Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 17:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please help very busy dad choose $1k-ish photo printer

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 05, 2012 20:11 |  #31

Did you guys miss this?

lewdog wrote in post #13810516 (external link)
Thanks for asking. Yes, I did jump in and get the Epson 3880...don't really know much about paper, but I figure the sample packs are a great way to dive in and just experiment. Any sample pack suggestions?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links
ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 07, 2012 06:16 |  #32

Be sure to get some sample packs from Red River, they also provide excellent profiles for their papers. Also check out the Cone Inks site, excellent information on maintaining your printer, and other valuable advice.

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 07, 2012 09:58 |  #33

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13829693 (external link)
If you think printing and color management is as simple as having the right printer profile you're doing it wrong.

Please, do enlighten us…

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 07, 2012 10:02 |  #34

Rene,

I imagine Shadow on the Door is referring to monitor calibration?

Interesting question on the Techy Q & A in Saturdays Daily Telegraph: The standard "My prints are darker than the screen shows them". The answer completely missed the point that the monitor is probably set by default to burn out eyeballs, instead it wittered on about different printer driver versions.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 07, 2012 13:49 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

Do you know the difference between saturation, perceptual, relative, and absolute rendering intent, and how they effect your gamut conversion? What about black point compensation?

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 07, 2012 14:48 as a reply to  @ Shadow on the Door's post |  #36

does not knowing make my beautiful prints turn to krap?

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 07, 2012 15:24 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

In comparison to what they could be absolutely. The thing is people who are saying that print shops can't do any better than someone with an expensive printer are just plain ignorant, there's a ton that goes in to doing this properly and saying that is like saying someone who buys a DSLR at walmart the week before can do just as good of a job as a professional wedding photographer.

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 07, 2012 18:38 as a reply to  @ Shadow on the Door's post |  #38

Ahhhh, to be nineteen again!

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 07, 2012 18:41 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

Every single thread someone argues with me, then when I tell them something they didn't know they say something about my age, which is exactly why I keep it there..people can't stand it when someone younger than them knows something they don't.

What about "thanks for telling me something that I can now research and use to get the most out of my printing!" or are we supposed to stop using our manners when we get old?

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 07, 2012 18:52 as a reply to  @ Shadow on the Door's post |  #40

it's not how much, it's how little. good luck growing up.

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 07, 2012 19:00 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

No **** I don't know everything, but I'm getting my degree on this stuff, you'd think that might entitle me to have some knowledge on the subject? I don't see why you're so mad that a 19 year old told you something you didn't know..maybe I should be the one telling you that you don't know everything.

lewdog
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 07, 2012 20:24 as a reply to  @ Shadow on the Door's post |  #42

Dude-I've refrained from mentioning either your age or the boasting you've done about your schooling, but... 19 is young-that's just a fact. I actually don't care about your age and wouldn't have thought about it, but your posts led to me notice. You're clearly demonstrating the immaturity that is so often related to having just about that amount of life experience. Regarding getting the degree: It actually means very little in terms of your competence in this area. Seriously-every educational program I've been in (and I'm way past my Masters and wish I could say I only spent $10,000 on my education) has proved over and over that you learn far more from actually working the skill than sitting in the classroom. You've flaunted the fact that you're going to school for this, but that doesn't truly have street cred. I guess I don't blame you, as I can see peacockig something like this if you don't have anything else. This printing stuff is not rocket science, as Rene said. For example, 3 seconds of google-fu provides this:
http://www.cambridgein​colour.com …olor-space-conversion.htm (external link)

Addresses each thing you mentioned in one article. I already knew that stuff. If I didn't, it would take 3 minutes from asking the question to providing a competent response. Not a big deal. Anyone with internet access can do this stuff provided a reasonable level of intellect and an internet connection.

The other thing is-you've not told anyone anything that they didn't already know before, at least not in this thread. The only thing you've repeatedly said was essentially that this stuff is rarified air-you can't do it if you're the every-man.

To sum up:
1. $10k education doesn't mean you know anything.
2. You haven't told anyone anything new in this thread.
3. This stuff is not that hard. You just have to pay attention to detail a little more than most people would.

5DII
Zeiss ZE: 21/2.8 50/2 100/2
Canon L: 35/1.4 85/1.2 135/2 70-200/4IS
3x430 EXII and various small studio equipment
Zenfolio (external link)

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 07, 2012 20:32 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

Where are you getting the idea that all I have is education? I've worked in the industry for two summers and one three month long internship, the reason these print shops exist and profit is because there's much more to it than most people at home can manage for the best results. Excuse me for trying to help, enjoy your 1000 dollar printer.

lewdog
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 07, 2012 20:45 |  #44

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13845605 (external link)
Where are you getting the idea that all I have is education? I've worked in the industry for two summers and one three month long internship, the reason these print shops exist and profit is because there's much more to it than most people at home can manage for the best results. Excuse me for trying to help, enjoy your 1000 dollar printer.

You've got to be kidding me. It's like you're stomping with the other foot, saying "but I can stomp with my right foot, too!" I just don't think you have the weight to throw around that you seem to think you have. Even if you did, anybody can do this stuff. It's just that so few actually care enough to pay attention to the details.

5DII
Zeiss ZE: 21/2.8 50/2 100/2
Canon L: 35/1.4 85/1.2 135/2 70-200/4IS
3x430 EXII and various small studio equipment
Zenfolio (external link)

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 07, 2012 20:50 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

I still don't understand how you can go from

I just don't have much more time to devote to research, so am hoping to lean on the POTN community a little for some information

to telling me that anyone can do it in just a week, but I'm done with this..if you're so sure you can rival all the print shops with a 1000 dollar printer and a week's worth of research you didn't have time for then like I said, enjoy.

sponsored links

8,715 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please help very busy dad choose $1k-ish photo printer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.