Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 20:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Brand new here...Just bought a T3i...now what?

nmcqueen469
111 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 08, 2012 15:09 |  #31

mike_311 wrote in post #13848352 (external link)
leave this forum before you start getting gear lust.

This.

T3i | EF-S 18-135mm IS | EF-S 55-250mm IS | EF 50mm 1.8 | 50mm 1.4

sponsored links
nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 15:30 |  #32

mike_311 wrote in post #13848352 (external link)
leave this forum before you start getting gear lust.

So true.

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

Amamba
Goldmember
3,685 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 08, 2012 15:34 |  #33

2OP: the only thing you may want to spend money on is a good external flash like 430EXII. If you do any portraits in limited lighting (like inside the house) it would make tons of difference.

I really wouldn't spend any more money on any gear until you've used camera for at least 5-6 months, know what you like shooting, know your equipment, know it's limitations, and what you need to overcome them to match your tastes. Otherwise you may spend money on one thing and later wish you'd bought the other.

The kit lens is not bad, and coupled with the flash it should work fine for starters.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 08, 2012 15:52 |  #34

That sounds good, my only concern is a zoom. My sons start baseball in about 6 weeks and I would like some close-up shots while they play. The seating area is about 60-80 feet from the field and I'm afraid my current lens will have too much field and not enough subject (lost in the background). I may be underestimating my lens, I haven't even taken it outside yet due to rain/snow.

GEAR LIST

huntingskeetman
103 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 08, 2012 15:55 |  #35

Get the Canon 430EXII flash for it, you'll find out the on camera flash just doesn't cut it. You'll want to experiment with bounce and off-camera lighting to obtain dramatic and best results. It's all the flash most people will need.

GARY

Canon 60D, 15-85IS, 60 macro, 100-400 IS, 430 EX II

eosphotomanoftennessee
268 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 08, 2012 16:04 |  #36

Don't shoot in full auto mode (green box) unless you have to. Learn how to select which focus point you want to use (most use the center point). Sounds like you won't really need an external flash so go for a zoom, sky is the limit there, depends on how much you want to spend. Welcome!

Doug, osphotoman@yahoo.com (external link)
7D
;), Canon SX1 IS, Film Rebel for history
300L, 70-200L, 50 1.8, 28-105 EF, Sigma 18-50 EF-S
580Speedlite, AB Ring Flash, Excalibur 320, 2- Morris Optical Slaves
Adobe CS5 Extended, Wacom Graphics Tablet

Scoro
86 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 08, 2012 16:11 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

Sell it and get a 5D2.

Disregard Photographs, Acquire Gear
MISC Brah

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 08, 2012 16:20 |  #38

Scoro wrote in post #13851249 (external link)
Sell it and get a 5D2.

IMAGE: http://images.dvdtalk.com/images/smilies/sad.gif

GEAR LIST

Ace ­ and ­ Deuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,749 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 08, 2012 16:31 |  #39

Thanks!

So the on-camera flash is pretty crappy in comparison to the 430 EX II?

Also, looking at zooms is like looking through a Chinese phonebook, lol. I'll probably wait a month or two for a zoom, but I definitely want to get one before baseball season starts.

GEAR LIST

photogs_spouse
75 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 08, 2012 17:15 |  #40

Welcome.:)
Read through the manual and carry it with you. If you don't want to carry the whole manual you can find the e-copy on your included disks or visit the Canon website for the pdf.
Get familiar with the free software on your disks, too. It is all you need until you outgrow it.

You might want an extra battery, depends on you. Ditto for memory card.
Possibly a tripod in the future. Sturdy. Wind won't shake it. Cheap usually doesn't = sturdy.
Probably a flash, but decide for yourself.
circular polarizer?

Some of the best advice posted in the forums:
"Buy what you need only when you notice a shortcoming with what you currently have and not your skills."
"Get out and USE your camera".

If you are more of a visual learner, perhaps a dvd or two? I enjoy the ability to pause and replay until the concept penetrates my thick skull.:rolleyes:
Magic Lantern does some, as does Blue Crane.
Another book: Canon T31 from Snapshots to Great Shots (external link) Watch for the Magic Lantern book as well.

When I get a new camera, I play with it on stationary objects, then wind blown flowers, nice moving small animals, then larger animals and finally children and larger moving objects. Snails move really fast. Children get grumpy during camera fiddling. {Still remember facing into the sun while Dad metered and metered and metered for a few snapshots.}

If you really want some fun for you and your boys, have the kids pick things for you to shoot. Toys, outside walks, whatever.
They could line up a series of toys head on to lens and let you try focusing at different distances and see what happens. You learn your lens features and abilities, and they help.
Some of the most amazing images in the show me your set-up thread came from weather boredom. Candles during a power outage, holiday lights, flower bouquets, bowls of candy are all fair game.

Zoos are fun in the winter- more intrigued animals enjoying staring at humans. You learn how to make the cage wires vanish too.
Gardens do not have to be about flowers only. Art, textures, and patterns are interesting, as well as macro shots. Cloudy days = fewer people to walk into your shots.

Know that you will have some trash-worthy shots with a few keepers. Everyone has been there. Keep on trying.

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 08, 2012 17:22 |  #41

You need the other half of the equation, post processing software. Hobbyists go for software like Elements, Aperture and some web-based services. The learning curve is a tad steep, but you can continue to process as you learn new and more complex techniques. Good luck!

kevan's lens (external link)

downs523
130 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 08, 2012 17:22 |  #42

Amamba wrote in post #13850963 (external link)
2OP: the only thing you may want to spend money on is a good external flash like 430EXII. If you do any portraits in limited lighting (like inside the house) it would make tons of difference.

I really wouldn't spend any more money on any gear until you've used camera for at least 5-6 months, know what you like shooting, know your equipment, know it's limitations, and what you need to overcome them to match your tastes. Otherwise you may spend money on one thing and later wish you'd bought the other.

The kit lens is not bad, and coupled with the flash it should work fine for starters.

this is what i should have done but i fell for the 24-105 L lens and sold my kits lens lol

Canon 70d, Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC.

icopus
"the creep following them around taking pictures"
3,013 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 08, 2012 18:40 |  #43

Ace and Deuce wrote in post #13851377 (external link)
Thanks!

So the on-camera flash is pretty crappy in comparison to the 430 EX II?

Also, looking at zooms is like looking through a Chinese phonebook, lol. I'll probably wait a month or two for a zoom, but I definitely want to get one before baseball season starts.

The on-camera flash uses the camera battery so battery life is greatly shortened. The external flashes utilize their own batteries. This is another reason why they work out really well.

It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

sponsored links

5,972 views & 0 likes for this thread
Brand new here...Just bought a T3i...now what?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.