Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 12:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FF Guidance Is it the right move for me

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 08, 2012 13:22 |  #16

PWard wrote in post #13849957 (external link)
and that's why the decision is ultimately yours.

you post here and ask for thoughts from others, and we give them to you...and the thoughts are seemingly unanimous :-)

no I understand that, I'm just trying to play devils advocate. ;)

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

sponsored links
sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 08, 2012 13:27 |  #17

I would do it - if the 5DII had an articulating screen. ;)

Other than that, all your reasons are valid. Take a look through the 35L lens thread and you can usually tell pretty quickly which images were taken with the 5DII and which were not. The ISO performance alone is huge for you if you're shooting your family indoors.

But... Are your friends and family going to notice the difference? Nope.

The choice really comes down to what you want to do with your money. The whole notion that "if you don't know what your camera limitations are don't do it" are rubbish IMO. Buy it and grow into it. Then, in a couple months when you want to upgrade again to 5DIII or 7DX or whatever else because it makes the "best" images we'll just call you a gear whore and laugh with envy that you can afford to consider it. :lol:

I think you'd be plenty happy with the 35L and 85 on that body for quite a while.

Good luck and enjoy.

Matt
flickr (external link)

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 08, 2012 13:28 |  #18

chugger93 wrote in post #13849947 (external link)
Thanks everyone;

My only grip is when people ask why your current gear is limiting you. Why does it have to limit me in order to want something new and different, especially a bigger sensor? When I buy a tablet, do I ask myself first why my other tablet is limiting me? Or my phone for that matter? No absolutely not, its just a matter of wanting more, newer technology, different product, all of those things.

Yes I know the 7D is technically newer technology, but that's not my point. ;)

Because in many ways a camera is as close in concept to a guitar or a piano than to a tablet. Anyone can enjoy and benefit from a better computer or tablet. Many of us would seriously be kidding ourselves by getting cameras (or instruments) that exceed our needs and abilities. Having said that it's a free market and if that's what you want it is up to you (and perhaps your significant other!).

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 08, 2012 13:34 |  #19

lungdoc wrote in post #13850020 (external link)
Because in many ways a camera is as close in concept to a guitar or a piano than to a tablet. Anyone can enjoy and benefit from a better computer or tablet. Many of us would seriously be kidding ourselves by getting cameras (or instruments) that exceed our needs and abilities. Having said that it's a free market and if that's what you want it is up to you (and perhaps your significant other!).

Disagree completely with your analogy. You don't think your rock guitar playing would sound better on angus young's rig than your off the shelf Gibson and Marshall stack? Come on.

Your needs and abilities are not the same as everyone else!

Matt
flickr (external link)

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 08, 2012 13:45 |  #20

sticknpuck wrote in post #13850059 (external link)
Disagree completely with your analogy. You don't think your rock guitar playing would sound better on angus young's rig than your off the shelf Gibson and Marshall stack? Come on.

Your needs and abilities are not the same as everyone else!

1) By your logic every high school musician should be aspiring to a Stradivarius...would it sound better..probably...is it worth it in any meaningful way, no. I certainly believe that in most actvities there is a point in which equipment is good enough to not be limiting in any meaningful way to a given user. I don't mean barely adequate, I mean that it simply isn't a limiting step (think $3000 bike for a weekend rider instead of a $12000 bike...both are plenty good enough).
2) At what point did I reference my need or ability or claim that it was the same as others?

Again, buy what you like, it keeps the economy afloat!

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 08, 2012 13:56 |  #21

lungdoc wrote in post #13850020 (external link)
Many of us would seriously be kidding ourselves by getting cameras (or instruments) that exceed our needs and abilities.

I don't think a 5DII would exceed any of our abilities. The cameras still operate on the same platform they are just have different qualities.

In many ways I think it's closer to your computer and tablet statement - anyone will benefit from high ISO performance. Same goes for 7D. I you were a 5DII owner and wanted faster AF performance of 7D that's not a limitation of ones abilities, it's wanting a tool for better performance in a certain area.

