Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 07 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 00:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark III announcement impending?

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 07, 2012 04:37 as a reply to  @ post 13840401 |  #16

I'm afraid after i sold my new 5D2
that the 5DIII comes plasitc like the jump from the 50D to the 60D :D

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

sponsored links
CajunJosh
69 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 07, 2012 05:19 |  #17

lannes wrote in post #13840349 (external link)
I think the 1dx is the limiting factor for Canon in specifying the 5dm3, I just can't see them cannibalising the sales of a newly released 1dx

A lot of people seem to share that opinion and I really hope for once they don't follow through with that pattern. Hopefully they will release the best product they can produce at the best price point and give us decent alternative to the D800.

I'm happy with my 7D but wanted to add a full frame 5 series to the lineup. Have been waiting for the 5DIII announcement without much regard for Nikon, but, I only have 1 16-35 II L series lens so if the new 5 series does a a bellyflop out of the gate I will definitely not hesitate to sell that lens and go Nikon. I prefer Canon for the user interface and value but I want to buy a camera once and keep it for several release cycles. Don't want to wait another 3-4 years for Canon to play catchup, they need to do it now.

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 07, 2012 06:44 |  #18

triton3k wrote in post #13840044 (external link)
yea especially if the 24-70mm ii doesn't have IS then its a dead giveaway which one I will be getting.

It doesn't (external link). And they want $2300 for it.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

CSMFoto
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2012 06:54 |  #19

btdvox wrote in post #13840235 (external link)
I could really care less about spec for spec. It's more for my intended use.

I thought all Nikonions stood by their D700 12.1 mp because it's low light was revered. Reports are already stating the D800's noise @ 3200 and 6400 is bad (source: engadget).

5D Mark II doubled it's MP and had better noise performance from it's predecessors'. I wouldn't mind keeping the same 21.1 sensor, adding 1DX AF, Dual card slots, new metering and a few other features that have been featured on other cameras.

I also would love to have a battery grip that offered another joystick too.

I still think FPS we'll be sub-5FPS because it would gimp the 1DX market. I expect a 25MP sensor with great noise performance even @ 25600. But who am I? No one.

AMEN! Dual Cards and 45pt AF would be amazing! If they did this though, their 1d series would SEVERELY plummet. Their platforms are already 16-18mp with dual slots and 45AF. If they changed the AF system to a significantly better one, they would be affecting their top of the line sales. Essentially the only changed thing in a 1d from the 5d series would be the weatherproofing and body styling :-\

I, like most people, would then say, why spend 5k for a full body where I can have the ability to take the battery grip off for days I wish to spend shooting sports and have it hand held all day at a weddings, etc.

Wouldn't make sense.

I think they'll just add to the video features(60fps, or higher), maybe dual slots, bit more MP, better low light capability, and who knows what else!

Facebook (external link) | CSM Photography (external link) | Gear
I got some camera's & lens'.

ben805
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 07, 2012 07:18 |  #20

kcbrown wrote in post #13840700 (external link)
It doesn't (external link). And they want $2300 for it.

Canon need to put the pipe down and throw away whatever they are smoking, $2300 for 24-70 without IS?? yea like it would fly off the shelves. :rolleyes: it better wash my car every weekend for that price.

5D Mark III, Samyang 14mm, 35LII, 85L II, 100L IS Macro, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II. 580EX, AB400, AB800.

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 07, 2012 07:19 |  #21

It seems Canon has finally arrived at a cross road. With Nikon's new offerings Canon will lose many users if they don't stop protecting their 1d camera sales. Nikon is not afraid to put their best pro-features into a D800 body and even exceed pro-body resolution.
If I were just starting out buying a camera system I would most certainly look at Nikon first. Canon just seems to have lost its touch with its customer base - completely!

CSMFoto
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2012 07:20 |  #22

5Dmaniac wrote in post #13840793 (external link)
It seems Canon has finally arrived at a cross road. With Nikon's new offerings Canon will lose many users if they don't stop protecting their 1d camera sales. Nikon is not afraid to put their best pro-features into a D800 body and even exceed pro-body resolution.
If I were just starting out buying a camera system I would most certainly look at Nikon first. Canon just seems to have lost its touch with its customer base - completely!

I'm debating in jumping ships

Facebook (external link) | CSM Photography (external link) | Gear
I got some camera's & lens'.

Tony ­ Parenti
317 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 07, 2012 08:08 |  #23

Ummm did you see the sample images on Nikons site. The highest ISO image they posted was 640 it the bokeh area looked pretty noisey to me

Why not post ISO 800-1600 shots?

