Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 23:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

(Worth it?)Canon EOS 60D or...

frankwite
400 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 07, 2012 08:46 |  #31

mickeyb105 wrote in post #13838446 (external link)
The T2i is a lot of camera for the money. It offers a 18 mp and the same sensor used in the T3i/60D/7D, and takes HD video—pretty darn good for a consumer-grade camera. Hold them both and lay with them a little bit to get a general feel for what it would be like to operate them.

I love my 60D but if I would probably also be happy with the T2i. Some say it is too small, some say it is just right, but few dispute the quality of images and video it is capable of shooting. Getting a T2i for around $500 is a steal, but so is getting a 60D for $650ish via the Canon Loyalty Program.

As for lenses, check out the forum here for lenses at a discount from buying new.

This^ I have both, the T2i|60D and love them both. I only bought the 60D for the flip screen (for video) and the wireless flash capabilites. When I don't plan to shoot wireless ttl or video I take my handy T2i (which is probably my favorite between the two). How is that possible, well I like how lightweight the T2i is and I can easily throw it in a small bag with the canon 50mm 1.4 attached to it. I can take it everywhere without the weight.

Either camera is a good purchase and if you're a hobbyist like me that doesn't shoot in the rain or underwater either camera will serve you for years to come. Stick with what you're looking at and don't get pulled into the 7D/5D hype. As you've seen already people here will look over what you asked about and suggest that you buy something that you didn't even mention or that's not in your budget. Stick to your guns.

And to answer your other question always invest in good glass over camera bodies. To find some good people portraits taken with both cameras check out flickr. Good luck.

5D ll | 5D | SL1 | Lumix LX7 | 24-105L| 70-200L| 135L| 85 1.8| 50 1.4| 28 1.8| 50 1.8 ll| 40 2.8 STM| 35 2.0|75-300 lll|18-55 STM| 28-75 2.8

sponsored links
mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 07, 2012 09:17 |  #32

since the t2i an dthe 60D have the same sensor, they have the the same IQ, what the 60D offers if easier control over the settings, its worth it IMO.

but do not get the kit lens. it sucks. i hated it so much i didn't even want to use it. your results may vary but i am much happier with my tamrons.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2012 09:31 |  #33

mike_311 wrote in post #13841336 (external link)
since the t2i an dthe 60D have the same sensor, they have the the same IQ, what the 60D offers if easier control over the settings, its worth it IMO.

but do not get the kit lens. it sucks. i hated it so much i didn't even want to use it. your results may vary but i am much happier with my tamrons.

They have the same DIGIC processor and the same sensor. Do they have the same firmware?

We hear differences on the 7D's AA filter and that being the source of difficulties. How about the AA filter on the 60D. Is it the same? Different?

Just my $0.02

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,537 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2012 13:10 |  #34

Naraly wrote in post #13838957 (external link)
I actually found a t21 for $400 body only on craigslist, but I would have to check it out to make sure it's in good condition. However I'm planning to make trip to the only camera store anywhere near my area, maybe I'll be able to find a good deal there or have a change of heart about what camera I prefer :)

Sorry about assuming you were a guy! :(

A T2i for $400??:eek: Amazing deal even if it isn't pristine, IMO.

Happy Hunting! :)

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 07, 2012 14:20 |  #35

Best thing to do would be go to a store where you can actually handle and study each camera... T2i, T3i, 60D... and see which you feel most comfortable with. The 60D is a nice upgrade to the Rebel series in a number of ways.... better battery life, better viewfinder (a true pentaprism), better AF system (all cross-type, vs one cross-type/center point only), better build, more durable shutter, more rigid metal chassis, 1/8000 shutter and 1/250 flash sync (vs 1/4000, 1/250), higher frame rate... and more. A lot of people prefer the control layout and ergonomics, too, though it's different on 60D than on earlier xxD cameras. Essentially it's designed for more direct access to top functions, making it a faster handling camera (with practice it should be possible to make many adjustments without taking the camera away from your eye).

But many people really like the Rebel/xxxD models too... and they are quite capable cameras. Nice and compact, that makes them good travel companions.

Handle both, study how their controls work... See what you like and will have the most fun taking out and shooting.

The most important factors of all... imaging capabilities... are virtually identical across all the current "crop" models.

And keep as much budget as possible for lenses... ultimately lenses are far more important, have more direct impact on image qualitieis than the camera used behind them. The camera is more about conveniences, bells & whistles... the lenses are what actually "make" the image.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 07, 2012 14:23 |  #36

$400 is a good price for a T2i. The OP mentioned growing into a camera which is why I think the 60d would be better suited. My T2i still serves me perfectly well, but I got a 60d because I needed those extra features and convenience.
If money is that much of a concern, then without question, the T2i is the clear choice!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 07, 2012 14:27 |  #37

I was in your exact same situation a year ago. There was a good deal on the 60D kit and I went with it and I have never looked back. The 60D, while yes it has the same sensor, has a lot of under the hood improvements that justify its cost.

It's faster, 5.3 FPS

It has a pentaprism viewfinder that uses a single cut piece of glass instead of the set of pentamirrors that the Rebels use, making it clearer and brighter

All of the focus points are cross-type, with the center being dual cross with a lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or larger (which means a lower number). This is a huge advantage for autofocus.

It has a more granular exposure control allowing you to make adjustments in 1/3 stop instead of 1/2.

It has dual wheels and a directional pad, these are very significant ergonomic improvements that you will fall in love with.

Top LCD screen is great for quickly checking your settings, especially when the camera is on a tripod or you are walking around.

