Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 17:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please help very busy dad choose $1k-ish photo printer

lewdog
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 07, 2012 20:53 |  #46

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13845700 (external link)
I still don't understand how you can go from

to telling me that anyone can do it in just a week, but I'm done with this..if you're so sure you can rival all the print shops with a 1000 dollar printer and a week's worth of research you didn't have time for then like I said, enjoy.

Have you even read my posts in this thread? If so, it's time to either re-read them or take a serious look at some reading comprehension classes.

5DII
Zeiss ZE: 21/2.8 50/2 100/2
Canon L: 35/1.4 85/1.2 135/2 70-200/4IS
3x430 EXII and various small studio equipment
Zenfolio (external link)

sponsored links
ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 08, 2012 03:46 as a reply to  @ lewdog's post |  #47

Wasting your time, remember what it is like? He is 19 has a DSLR and already calls himself a photographer. Give him time to get his degree and spend sme time in the REAL World, after he has worked a few years running the print machine in Walgreens he will have an education!

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 08, 2012 09:12 |  #48

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13843109 (external link)
Do you know the difference between saturation, perceptual, relative, and absolute rendering intent, and how they effect your gamut conversion? What about black point compensation?

Yes.

And let's play nice here…

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 08, 2012 09:14 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

you guys are ****ing full of yourselves..

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 08, 2012 10:52 |  #50

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13848388 (external link)

Well, lemme see...by your standards, since I'm 67 years old, I must know (67/19=3.53) three and a half times as much as you about photography. Then again, since I have a BS and two post graduate degrees, I must have three times as much education as you do, so that's 3 x 3.53 = 10.59 times as much as you know about photography, right?

So - what were you saying again?

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

lewdog
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 08, 2012 11:25 |  #51

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13848388 (external link)

You are the only one bragging.

5DII
Zeiss ZE: 21/2.8 50/2 100/2
Canon L: 35/1.4 85/1.2 135/2 70-200/4IS
3x430 EXII and various small studio equipment
Zenfolio (external link)

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Feb 10, 2012 19:47 |  #52

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13843109 (external link)
Do you know the difference between saturation, perceptual, relative, and absolute rendering intent, and how they effect your gamut conversion? What about black point compensation?

I have used the IPF6100 for a couple years, then the 6300 now for a couple months. I have been exceptionally please with the results, except one thing: before I do my final print, I find that I have to run a proof sheet first as part of my workflow.

See, the problem is this: When simply printed, the print is anywhere from an exact match to the monitor, to something that is "close, but not quite". Since there is no way to know in advance whether it will be print off in saturation, or in brightness, or in contrast, I have created a proof sheet it a set of 16 copies of my shot - one "neutral" then three levels each of the following 5 variables: saturation, global brightness, contrasts, brightest white and blackest black. Then I pick the variable(s) that is/are an exact match for the monitor, make those adjustments to the full size print, and go from there.

I have always left the rendering intent and black point compensation at their default settings. Your post above suggests to me that knowledgeable use of those parameters could remove the proof sheet from my workflow.

I assume that rendering intent and black point compensation could be a rather esoteric discussion. I am not asking you to explain all you know, but I would like to ask for direction. Could you suggest some entry level reading, or websites, that could provide a usable working knowledge of the topic. Again, the point is better use of my equipment, rather than a career path, so I don't need the depth of education that you have, but a good usable foundation would be of great help.

Thanks in advance,

Rad

(PS - keep in mind that I didn't slam you for being 19. I am eager to learn from anyone who can teach me.)

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 11, 2012 09:30 |  #53

Do you softproof?
You should be able to see the differences between perceptual and relative colorimetric intent.

On BPC: Simply put: Leave it checked when using Relative colorimetric. The tickbox has no effect whatsoever when using perceptual: http://www.gamutvision​.com/docs/blackpoint.h​tml (external link)

When softproofing it's a bit more complex, depending on wether you check "Simulate black ink": http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/in​dex.php?topic=21644 (external link)
(good link in post #1, post #3 explains how to set it when softproofing)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

8,714 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please help very busy dad choose $1k-ish photo printer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.