Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 07 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 20:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help needed for Sony Vegas Movie 11!

AZ_Eddie
152 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2012 20:59 |  #1

Hi all,

I am getting very frustrated trying to do anything with this program! For example, when I click on the show me how link and then click the basics, the first thing it wants me to do is to move a splitter to make more room for something...and the hand arrow just points at a blank space on a timeline??? The next box is grayed out.

There are a lot of other things I just can't figure out from the help files either...so can someone recommend a good book to get me started with this program? Or if someone has the patience to help this newbie to video editing get started I would certainly appreciate it!

I also looked on UTube but didn't find much if anything there either....

I have spent almost all day trying to do some very basic things and I just cannot get anything to work properly!

Thanks for any and all advice :)

Ted

sponsored links
mystic97z
226 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 07, 2012 22:10 |  #2

i'm just gonna tell ya, i've been there with sony vegas before, it ****ing sucks. i messed with it even when it added 4-5 hours of **** up restart time per project. got final cut pro and never looked back!!! i had nothing but problems with sony vegas, a lot of software errors

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 07, 2012 22:21 |  #3

Wow, I've had the opposite experience. I fin it to be a wonderful program with many, many great features. I'm just going to ask, but is your computer up to dealing with HD video? Maybe it's not the program...

Beyond that, sorry, I'm no real help. Not much a computer geek. I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platnium 11 on my Sony Vaio laptop and have no issues with it. No I do load all my footage clips to a portable hard drive so as not to fill the computer up too much.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

AZ_Eddie
THREAD ­ STARTER
152 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2012 23:09 |  #4

Thanks for the info ChasWG....yes my computer is able to handle full HD video (Win 7 64 bit / 12 gb ram, 2.66 quad core Intel CPU).

Like mystic97z says though, it just does not want to do what the help files say it should do! I open the program, load in a clip that is about 2 min 30 seconds long, play it back fine, can make frame grabs with no problems, but that is about it.

For whatever reason, I do not get the track view for editing - just a narrow time line across the bottom of the screen with a 'ruler' showing times. All I want to do is to cut the first 1'30" out, keep the next 10 seconds, cut another 55 seconds, and then keep the rest of the clip. I know that should be fairly basic, but for whatever reason the program just will not do it (or rather I should say I can't get the program to do it!).

And when the 'show me how' tutorials don't work correctly that certainly does not help at all either!!

To get my videos finished I just used the Vegas program to change the .MTS files to .avi and then edited them in Pro Show Gold, which worked just fine. But ProShow is not really designed to be a video editor and is very basic, but at least it works.

So can someone give me pointers on how to learn the Sony program? Books like the Lightroom 3 book I just bought from someone here on POTN? A google search does not find anything along this line.

I admit I get very frustrated after trying for hours trying to get something to work and still nothing...

And yet I have no problems whatsoever with Photoshop CS5 and Pro Show Gold - both programs seem to work like the help files say they should.....

Ted

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 08, 2012 02:19 |  #5

I agree, I had a love/hate relationship with Vegas initially - not helped by the green screen of death.

After time it does get significantly better to the point where I now like it a lot.....have even bought the Platinum 11 version.

My colleague uses the Pro version and, for what I do at the moment, I haven't seen significant functionality to warrant the extra cost. The consumer version does every thing I need, including many of the much saluted features of Magic Bullet - granted you have to work a bit to get there but colour correction, sharpening, lighting, contrast, saturation, vignetting etc are all there.

The Vegas on board tutorials are pretty poor. Try looking on YouTube for tutorials, you may have more joy.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

mlech
305 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 08, 2012 03:31 |  #6

I recommend youtube tutorials as well. That's where I have learned everything with the program so far.

I like the program due to its ease of use... also you are able to watch real time videos which is much easier to work with. No rendering needed.

FACEBOOK PAGE (external link)
FLICKR (external link)

mystic97z
226 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 08, 2012 05:48 as a reply to  @ mlech's post |  #7

i didn't use that exact version of vegas, but the one i used i had to convert my video files to avi before putting them into vegas. when you shoot a wedding all day, that adds another 2-2.5 hours per project. final cut pro= straight from the camera to editing!

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 08, 2012 06:21 |  #8

AZ_Eddie wrote in post #13845749 (external link)
Thanks for any and all advice :)

Ted

Keep in mind what applies to Vegas Pro usually applies to all the other versions as well.

http://www.sonycreativ​esoftware.com/training (external link)

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Salleke
Goldmember
2,201 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 08, 2012 09:24 as a reply to  @ Channel One's post |  #9

Go to the Sony Vegas users forum and post your questions there.
There are very knowledgle people who will be happy to help you out.
If you don't get your aswers here.

Good luck.

AZ_Eddie
THREAD ­ STARTER
152 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 08, 2012 10:16 |  #10

Thanks for the advice all....

