Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 05 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 03:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&W

Lelasmama05
806 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 05, 2012 03:07 |  #1

I'm not the best at converting pictures to B&W so I was wondering if you giys could tell me if these "work" Or what I can do to improve them?

1)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i261.photobucke​t.com …smama05/AmyaJad​e0310B.jpg (external link)

2)

http://i261.photobucke​t.com …mama05/AmyaJade​0420-B.jpg (external link)

3)

http://i261.photobucke​t.com …mama05/AmyaJade​0800-B.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
Bobct1
78 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 05, 2012 14:34 |  #2

Great pictures. I love #1!

Kristy
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 05, 2012 15:27 |  #3

I did a quick edit on the last shot for you....

I would start by altering the angle of the shot so her head isn't going down hill so much. You can do this by duplicating your original layer and then choosing "Free Transform", and them simply rotate the picture to a better angle. You will have to clone in the blanket around the edges and crop a little tighter so her arm will still be ad the edge of the page.

For the B&W, you may want to brighten up the skin tones some so they don't look muddy. I usually use a filter for mine, but I did a manual adjustment so I could share with you and give you a chance to try it on your own.

Assuming you know how to work the adjusment layers in photoshop? I do everything on it's own separate layer and not on my original image layer. This makes it easy to do changes/adjustments as you go along without comprimisng the integrity of your original file.

I'm just going to read off my layers palate from the bottom up, and you can give it a try and seee what you come up with.

1st was the transformation layer... then I cropped it to a 14x10 ratio. After cropping, I duplicated the transformed layer and did the cloning on the blanket.

Duplicated the cloning layer to make a layer for some dodging/burning of the eye area, but we'll go back to that after the exposure/contrast adjusments have been made.

1st adjustment layer = Brightness/Contrast. Sliders set at +5 for brightness, +25 for contrast

2nd adjustment layer = Levels, Sliders as follows: 1st on (shadow) 5 Second one (midtones) 1.27, last one (highlight) did not move, should read 255

3rd adjustment layer = Curves Numbers are approximate because I'm not really sure how to read it to you... but there are 2 points on the curve. Lower left side of the horizontal line comes in around Output roughly 13, Input roughly 17. Moving up the horizontal line, next numbers at output of 64 input at 62 (the point on the line lands roughly in the 3rd box from the bottom, 3rd from the left).

4th adjustment just adds a little warmth to the color.... Choose Color Balance adjusment layer and
move the top slider (cyan - red) to +8, and the bottom slider (yellow - blue) to about -12.

Now move back down to your duplicated original layer after the transformation. I called it eye enhance... Take your dodge tool (set opacity to about 10% only)... use a soft round brush and set the range to "highlights". just brush over the highlights in her eyes.. a teeny bit.

Now change the brush to the "burn" tool, same opacity, and set the range to shadows... make the brush little, and then go over each eyelash to darken them some.. then go over the outer edges of her iris, and any other areas that you would like to emphasize a little... I also do the lips when working on a B&W image, but change the range to midtones and make your brush bigger and make sure it's super soft...

Here is a screen shot of the layers palate, along with the finished image.

Hope this helps a little bit. :) HAPPY SUNDAY... (now back to my cleaning... lol..)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin
Kristy :D 5D MkIII, 24-70 / f2.8 L, 2 AB800's, and some modifiers.
My Website Page (external link)
My Flickr Page (external link)

adamg5
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 05, 2012 16:03 |  #4

Kristy good job! Really nice of you to do this for her :)

Consider me a satellite forever orbiting, I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED

Lelasmama05
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 05, 2012 22:13 as a reply to  @ adamg5's post |  #5

OMG Kristy that looks great! thank you so much! I definitely need to try that. B/c I'm pretty bad at it I'll admit that I usually just convert it to b&w and do auto and then adjust it a little bit. But that's just amazing and makes it look so much better!

Kristy
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 06, 2012 09:13 |  #6

adamg5 wrote in post #13830926 (external link)
Kristy good job! Really nice of you to do this for her :)

Thank you Adam..... :) Just trying to help a little bit.

