Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 07 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 23:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How Can I Improve?

Leffe67
257 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 07, 2012 23:09 |  #1

Dear good people of the internet,

I have now had my 7D for a little over a month, am using it regularly and have been working on my technique and post-processing, so I thought I would try to get a little feedback. As I scroll through the photos I have taken over the past month, I noticed that nearly all of my photos have the same sort of tone (maybe not the correct technical description) to them. I don't necessarily see that as a problem as they were generally taken under similar conditions, but thought I'd post a few for comments.

As you can probably tell, I take a lot of pictures of my kids, in poor lighting conditions. By the time they wake up from their afternoon naps, the sun is already setting this time of year. Generally using high iso and wide open apertures to try to freeze the little guys as they are running about. Considering a move to a full frame 5D mkiii (if it's ever announced) for the low light capabilities.

Interested in hearing what you think about the tone/color of some of these as the ones taken outside seem to have the same feel. All comments are welcome.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_4087 (external link) by Leffe67 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_2561 (external link) by Leffe67 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_3834 (external link) by Leffe67 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_3083 (external link) by Leffe67 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_0969 (external link) by Leffe67 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Cardinal (external link) by Leffe67 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Goose (external link) by Leffe67 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_2019 - Version 2 (external link) by Leffe67 (external link), on Flickr

Leffe67

sponsored links
Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 08, 2012 00:17 |  #2

With the exception of #2 I think your lighting is fine. What don't you like? They are nice pics especially considering the short time you've had the camera. The late afternoon is a good time to shoot. Bounced flash and more depth of field would have helped #2.

The squirrel is a bit over exposed. But I really like the snowy one
Thanks for sharing

Richard
Gear

Imaginary ­ Enemy
219 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 08, 2012 00:57 |  #3

Agreed. They all look great except number two. I love his expression in the fourth photo. And the one of the moon is awesome!

Feedback
Instagram (external link)
5D3 | Σ 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f2.8

Leffe67
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 08, 2012 09:36 |  #4

Frugal wrote in post #13846899 (external link)
With the exception of #2 I think your lighting is fine. What don't you like? They are nice pics especially considering the short time you've had the camera. The late afternoon is a good time to shoot. Bounced flash and more depth of field would have helped #2.

The squirrel is a bit over exposed. But I really like the snowy one
Thanks for sharing

Thanks. There really isn't anything I dislike about these, but I thought I would post for comments. The ISO is relatively high on many of these and the noise does bother me somewhat. Late afternoon seems to come fairly early in the winter, so that's why I end up having to use ISO 1600+ much of the time outside. I have to keep the shutter speed up there as my children will generally refuse to stand still for any measurable amount of time... They are quick little guys. I'm getting an education in high speed composition with the little guys running all around, at thigh height, in low light... It's fun.

#2 was taken in my basement. I find it really difficult to get decent shots down there with the existing lighting. If I shoot in AWB, everything turns out yellow/orange, so I typically shoot in Tungsten. I have a 430EX which I use (not in this shot), but I end up with my yellow lights competing with the neutral flash and get some strange white balance dynamics going on. Thank you for the comments.

Leffe67

NullMind
629 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 08, 2012 10:24 |  #5

Number 4 (3083) is an outstanding photo, well done

NullMind
Sony A7R + Zeiss 15 2.8, Zeiss 21 2.8, Zeiss 85 1.2,TS-E 17L, 100L, 135L, Canon 50 0.95, Voigtlander 35 1.2, Helios 44M-6, 580EX II, Feisol 3441S, Markins Q3T Red
Full Gear & Feedback
Please excuse the Typos, Brain and Finguers can't sync.

paulo.maxim
47 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 08, 2012 10:43 |  #6

Number 4 is the best from this set, model, lighting, sharpness, composition, everything worked perfectly.
Number 1 looks to me the focus was on the "Bell" not on the eyes.
number 2 too much noise, and the focus suffered from it.
the others are normal snapshots but still good.

Canon 6D |16-35 F4 | TS-E24II | Tamron 24-70 | 50STM | 85 F1.8 |
some photos at ->> http://www.flickr.com/​photos/paulomaxim/ (external link)

LincsRP
427 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 08, 2012 10:53 |  #7

Leffe67 wrote in post #13848512 (external link)
#2 was taken in my basement. I find it really difficult to get decent shots down there with the existing lighting. If I shoot in AWB, everything turns out yellow/orange, so I typically shoot in Tungsten. I have a 430EX which I use (not in this shot), but I end up with my yellow lights competing with the neutral flash and get some strange white balance dynamics going on. Thank you for the comments.

Nice images and good composition. You have a good 'eye'. If you get a Full CT Orange gel and put it over the flashgun when shooting tungsten in the basement you'll get balanced images. Use window green or LEE 244 green for fluorescents.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

Leffe67
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 08, 2012 11:16 |  #8

LincsRP wrote in post #13848979 (external link)
Nice images and good composition. You have a good 'eye'. If you get a Full CT Orange gel and put it over the flashgun when shooting tungsten in the basement you'll get balanced images. Use window green or LEE 244 green for fluorescents.

I had not thought of adding a gel to the flash. This is a great idea! I need to look into that immediately.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Leffe67

Leffe67
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 08, 2012 11:22 |  #9

NullMind wrote in post #13848805 (external link)
Number 4 (3083) is an outstanding photo, well done

Thank you. This was a really fun day.

This was only the second time this year we received any notable amount of snow, the first storm happened in October. It was great for shooting, nice diffused light in the sky, light bouncing off all the snow on the ground and in the air. I grabbed a couple of my favorite shots that day. The image below might be my sentimental favorite. My little boy chasing me with a snowball...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_3031 (external link) by Leffe67 (external link), on Flickr

Leffe67

LincsRP
427 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 08, 2012 12:37 |  #10

Leffe67 wrote in post #13849123 (external link)
I had not thought of adding a gel to the flash. This is a great idea! I need to look into that immediately.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I forgot to add then set your camera to tungsten as it's better than relying on auto white balance. AWB comes out a bit yucky!

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

huntingskeetman
103 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 08, 2012 15:37 |  #11

I concur, I especially like #4, you can't beat a fun loving expression of a childl.

GARY

Canon 60D, 15-85IS, 60 macro, 100-400 IS, 430 EX II

MesserschmittMan
358 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 09, 2012 02:02 |  #12

Yes #4 is a ripper. I like the moon image as well, a nice clean/sharp shot.

Canon 7D | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm f4 IS L

ktc1
190 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 09, 2012 21:19 |  #13

#4 is an amazing portrait, and that moon...wow!

5D with IR sensor & 28mm f1.8 | Fuji X100s

taft
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 16, 2012 03:02 |  #14

get no purple side effect ? How could you make that ?

Canon 550D 50mm/1.8F 18-55mm/3.5-5.6F

anjum69@yahoo.com
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 16, 2012 07:58 |  #15

Please Help me too...

Give Advice..

Used One light and reflector..

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Content warning: data

sponsored links

2,374 views & 0 likes for this thread
How Can I Improve?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.