and set your exposure correctly.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 06, 2012 20:39 |  #12

mpix345 wrote in post #13832710 (external link)
Naraly, first off, welcome to the forum. You'll get plenty of advice here. Most of it will be pretty good. And even more of it will compel you to spend more money than you have budgeted...

I will say in general that if you are on a somewhat tight budget I would really recommend shopping for used gear. It saves you money off retail, and also makes it easy to try out different options and re-sell them without taking a huge loss (if you shop wisely).

For the 60D + 18-135 you are looking at ~ $1200. The 18-135 is a nice all purpose lens, but really does not excel in any of the areas you mention.

For that $1200 I would look at a T2i for <$450, a Tamron 17-50 non VC for $350, a Canon 85/1.8 for $325, or the 50/1.8 for $100 (50/1.4 for $350). The T2i was just available new for $399, so maybe if you are patient you will see a hot price like that again soon. Check in the Marketplace section here every day. You have to be patient but ready to pounce when a deal comes up.

The 17-50 is a great value lens. Pretty fast at constant 2.8 for those action shots. Not as wide as you'd want for landscape shots, but it will cost you another $500+ for a nice WA lens, so I'd de-prioritize that.

The 85/1.8 is great for portraits and action, the 50/1.8 or 50/1.4 is a an OK option, especially if the 85 is too long for you. Use your current p&s and figure out what focal lengths you're most likely to shoot at for portraits.

I really thnk the 17-50/2.8 and the 85/1.8 are a great start. Spend some time with those options and you'll start to understand what else you need in addition to or instead of those lenses.

Thank you for your recommendations! I actually just finished looking in to those lenses and the 17-50 and 85/1.8 seem promising.
So I'm a little confused, would getting a T2i with one of those two lenses be able to generate a crisp image with reasonable color depth? In basics, bumping up to the 60D am I basically just purchasing the added settings and such? Bear with me, I'm learning as I go.
I don't plan on going professional, but I do expect more from my photographs. I can't complain my p&s has brought me a long way, but sometimes I get great pictures and just wish they wouldn't look so "soft", like have a more crisp focus and be able to experiment a little, and challenge myself.

Cheers,
Nora

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 06, 2012 20:51 |  #13

Naraly wrote in post #13837906 (external link)
A lot of the replies mention what you did about getting a rebel or similar type started body to learn with, but I'm afraid to want more soon after I learn what it has to offer, if I end up purchasing the 60d afterwards i would be spending more money than I would have originally with just purchasing the 60D? I could try selling it but right now in craigstlist on my area there are several starter canons for sale, and it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of buyers taking them?
Maybe i'm just making it more complicated than it is, I just feel overwhelmed with so many questions and "but if"s.
:confused:

That's the reason I think the 60d would be a good fit for you. My T2i is great but since hind sight is 20/20, I know getting a 60d right from the start would be a better choice to "grow into".
FWIW: 60d through CLP will cost you around $650 +tax if applicable ;)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 06, 2012 20:51 |  #14

Naraly wrote in post #13838183 (external link)
...So I'm a little confused, would getting a T2i with one of those two lenses be able to generate a crisp image with reasonable color depth?...

Have you looked through the T2i / 550D users UNITE! (3) thread yet? There are over 625 pages of photos and commentary, and there are two older identical threads which were closed when they reached 10,000 posts. Looking through those should give you an idea of what the T2i is capable of. There's also a similar Canon 60D Users, Unite! (3) thread which is currently at 200+ pages - it's also the third in its series.

Personally, I like the xxD series better than the Rebel series for the rear control dial, joystick and top LCD, for starters. When you get out of automated modes, the rear control dial makes changing settings much quicker and easier, and the joystick makes selecting focus points a snap. Those features alone would lead me to the 60D over the T2i even if all other factors were equal.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 06, 2012 21:02 |  #15

First, don't pay any attention whatsoever to the clueless clerk at Worst Buy. If you want real advice, go either here or to a real camera store.

Second, the T2i, T3i, 60D, and 7D all share the same sensor, and so are equal in such things as ISO, color depth, dynamic range, ... in general, they are equal in image quality.

The differences are in features (other than IQ) , build, and UI.

The 60D will give you more room to grow in such things as more convenient access to manual settings, and it has a better viewfinder (brighter due to the pentaprism rather than pentamirror), which will matter for manual focusing, etc.

You'll get better pictures overall with the T2i and better better glass, IMO.

Tom

sponsored links

10,669 views & 0 likes for this thread
(Worth it?)Canon EOS 60D or...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.