Lelasmama05 wrote in post #13832337 (external link)
OMG Kristy that looks great! thank you so much! I definitely need to try that. B/c I'm pretty bad at it I'll admit that I usually just convert it to b&w and do auto and then adjust it a little bit. But that's just amazing and makes it look so much better!

You're welcome. I was hoping to maybe help you see different ways you can do a conversion. Once you start playing with it, you'll see how the different layers work and then you'll come up with your own style... but there is so much you can do, other than choosing 'grayscale'.

Oh I forgot to tell you, the very first thing I did was to change your "Image Mode" back to RGB from "Grayscale".

Just go to "Image> Mode> RGB" Otherwise some of the layers will not work for you.

Happy Monday! :) I hope you have fun playing around in Photoshop in your little spare pockets of time. :)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin

Lelasmama05
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 06, 2012 16:12 as a reply to  @ Kristy's post |  #7

Ok so this was my "go at it"

1)

http://i261.photobucke​t.com …ama05/AmyaJade0​310-B1.jpg (external link)

2)

http://i261.photobucke​t.com …ama05/AmyaJade0​420-b1.jpg (external link)

3)

http://i261.photobucke​t.com …ama05/AmyaJade0​690-b1.jpg (external link)

4)

http://i261.photobucke​t.com …ama05/AmyaJade0​800-B1.jpg (external link)

CanonGrl01
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 06, 2012 16:24 |  #8

That was REALLY nice Kristy.

Op - your second go at them look way better, but the dodging of the eyes is a little too much

5Dii | 35L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 430EXII
T2i | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250

Kristy
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 06, 2012 20:24 |  #9

Looks pretty good on my screen too.. Forgot to tell you.. NEVER dodge the whites of the eyes.. only the catchlights. :) Maybe just re-do that layer, or reduce the opacity of that layer if you haven't flattened it yet. ;)

Thanks for the kind words Canongrl. :)

~George Carlin

Lelasmama05
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 07, 2012 13:44 as a reply to  @ Kristy's post |  #10

Ok yea I did so I'll have to re-do it but no big deal :) thank you again for your help :)

Kristy
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 07, 2012 14:28 |  #11

Sorry..... I always save my PSD file with the layers intact, that way if I need to make an adjustment, it is easy peasy, and I don't have to start again from ground zero. Not sure what your file system looks like, but I have usually 4 copies... RAW, PSD, edited jpeg cropped to a large print, and a smaller web sized file.. totally overkill, I know... No wonder why my drives fill up so fast.  :p

~George Carlin

PointNShoot1
33 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 08, 2012 06:48 |  #12

The #3 picture is so adorable

I like reviewing/criticizing photos :)

digidiva
Goldmember
2,002 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 09, 2012 05:44 |  #13

Lelasmama....congrats on your edits, they look great.
Kristy, what a lovely thing you did by puting up that edit explanation. As someone who also has a lot to learn about PP, I thank you.

BUYING A CANON DOESN'T MAKE YOU A PHOTOGRAPHER, IT MAKES YOU A CANON OWNER.

POST HOC, ERGO PROPTER HOC

Kristy
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 09, 2012 18:51 |  #14

digidiva wrote in post #13854421 (external link)
Lelasmama....congrats on your edits, they look great.
Kristy, what a lovely thing you did by puting up that edit explanation. As someone who also has a lot to learn about PP, I thank you.

:) Thanks for you kind words.... I am always still learning new things, but it is nice when someone shares and you can walk away with a little more knowledge than you had before. :) Glad I had something useful to offer this time. :)

~George Carlin

Lelasmama05
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 09, 2012 20:29 as a reply to  @ Kristy's post |  #15

I think it's a lot what this business is about. Learning new things all the time one step at a time. The more advice you can get is wonderful! So when you have it and share with fellow clickers :) it's great! :)

sponsored links

1,653 views & 0 likes for this thread
B&W
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.