Canon 5d Mk II & III | Canon 35mm 1.4L| Sigma 35mm 1.5 | Canon 50mm 1.2L | Canon 135mm 2L | Alien Bees B800 Strobe & Giant Soft Box | Canon 580EX II

Fabfive
119 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 07, 2012 08:25 |  #24

elicious wrote in post #13840327 (external link)
I'd be more interested in 5D Mk III that incorporates a 5D Mk II with 7D AF, nothing more.

I couldnt agree more.

6D| BG-E13 | 15mm 2.8 | 35mm F2 IS | 70-200 F4L | 580 EX II

Ricku
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 07, 2012 08:27 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

5Dmaniac wrote in post #13840793 (external link)

I'm sorry to say this, but well said!

5D II 35L 135L 70-200 2.8L II Flickr (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 07, 2012 09:18 |  #26

Just wait for the pics and the reviews, there are rumors that it is pretty noisy, the fact that the standard ISO only goes to 6400 is a hint, that isn't any better than my 60D. It's funny that Nikon has long taken the less is better approach to pixel density, and then they go nuts with the D800.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

btdvox
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 07, 2012 14:36 |  #27

CSMFoto wrote in post #13840717 (external link)
AMEN! Dual Cards and 45pt AF would be amazing! If they did this though, their 1d series would SEVERELY plummet. Their platforms are already 16-18mp with dual slots and 45AF. If they changed the AF system to a significantly better one, they would be affecting their top of the line sales. Essentially the only changed thing in a 1d from the 5d series would be the weatherproofing and body styling :-\

I, like most people, would then say, why spend 5k for a full body where I can have the ability to take the battery grip off for days I wish to spend shooting sports and have it hand held all day at a weddings, etc.

Wouldn't make sense.

I think they'll just add to the video features(60fps, or higher), maybe dual slots, bit more MP, better low light capability, and who knows what else!

I dont see why not. I mean 1DX and D4 are meant for something else. They are for Studio shooters who need the faster X-Sync and for Sports among a few other things. The 1DS3 and D3X (which is now severly gimped by the D800) is a different category.

I know that Pro Bodies have certain Pro features that only a Studio owner and other likes need.

The fact is, Nikon needed to pull out a trump card as their sales hit rock bottom from the Thailand Floods, and Canon has been doing well in comparison. The D800 is that. The great thing is, Rumors were out long before about the D800 and everything that was said was pretty much true. If we heard them, Canon did too, and they'll have to answer!

Otherwise yes, it would be smart for a brand new consumer to switch over.

LudwigVB
408 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 07, 2012 14:56 |  #28

I bet those image files are fun to deal with! 36MPx -- who needs it? :rolleyes:

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 07, 2012 15:03 |  #29

^ I thought the megapixel war was over..I guess not.. I do not need the storage nightmare of 36 MPx.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

elicious
130 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 07, 2012 17:44 |  #30

I'm not quite sure what all the D800 fuss is about.

If you're a Nikon shooter who was considering Medium Format for studio/controlled-environment work, then the D800E is going to be appealing. But, IMHO, the D800 is in no way a D700 replacement. The D700 was, in many ways, a "baby D3." It used the same sensor, and with the MB-D10 grip could approach double-duty as a sports camera due to its FPS and AF. The ISO performance is stunning, even by today's standards. Until the D800 starts to hit the street we won't know about its real-world performance regarding ISO. We know that it will be slower, FPS-wise, so sports shooters who had been expecting a "baby D4" will lament. We'll have to wait for the D800E users to report its well-rounded usability without the AA filter, and also wait and see whether the discussions regarding the relationship of high-MP to diffraction for the past few years will begin to apply to this camera system. The video performance is in the "win" column for the D800 vs the D700 but, seriously, is that really a deal-breaker for an SLR purchase? The D700 has been a jack of all trades tool, approaching near-mastery in all it tried to do whereas the D800 appears to be more of a specialty item. I'm really curious to see whether it will meet/exceed the D700's success.

I owned a D700 and had to downgrade, couldn't stand squinting into an APS-C viewfinder, so I moved back to FF. I chose Canon this time around simply for cost. Don't get me wrong: I really like the 5D images but as a camera system doesn't approach the D700 with its feature set and performance (AF, ISO, flash Commander, ergonomics, etc.) but for the price of a D700 and 70-200VR lens (used) I got a 5Dc, grip, 24-70L, 50/1.4, 70-200/2.8 IS, and 580EXII. Honestly, I was hoping the D800 would be more D700-like so that the D700 prices would eventually plummet after its release but they're so different that no longer seems likely...at least not in the extreme way I was hoping for. It is good news for most current D700 owners, though: they probably won't feel an overwhelming urge to upgrade to the D800 unless they've got the "-itis" bad. ;)

My own guess is that the successor to the 5DII will have improved AF (a la 7D, at least?) and so will be a highly desired upgrade, even for current 5DII users.

5D3 | 24-105L

sponsored links

11,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark III announcement impending?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.