Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 20:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Brand new here...Just bought a T3i...now what?

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 07, 2012 20:04 |  #1

First off, hello all...

I've been using Kodak EasyShares for the last 8 years or so. I was in the market for an HD video camera and was thinking about getting a 'real' camera as well. From what I've read, the T3i is the best of both worlds (in my budget). I picked one up yesterday, with the 18-55 lens, a 16GB Class 10 UHS 'extreme' memory card, and I ordered a gadget bag and "T3i for Dummies" (which is what I am).

My question is, what are the first accessories I will/should need for this camera? I've been looking at some zooms and flashes, but I wanted to ask around a bit first. That's how I found this forum. I mainly take pictures of my 3 son's around the house, playing baseball, fishing, etc... I have absolutely ZERO knowledge about the settings, shutter speed, etc..., but I plan on this being a serious hobby that I truly want to learn. I know it takes a lot of time and patience, which is fine by me. I really want to learn the in's & out's rather than just setting it on automatic and shooting.

Any "Day 2" suggestions for a new camera guy?

Thanks,

~Steve

GEAR LIST

sponsored links
icopus
"the creep following them around taking pictures"
3,007 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 07, 2012 20:12 |  #2

"Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is your next most important purchase as far as advancing your abilities in photography. The book explains very well all about shutter speed, f-stop, etc. and how it all correlates. The very best bang for your buck at this point.

Oh... and welcome to POTN and the hobby!

It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,589 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 07, 2012 20:15 |  #3

Take it out of the box.

freddyttt
84 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2012 20:15 as a reply to  @ icopus's post |  #4

AGREED. great book. read the manual and forget other lens. stick wit the kit lens although a 50mm 1.8 nifty fifty for 100.00 is great around the house.

Olivia ­ Price
70 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 07, 2012 20:17 |  #5

Congratulations! I bought my T3i a little over 7 months ago and just upgraded to the 5D Mark II today, so my advice would be to avoid spending lots of money in EF-S lenses unless you are 100% sure you will not be upgrading anytime soon!

With that said, my next suggestion would be to simply get to know your settings. Learn how to manipulate the settings to get the desired look you are wanting. After you know how to properly adjust the settings you will find limitations in the images you can create, it's when you reach this point you know it is time to buy more gear. Until then happy shooting!

facebook (external link) / Website (external link) / flicker (external link)
5DM2 / 24-105L / 50mm 1.4 / T3i / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 / YN-560
Save $$ with Zenfolio referral code: QU3-PBC-AZZ

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 07, 2012 20:17 |  #6

Take lots of pictures and read. If you have an iPad there is an app called Bokeh which actually provides a nice brief description of how aperture affect photos and how focus works.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 07, 2012 20:17 |  #7

A new neck strap!

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 07, 2012 20:18 |  #8

Chet wrote in post #13845502 (external link)
Take it out of the box.

Sweet, I must be a fast learner because I did that about 20 seconds after I got home! ;)

GEAR LIST

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 07, 2012 20:21 |  #9

Welcome aboard.

Day 2?
Read the manual.
Figure out what the different modes mean (although you'll eventually settle on Av, Tv, or M depending on circumstances), and how to adjust shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

Then experiment for a while.
Remember NOT to turn the focus ring of your 18-55 lens unless the switch on the lens is set to "MF" first.

Later, maybe look at an EF-S 55-250 IS lens or if you can afford it, one of the 70-200 lenses.
Adding a flash like the 430EX and learning how to use it is another way to expand your options greatly.

Many will recommend getting a 50/1.8, mostly because it is inexpensive and sharp. I'd say hold off until you figure out if primes, and 50 mm in particular, are for you. You'll know if you find you are, or are not using your 18-55 at the long end a lot, and struggling in low light situations.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,589 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 07, 2012 20:21 |  #10

Ace and Deuce wrote in post #13845524 (external link)
Sweet, I must be a fast learner because I did that about 20 seconds after I got home! ;)

Cool! Take a breathe now and focus on charging the battery. We'll break into installing the lens putting the card in and turning it on in the next couple weeks. She's a beaut, gotta name her. Lets go with Frida.

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 07, 2012 20:23 |  #11

Wow, you guys are quick here. I'll have to check out 'Bokeh' and the Bryan Peterson book. This is a bit overwhelming at first, but I can't wait to learn.

GEAR LIST

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,589 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 07, 2012 20:25 |  #12

This is fun way to learn and see without leaving your seat. Can instantly apply to your camera.

http://camerasim.com/c​amera-simulator/ (external link)

Olivia ­ Price
70 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 07, 2012 20:28 |  #13

Ace and Deuce wrote in post #13845554 (external link)
Wow, you guys are quick here. I'll have to check out 'Bokeh' and the Bryan Peterson book. This is a bit overwhelming at first, but I can't wait to learn.

It can be overwhelming! I have definitely been there! Do you have a local photography group? I'm a member of our local "Meetup" group and have learned a lot from them!

facebook (external link) / Website (external link) / flicker (external link)
5DM2 / 24-105L / 50mm 1.4 / T3i / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 / YN-560
Save $$ with Zenfolio referral code: QU3-PBC-AZZ

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,270 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 07, 2012 20:36 as a reply to  @ Olivia Price's post |  #14

The Basics: :)

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=414088

dmcnelly
97 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 07, 2012 21:08 |  #15

The one thing I wish I got sooner was a good hotshoe flash. I can shoot at tight apertures (sharper images) with fast shutter speed (less blurry), and it's at super low ISOs (less "noise" in the photos). A huge improvement over wide open apertures with high ISOs and slow shutter speeds.

The kit lens will serve you well to get started. Get comfortable with that and then look into more lenses.

And remember, pop-up flash = looks like trash.

sponsored links

5,769 views & 0 likes for this thread
Brand new here...Just bought a T3i...now what?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.