It uses the much higher capacity battery that the 7D uses, I can get 3000 shots on a single charge in daylight, it's amazing and it just goes forever.

The overall build quality and materials are one step up from the Rebel line and it has a more durable shutter mechanism.

Vs. the T2i, it also has the swivel screen and wireless flash control (both of these are in the T3i).

I am very happy with my 60D and right now I am not "wanting more"..if I had a rebel I know I would always be looking wistfully at the 60D and wondering if I should have gotten one.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 07, 2012 14:27 |  #38

frankwite wrote in post #13841145 (external link)
Either camera is a good purchase and if you're a hobbyist like me that doesn't shoot in the rain or underwater either camera will serve you for years to come. Stick with what you're looking at and don't get pulled into the 7D/5D hype. As you've seen already people here will look over what you asked about and suggest that you buy something that you didn't even mention or that's not in your budget.

To be honest, probably the best advice you'll get in this entire thread *thumbs up*

My junk

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 07, 2012 16:13 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #39

I mentioned the 5d as in the original 5d. They can be found for around $800 which is the same price as the 60d. So I did not recommend a camera that is hype or expensive. It is within the budget that was suggested by the 60d or 60d kit.

advantages of the 5d are
Full Frame (wide view and shallow DOF with similar lens to APS C)
proven reliability
smooth and easy to work with images

For shooting what she suggested it is the perfect camera. I own a 60d and like it alot. I dont even want a 5d so I dont buy into the "gotta have a full frame" hype. but for her intended uses its a perfect camera.
I have found that the 60d images NEED post processing to make them look good (to me and many others that own the camera)

Its just a suggestion though, obviously buy what you want. I just wanted to give another option that you may not have thought of yet.

My Flickr (external link)

mcowens
188 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 07, 2012 16:57 |  #40

depends on what u r going to use it for but here is a video i shot in the city
http://youtu.be/nFdVTH​PONRo (external link)

Canon 50D Griped, Canon 7D, Sigma 10-20F/4-5.6, Canon 17-40F/4L, Canon 50F/1.4, Canon 70-200F/4L Canon 580EXii, 430EXii, Manfrotto 679B MonoPod, some old decent tripod, GaryFong, Umbrellas,Wireless flash triggers, Studio Back Drop/Flash Stands........

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 08, 2012 14:19 |  #41

mpix345 wrote in post #13839152 (external link)
Keep scanning the classifieds here as well. A T2i + Tamron 17-50 could've been had for $715 earlier today, and an 85/1.8 is available for $300 right now.

Thank you for mentioning that I had not noticed there was classifieds in this forum! I will certainly be checking in on it :)

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 08, 2012 14:23 |  #42

starview wrote in post #13839007 (external link)
I was all set to buy a T3i and almost ordered off Amazon but I decided to run to the best buy here (no camera shop in my town) and just get a hands on before I ordered. Went right to the DSLRs and played with the T3i and T2i and was all like "yep T3i for me" then right before I left I picked up the 60D and it felt soooo much better in my hand. T3i is the best value imo but I couldn't pass up how much I liked how the 60D felt (which is now on order).

It's hard to know which one feels right when I go to best buy, having that wire they're attached to for security purposes really takes away from the natural feel, but in a few days I will be going to a real camera store and hopefully one will feel right for me there :)

Cheers,
Nora

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 08, 2012 14:27 |  #43

boingy wrote in post #13839313 (external link)
You will be far more happy with a T2i and better glass than a 60D and a kit lens. The T2i will take you far and any upgrade in the beginning will be pure gear lust rather than it's features in comparison to other APS-C cameras. Like everyone has mentioned IQ will be the same as a 60D and 7D. Unless your interest fall into the category where certain features of a camera is key to capture a shot you will not be sorry. Spend the rest of the cash on better glass, flash and a decent tripod. In the meantime increase your knowledge of the basics and keep practicing/experimenti​ng...

Very good advice! The more and more I look into lenses and the different specialties and potentials makes me want to invest more on lenses than the camera itself from the begining. If I get a 60D now, I'm going to have a difficult time gathering money for lenses and will probably have to wait quite a while (me being inpatient doesn't work out! Haha)

Cheers,
Nora

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 08, 2012 14:29 |  #44

Sounds like a T2i is the front runner! You'll be happy regardless :)

My junk

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 08, 2012 14:33 |  #45

frankwite wrote in post #13841145 (external link)
This^ I have both, the T2i|60D and love them both. I only bought the 60D for the flip screen (for video) and the wireless flash capabilites. When I don't plan to shoot wireless ttl or video I take my handy T2i (which is probably my favorite between the two). How is that possible, well I like how lightweight the T2i is and I can easily throw it in a small bag with the canon 50mm 1.4 attached to it. I can take it everywhere without the weight.

Either camera is a good purchase and if you're a hobbyist like me that doesn't shoot in the rain or underwater either camera will serve you for years to come. Stick with what you're looking at and don't get pulled into the 7D/5D hype. As you've seen already people here will look over what you asked about and suggest that you buy something that you didn't even mention or that's not in your budget. Stick to your guns.

And to answer your other question always invest in good glass over camera bodies. To find some good people portraits taken with both cameras check out flickr. Good luck.

Thumbs up :D. Reading about people having both the t2i and 60D, and liking both cameras equally in their own way makes me feel better about getting a t2i. The guy at best buy made me feel like it was more of a "toy" camera compared to the rest, but now I believe it does have potential and I plan to use it to its highest potential :) meanwhile I find a good deal on a 60D!

Cheers,
Nora

sponsored links

10,568 views & 0 likes for this thread
(Worth it?)Canon EOS 60D or...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.