Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 00:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Feb 08, 2012 10:30 |  #3076

YUP, but all that looks good on paper :) I'd have to see what the 1DX actually produces and or if the 5DII replacement is great. Cuz I love canon glass.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,628 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 08, 2012 10:34 |  #3077

AzzKicker wrote in post #13848836 (external link)
YUP, but all that looks good on paper :) I'd have to see what the 1DX actually produces and or if the 5DII replacement is great. Cuz I love canon glass.

:D But the 1DX is going $6800. It's certainly not meant to be in the 5D3/D800 conversation.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 08, 2012 10:43 |  #3078

jwcdds wrote in post #13848863 (external link)
:D But the 1DX is going $6800. It's certainly not meant to be in the 5D3/D800 conversation.

Do we have firm pricing? The guessing game is aggravating.

Jim

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 08, 2012 10:44 |  #3079

AzzKicker wrote in post #13848783 (external link)
Well for example, I have a 5D and a 1DIV. I love the 5D, but its AF much like the 5DII just lacks. I have to leave the 5D for the IV because the IV has better AF and even then the IV's AF is not as good as NIKON's from what i hear. Can I make it all work yes but its more of a hassle. Selling the IV and 5D with cash I could buy 2 D800's and have a GREAT combo with great AF and a better FLASH system than Canon.

You're going to dump Canon and hate on them going out the door because you currently have a huge mismatch in performance between your two cameras? Not quite fair IMO.

Why not replace the 5D with another 1DMkIV? I can virtually guarantee your perceived frustrations would vanish overnight if you only worked in one sensor size and eliminated the "weaknesses" of the 5D Classic.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Feb 08, 2012 10:47 |  #3080

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13848918 (external link)
You're going to dump Canon and hate on them going out the door because you currently have a huge mismatch in performance between your two cameras? Not quite fair IMO.

Why not replace the 5D with another 1DMkIV? I can virtually guarantee your perceived frustrations would vanish overnight if you only worked in one sensor size and eliminated the "weaknesses" of the 5D Classic.

you misunderstood. I'm not hating. What I was trying to explain was that Canon's Lower end cameras have crappy AF systems. You know that. The 5D and 5DII are examples. All I'm saying is that Canon should really put a better AF system in their next 5D series camera like Nikon has done for a while now. If it werent for the poor AF, I'd be perfectly happy where I'm at. Is a decent AF system in the 1,000-3,000 price range canons too much to ask for LOL.

Ruben D. Zamora

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 08, 2012 10:49 |  #3081

even the mid range nikons liek the d7000 have a better AF system then the 5dmk2 LMAO

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Feb 08, 2012 10:50 |  #3082

that's my point. 3,000.00 for the 5D's when they came out and their AF systems have been junk on any point but center. But this is a 1DX thread so back on topic.

Ruben D. Zamora

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,628 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 08, 2012 10:50 |  #3083

jemanner wrote in post #13848914 (external link)
Do we have firm pricing? The guessing game is aggravating.

It's going to be $6000-$7000 (or possibly higher). I figure when it's that expensive, another +/-$500 really doesn't make a difference. Those who can afford it can and will. Those who couldn't still won't be able to. :(

Such is life.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Feb 08, 2012 10:51 |  #3084

jwcdds wrote in post #13848967 (external link)
It's going to be $6000-$7000 (or possibly higher). I figure when it's that expensive, another +/-$500 really doesn't make a difference. Those who can afford it can and will. Those who couldn't still won't be able to. :(

Such is life.

You think they'll lower the price to match the D4?

Ruben D. Zamora

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,628 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 08, 2012 10:55 |  #3085

AzzKicker wrote in post #13848973 (external link)
You think they'll lower the price to match the D4?

Unlikely. And my reason for that is the 1DX still is (on paper) a superior camera. You don't have to futts with having the silly new QXD/XQD or whatever it is called. One of those cards alone will probably be a few hundred bucks to start with. And at that "pro" level, you can't just have 1, right?

Canon does pull through with up-to-12fps w/ AF retained, 14 w/o AF. Whereas D4 is up-to-10fps w/ AF and 11 w/o. The only true advantage of the D4 is that it is listed with f/8 AF, but keep in mind that all their cross type AF points are in the center. And if the rumor that 1D X will enable f/8 AF via firmware, then that is nullified as well.

Julian

S100mike
254 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 08, 2012 10:58 |  #3086

lets not jump the gun yet. Canon 1dx AF has not yet proven itself, or has it?

Canon PowerShot S100 makes me :-)
http://mikeneufeldphot​ography.blogspot.ca/ (external link)

Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,523 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 08, 2012 11:02 |  #3087

The 1Dx and D4 are closer, just as the 5D and D800/E are closer. But on the latter I use "closer" quite liberally. As I said earlier, the D800 represents what the 5D should be (or perhaps a 3D - whatever).

People use the 5D, including pros. No doubt. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily by choice (rather a lack of other options). There needs to be something in between the 1D and 5D with the compact size and pro-level features (read: AF and exposure, etc.). Nikon DOES get that, and Canon doesn't.

Of course, Canon is supposedly still going to surprise us - the 5D Mark III perhaps. All I'm saying is - it better be good instead of another watered down prosumer camera.

La Vida Leica! (external link)LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1v-HS/1d Mk IIn w/E-1 & Op/Tech straps
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,628 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 08, 2012 11:06 |  #3088

S100mike wrote in post #13849009 (external link)
lets not jump the gun yet. Canon 1dx AF has not yet proven itself, or has it?

:lol: Well, if it's the big brother AF of the 7D, I'm already sold.

But I also know a lot of people are going to be pissed off with the new AF (and the new VF display showing the AF). It was the case with the 7D, it'll most likely be the same w/ the 1DX. For those who have used and know how to use the 7D's AF, I think it should be a seamless transition and greater enjoyment to use. For those who had trouble with the 7D's AF and/or never used, it will likely be a point of confusion/frustration.

I'm already anticipate tons of "1D X can't focus" threads on POTN. :D

Julian

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 08, 2012 11:10 |  #3089

I've not seen where they say the 1DX will have the LCD VF elements like the 7D...

Does it?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,628 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 08, 2012 11:19 |  #3090

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13849079 (external link)
I've not seen where they say the 1DX will have the LCD VF elements like the 7D...

Does it?

Haha... took me awhile to find it but I knew I had seen it somewhere. From Canon Museum and an excerpt:

http://www.canon.com …/tech/report/20​12/01/#t03 (external link)

"(1) Enhanced viewfinder information display

By incorporating a transparent LCD into the viewfinder, the EOS-1D X can display the 61 AF points, a grid, an electronic level, and an AF status indicator while providing approximately 100% coverage. The shooting mode is now indicated at the bottom of the viewfinder (Figure 7).

The EOS-1D X supports the Ec-A, B, D, H, I, and L focusing screens."

It's the 7D on steroids. That's how I see it. :lol:

Julian

sponsored links

525,740 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.