Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 12:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FF Guidance Is it the right move for me

chugger93
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 08, 2012 12:21 |  #1

Yes I waste money and clearly don't think about my decisions in their entirety otherwise I wouldn't have bought the 7d recently and now be thinking about full frame. I don't think the 7d is necessarily holding me back from anything but like some of you I'd like to switch to FF for maximum dof, quality and the different perspective it brings.

Here's my dilema, right now I mostly shoot my two year old, soon to have newborn and family type photography. I don't shoot sports, but I know I will in the future once my kids get into it. Although that can be 2-5 years at least down the line. So I was thinking I would benefit more from a 5d2 at this point in my life.

I can't justify cost wise owning two expensive cameras since its a hobby so I'd only ever have one camera. So the question remains, which is the best approach for me and my family.

If anything I could prob sell the 7d and 17-55 to fund the 5d2. However then I'd only have a body and a 35L and 85 (if the 85 would even work??). So that right there limits me with no glass!! Thoughts?? Thanks guys

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

sponsored links
Toneaero
225 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 08, 2012 12:26 |  #2

I just recently bought a 5dc and love it! I don't know if its just the novelty of having a "new to me" camera but im using it way more than my 7D. In fact, I don't even miss the awesome AF system the 7D has. The center AF point in the 5D is still very quick and accurate. My only major gripe between the two bodies is the iso performance on the 5dc. The only L lens I own is a 24-70 2.8. It was usable on my 7D but had a hard time with it in small indoor locations. This lens now on my FF 5dc is freaking awesome. I love how I could finally use my nifty fifty in small rooms now.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have gotten a 5dmkii and a 5dc as a backup body.

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 08, 2012 12:33 |  #3

I think you should stay with the 7D and the 17-55 2.8 and really get to know that camera and lens and don't waste any money. You could buy a 5D and a new lens but you will take the same images with the 5D that you would have with the 7D. New kit will not make your pictures better.

http://www.mgiddings.c​om (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,186 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 08, 2012 12:38 |  #4

yes, both your 85mm and 35L will work with the 5D II.

I currently have a 5D II, and 50L as my only lens (I downgraded my gear due to my wife and I having a baby this past July).

I think the 7D is a very capable camera with some tech that is more updated than what can be found in the 5D II. Some people hear people praising how full frame is top of the line compared to crop, and want to go full frame after hearing other people's opinions. I'm not saying you are one of them, but it does happen enough to see a trend. There was one poster who bought a 5D II because it was "better", tried his hardest to mount an EF-S lens on it, and I think broken the mirror because the EF-S lens protruded too far into the camera.

all in all, only you can decide what is best for you, and not everyone else's opinions. Rent a 5D II for a week and that way you'll have both bodies to test and decide from. Just don't try to slap on EF-S lens on it :-)

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 08, 2012 12:41 |  #5

MGiddings Photography wrote in post #13849636 (external link)
I think you should stay with the 7D and the 17-55 2.8 and really get to know that camera and lens and don't waste any money. You could buy a 5D and a new lens but you will take the same images with the 5D that you would have with the 7D. New kit will not make your pictures better.

I'm going to agree 100% with MGiddings, given what you've said about your needs. It won't be too long before the 5D Mark II is yesterday's cool camera, and you'll then want the 5D Mark III or whatever comes out next. More importantly, it's hard to beat the combination of 7D + 17-55mm f/2.8 for taking pictures of children.

I think you may be overestimating the difference in "dof, quality, and perspective" between the two cameras. I have and use both cameras, and I'd be surprised if you could look through my gallery and tell which camera shot what without viewing EXIF data.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 08, 2012 12:52 |  #6

I do like the idea of renting the body, but it's so much dam money to even rent a 5d2. I'd rather put it towards a purchase if anything. While I do agree the 7D and 17-55 is a great combo that I love to have, I can't help but wonder how much my style and experience would improve having a FF body. I would have a 35 which is wide and an 85 long and probably be fairly happy with a least both ends of the spectrum covered. Well, maybe not telephoto, but fairly close.

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 08, 2012 12:57 |  #7

I think you mean minimum depth of field.

Agree with the others. If you don't know exactly how the current setup is limiting you there isn't a good reason to change. Think about some added quality glass before switching to FF. How about a 70-200 IS (f/4 or 2.8), or a 10-22?

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,186 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 08, 2012 13:00 |  #8

chugger93 wrote in post #13849763 (external link)
I can't help but wonder how much my style and experience would improve having a FF body.

that right there is what many people think when they get bitten by the FF bug.

as others have said, unless you can come up with specific ways or areas that your 7D and 17-55mm IS lens is limiting to you (which is a killer combo by the way), then it's more gear lust than anything else.

of course we can give you advice all day, but it's ultimately your decision whether you want to slap down the chunk of cash to get the 5D II, which you may or may not end up being happy with since your skills will not improve by switching equipment. you'll still have the same techniques you used with your 7D.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 08, 2012 13:05 |  #9

gear lust I guess. just wonder how much more magical the 35L would become... ;)

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------

thestone11
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 08, 2012 13:05 |  #10

I will stay with the 7D, especially you said there isn't anything limiting u with the 7D. I wouldn't sell the 7D for the 5D MK II, I will only add a 5D MKII to go with the 7D...lol~!

Canon 5D MK II | Fuji X100 | Canon T2i | Canon 100mm macro f/2.8 | Canon 135L f/2 | Canon 50mm f/1.2 L | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM |Canon 430EX II Flash X2 | Pocketwizard TT5 & TT1

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,186 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 08, 2012 13:08 |  #11

I like the quote on this user's sig. It's often more true than not.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/member.p​hp?u=121016

once again, Chugger, I'm not picking on you in any way, just trying to point out what most others would tell you. If your current equipment is limiting you in ways that you are aware of, then perhaps an upgrade is needed. If you find yourself thinking very hard trying to find limiting factors, then it's probably gear lust, and to stick and learn with what you have before moving on. :-)

Dinzdale40
252 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 08, 2012 13:10 |  #12

70-200 is a must have if you go full frame. I wouldn't get a 10-22 if even thinking of going full frame though. You will already have to get rid of the 17-55.

-Daniel

5DMk3

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 08, 2012 13:14 |  #13

10-22 is such a good lens that it may relieve some of the perceived need to switch to full frame! Seriously though, get the lenses that are good for the camera you have unless there's an imminent plan to switch. If you buy it used you'll lose no money if you sell, if you buy new you might lose 15% or so, I consider that cheap rent.

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 08, 2012 13:20 |  #14

Thanks everyone;

My only grip is when people ask why your current gear is limiting you. Why does it have to limit me in order to want something new and different, especially a bigger sensor? When I buy a tablet, do I ask myself first why my other tablet is limiting me? Or my phone for that matter? No absolutely not, its just a matter of wanting more, newer technology, different product, all of those things.

Yes I know the 7D is technically newer technology, but that's not my point. ;)

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,186 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 08, 2012 13:21 |  #15

and that's why the decision is ultimately yours.

you post here and ask for thoughts from others, and we give them to you...and the thoughts are seemingly unanimous :-)

sponsored links

4,211 views & 0 likes for this thread
FF Guidance Is it the right move for me
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.