Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Sep 2005 (Monday) 22:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Setting Up a Small In-Home Studio on a Large Budget

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 29, 2012 23:17 |  #286

Aressem wrote in post #13791694 (external link)
Ok guys - I have a question. I want to set up a studio in my living room in the next couple months. I've already decided to go with the Manfrotto Autopoles but here's the kicker. I have carpet :(. I want to find a way to get a hard floor down so that I can pull bg's down and drag them across the floor to walk on. With carpet, this will be an issue. I was thinking that I could get some bricks/blocks and spread them out to support the corners and centers of some 4'x8' sheets of plywood or something but I was hoping maybe some of you have also encountered this challenge and have come up with some other innovative ideas. All suggestions greatly appreciated (especially those with photos :) )

I just added the autopoles with booms mounted to them to my living room studio and have carpet as well. I had previously purchased two sheets of the white tile board ($11.88 per sheet) that everyone uses for a pure white background. So, when shooting white seamless, I use those. They are thin and heels or stand legs can punch a hole through them if you are not careful. If I shoot a different color, I just keep the tileboard flat on the carpet, rather than overlapped, and pull the paper over it. It works ok, you just have to be a little careful.

This is a good, cheap, short term solution. I will be pulling out the carpet and putting in hardwood soon. Hardwood flooring with a laminated pre-finish is under $500 if you install it yourself. Pick a flat finish, not shiny.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

sponsored links
kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 07, 2012 14:49 |  #287

Aressem wrote in post #13791694 (external link)
Ok guys - I have a question. I want to set up a studio in my living room in the next couple months. I've already decided to go with the Manfrotto Autopoles but here's the kicker. I have carpet :(. I want to find a way to get a hard floor down so that I can pull bg's down and drag them across the floor to walk on. With carpet, this will be an issue. I was thinking that I could get some bricks/blocks and spread them out to support the corners and centers of some 4'x8' sheets of plywood or something but I was hoping maybe some of you have also encountered this challenge and have come up with some other innovative ideas. All suggestions greatly appreciated (especially those with photos :) )

Killjoy's suggestions are what I would try if I had that situation. If you go with plywood, why not just lay it directly on the carpet? That would be better and easier than trying to set up blocks/bricks to support it.

Kevin

Pkxn
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 08, 2012 03:08 |  #288

If you want wall or ceiling rails cheaply buy DIY disabled handles/rails (the long ones are best). Put them in strategic positions where you want to mount lights etc. then us Manfrotto superclamps to put up the lights/equipment you want.

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
so, what are we talking about?
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 07, 2012 14:15 |  #289

Been a while since I've posted, sorry. I am going to be doing some work in the studio this weekend with my 10 year old and will try to get some BTS images.

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

khanley
191 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 07, 2012 18:02 as a reply to  @ DwightMcCann's post |  #290

great, always enjoy the bts shots, been getting happier with my results and workarounds with the space limitations.

thanks for all the help.

Kevin Hanley -Wisconsin
5DMK III, 5D MkII, 7D MK22-40D, 8-15L 16-35, 24-70L, 80-200 f2.8 IS, 100-400, 50,100L,180L Macros Tamron 150-600 Canon TC-14

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 18, 2013 16:40 |  #291

Well, that didn't go so well ... been over a year since I've been here by the looks of it. The studio hasn't changed much although I now have a second pair of Profoto D1 Air 1000's. My body collection has changed a fair bit and I need to reshoot them: 2 x 1DX, 2 x 1D4, 5D3 and 1Ds3. Some small lens changes. I'll add doing a new composite of equipment to my list of things promised but not delivered, sigh.

Dwight McCann

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 19, 2015 17:41 |  #292

Well, after about ten years of professional photography, I am going through a divorce in which the mediator seems to feel that my business is bringing in huge sums of money that I am somehow hiding. In response, I am shuttering my business. This, sadly, brought out veiled threats, but since I am 69 with heart disease it is impossible for her to suggest that I should somehow have to keep working! I am more amicable with my wife than with this "mediator" who does not seem to be neutral in the least but I will get through this by being firm.

Dwight McCann

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 19, 2015 21:23 as a reply to  @ DwightMcCann's post |  #293

sorry to hear this Dwight, hope everything works out for you, take care

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

sponsored links

106,029 views & 0 likes for this thread
Setting Up a Small In-Home Studio on a Large Budget
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.