Matt
flickr (external link)

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 08, 2012 14:07 |  #22

Good point, maybe the bicycle is a better analogy - I could certainly ride Lance's $12 000 bike, no matter how little difference it made to my weekend rides!

Mark

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 08, 2012 14:22 |  #23

lungdoc wrote in post #13850268 (external link)
Good point, maybe the bicycle is a better analogy - I could certainly ride Lance's $12 000 bike, no matter how little difference it made to my weekend rides!

Might be a more uncomfortable but probably faster I bet. ;)

As you can tell i'm in a similar situation to the OP, but I'm going to wait for the latest generation announcement before making a decision. I have a 60D now and won't upgrade unless the new 5D has an articulating screen. Silly I know, but I don't think I could live without it now.

Cheers

Matt
flickr (external link)

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 08, 2012 14:33 |  #24

I think you'll be waiting a long time to see a FF with an articulating screen - seems there's more haters than lovers of that and it gets (probably unfairly) perceived as 'amateur' in many comments. Easy connections (maybe wireless) to add-on screens (tablets etc) might come first given the video users of DSLR's and their needs.

Mark

jrmy
475 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 08, 2012 14:54 |  #25

How old and in what condition is the 17-55? I may be interested in buying it. PM me if you're serious.

Check out my site (external link), as well as my gear and feedback.
5D Mark III | 16-35 II | 24-105 | 50 1.8 II | 70-200 2.8 IS II

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 08, 2012 15:06 |  #26

lungdoc wrote in post #13850473 (external link)
I think you'll be waiting a long time to see a FF with an articulating screen - seems there's more haters than lovers of that and it gets (probably unfairly) perceived as 'amateur' in many comments. Easy connections (maybe wireless) to add-on screens (tablets etc) might come first given the video users of DSLR's and their needs.

Yeah you're right - It's just not high on professionals priority list. It probably doesn't meet professional needs for durability (weather sealing etc.) either.

Matt
flickr (external link)

David83
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 08, 2012 15:29 as a reply to  @ sticknpuck's post |  #27

LOL..i went from a 50D to a 7D and loved it ..then from a 7D to a 5D2 and really loved that ,now i just went from a 5D2 to a 1Ds 2 and love that even more hahaha! im steady going backwards and getting happier:cool:

Sony A9 / Sony A7RIII / Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Master / Sony 24-70mm F2.8 G Master / Sony 85mm 1.4 G Master / Sony 50mm 1.8 =)

LudwigVB
408 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 08, 2012 15:34 |  #28

chugger93 wrote in post #13849947 (external link)
Thanks everyone;

My only grip is when people ask why your current gear is limiting you. Why does it have to limit me in order to want something new and different, especially a bigger sensor? When I buy a tablet, do I ask myself first why my other tablet is limiting me? Or my phone for that matter? No absolutely not, its just a matter of wanting more, newer technology, different product, all of those things.

Yes I know the 7D is technically newer technology, but that's not my point. ;)

^ +1

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 08, 2012 15:46 |  #29

Sounds like a pretty mixed opinion environment so I just have to give it some thought and make a decision. I guess I was really only concerned and wanted others thoughts on the shooting style perspective. If I went FF now, would I regret it later with my kids getting into sports. That was my concern. Or maybe it wouldn't be a big a deal as I'm making it

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 11, 2012 10:38 |  #30

Another quick question for 5d2 owners. You cant assign buttons on the 5d2 like you can on the 7D correct? Or maybe its not as advanced but you can do some assignments? Can you at least do back button focusing assignment?

My other question is, I have hit and miss focusing issues with my 35L. Its very strange. Some photos are tack on, others arnt and theres no difference in lighting, settings etc. What are the chances this lens performs perfectly on a 5d2? Is it possible my body is just not calibrated for it on some aspect? Even know I know it can be the lens as well.

I'm just debating on renting it for 150 bucks or just buying it, and if I don't like it, I can always resell. Renting seems like a waste on some regard

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------

sponsored links

4,273 views & 0 likes for this thread
FF Guidance Is it the right move for me
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.