Salleke - I just did a search for Sony Vegas User Forums and there is not much out there at all! 2 of the forums have no activity in 2012, and it looks like the one at Creative Cow is the only choice, unless you know of any others?

Just to show that I am not completely stupid (!) in less than 10 minutes I was able to get my video clip edited using Roxio, which I had forgotten was on my computer. I cut the first 1'30", kept 10 seconds, cut another 55", and then kept the rest of the video. Roxio did what it is supposed to do, and I only had to go to the help files once! However, Roxio's output is very soft....very low contrast and color saturation.

I am slowly starting to make sense of this program - certainly a lot harder to learn than Roxio, but I am sure that Vegas will do more and with better quality than Roxio ever could...

Thanks!

Ted

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 08, 2012 12:17 |  #11

mystic97z wrote in post #13847621 (external link)
i didn't use that exact version of vegas, but the one i used i had to convert my video files to avi before putting them into vegas. when you shoot a wedding all day, that adds another 2-2.5 hours per project. final cut pro= straight from the camera to editing!

Well then your comment means nothing. If you weren't using the same program as what is being discussed here, why knock on it the way you are. Apples and oranges dude, apples and oranges. :rolleyes: :confused:

The current version works exactly the same way your FCP works. I can import my camera files directly to Vegas and start edit the samed way you say you can with FCP.

The discussion at hand is Vegas Home Movie, not FCP.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 08, 2012 17:54 |  #12

I'm man enough to admit Vegas made me its b*tch when I first started with Platinum 9. Headaches and misery (I had zero experience with NLE though). Youtube tutorials will help you immensely. Doesn't really matter if its a tut on Vegas 9, Platinum 10, or Pro 8, the basics are pretty much the same and when you get 3 or 4 basics down, your learning curve will increase exponentially. And there are tons of tuts for Vegas on Youtube.

If your timeline is too small, use the + and - in the bottom corner to make it bigger. Just about everything is customizable to where you want it and how big.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 08, 2012 18:48 |  #13

ChasWG wrote in post #13849514 (external link)
Well then your comment means nothing. If you weren't using the same program as what is being discussed here, why knock on it the way you are. Apples and oranges dude, apples and oranges. :rolleyes: :confused:

The current version works exactly the same way your FCP works. I can import my camera files directly to Vegas and start edit the samed way you say you can with FCP.

The discussion at hand is Vegas Home Movie, not FCP.

Indeed.

And Vegas tip of the week:-

Open Vegas and import all your project media (media repository) then, from your desk top, click on an old Vegas project. This will open two Vegas projects in parallel. Rename the old project and delete all the media. You can then cut and paste clips from your media repository time line into the renamed project time line. The repository is a great way to view and top and tail your clip library and you can then swap them across onto you main project time line. If you copy cut the clips your repository diminishes in content as you progress so you can see what you have left.

If you top and tail all the useable clips, and chuck out the dross, in your repository this will give you an indication of what time you have available of useable clips and therefore how viciously you can address them to fit within you target project time. This also works well for finding tracks to fit a voice over.

You can further refine this approach by creating multiple repository projects which all contain similar media.

Moving on, I love the way you can chain effects in Vegas and apply then to a complete time line or individual clips and also that you can copy effects from clip to clip. IIRC you can also save effects settings under your own titles so can build a library of preset styles ( which is pretty much what Magic Bullet does).

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 08, 2012 18:59 |  #14

I just remembered, Eddie, do you have the second disk that comes with the package? Or better yet, did you get the full version that comes in a box? That version (not the downloadable one) comes with a tutorial disk that I have found to be invaluable to getting you started with this program. It's basically a guy on mic talking about how to do certain things with Vegas. And then it's a bunch of screen grab video to go along with it. Simple, but it's very effective. And a major reason why I buy the disk version as opposed to just buying the digital copy that you can DL off the Sony site.

Again, good luck and keep playing with it.

Chas Gordon

AZ_Eddie
THREAD ­ STARTER
152 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 08, 2012 21:14 |  #15

Hi ChasWG - just before I read your post I actually found that disk you mentioned! Strange co-incidence isn't it...and yes now that I have gone through some of the tutorials on it I have been making good progress with the program. I re-did that video edit I used Roxio for last night, and it is a lot better. Like you I usually prefer to get the boxed set when it is available.

BrickR - again, like you I certainly can admit Vegas gave me a lot of problems and an actual headache (something I rarely get) but now that the ice jam (aka brain freeze) has been broken I think I will enjoy getting to know the program. Like you I had no experience at all with NLE, and maybe too much experience with linear editing. I have lots of old S-VHS tapes I shot 20+ years ago and I want to get them copied onto DVD/Blu-Ray disks before the tapes rot! And the new video I have been shooting with the Canon HF-S30 will look decent with proper editing as well.

Thanks again for all your help guys ;)

Ted

sponsored links

2,693 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help needed for Sony Vegas Movie 11!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.