Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS Tripods

arbitrage
87 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 14:42 |  #286

JJD.Photography wrote in post #13847844 (external link)
It's nice to know you are not charged until the tripod is ready to ship. Also, 3 weeks waiting time is not bad either. Thanks for that info guys!

Is this RRS first release / edition of tripods? Are there 2012 models or updated versions to be released anytime in the near future?

I ask because the 100mm f/2.8L IS was released right after I picked up the original 100mm. The original is still an amazing lens just as I'd imagine the current $900 RRS tripods to be :lol:

There have been a few tweaks over the years on some minor things like the carabiner hook but these are not usually even advertised (I read about some on these forums). They won't be making some radical redesign anytime soon or ever. So don't worry about buying "old" technology. Send them an email and ask for a shipping estimate for whatever tripod you want. They are a relatively small company and all there gear is made of the highest quality aluminum and CF (the weave is bloody gorgeous:eek:). It is also all made in the USA so they usually will know exactly when and how much stock they will be getting of a certain model. They are super expensive and when buying mine it was going to be my first real tripod. I didn't want to play the yearly tripod upgrade game that many fall into so I only considered the Gitzo and the RRS. The RRS just had the best specs and the reviews I found out on the web really raved about the 33 and 34L and these were all people who had used Gitzos for years and even were replacing 5-series Gitzos with 3-series RRSs which gave you 5 series load support in a 3-series size/weight. The only negative review I found was a vibration test done on Nikonians forums of the 33 vs one of the 3 series Gitzos (I think one of the 4 section ones) and he found the Gitzo to produce more stable images. Everything else I've read has the RRS on top.

1DX / 5DMKIII / 1DMKIV / 7DII / Bower 14 f/2.8 / 17-40 f/4 / 24-70 f/2.8 II / 24-105 f/4 IS / 40 f/2.8 / 70-200 f/2.8 IS II / 100-400 IS II / 200-400 f/4 IS EXT / 300 f/2.8 IS II / 600 f/4 IS II /

sponsored links
JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 09, 2012 03:38 |  #287

arbitrage wrote in post #13850554 (external link)
The only negative review I found was a vibration test done on Nikonians forums of the 33 vs one of the 3 series Gitzos (I think one of the 4 section ones) and he found the Gitzo to produce more stable images.

That review has been said to be a possible conflict of interest as the reviewer sells Gitzo and not RRS. I also read the results are exact opposite outcome with the same test. I have not looked at either test results, just from what I read.

Either way, I am pretty much sold on the RRS tripods. Just a matter of pulling the trigger. and my finger is getting quite itchy :lol:

Thanks again guys for the info!

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,480 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 09, 2012 07:22 |  #288

JJD.Photography wrote in post #13854182 (external link)
That review has been said to be a possible conflict of interest as the reviewer sells Gitzo and not RRS. I also read the results are exact opposite outcome with the same test. I have not looked at either test results, just from what I read.

Please note that the particular reviewer you refer to (Neil Rothschild) does not sell tripods. He is a contributor to a forum where the review was published just like you and I are contributors to this forum.

The forum where the review appears has a shop like this forum, and does sell Gitzo tripods and Markins ballheads among many other things. However Rothschild is just a forum member who apparently has a lot of free time on his hands, and I believe he presented his findings honestly.

I also have not read any other performance comparisons between these high-end tripods but I'm sure they're very close, they're both fine products and the choice is really a personal decision. Enjoy your RRS tripod, I'm sure it will give you years of great service!

~Peter

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 09, 2012 11:17 |  #289

I had a Gitzo, the 5541 (4 sections). I was happy with everything but the weight, it was about 6.5 lbs. Replaced it with the RRS 34L, and it is noticeably easier to lug around.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 09, 2012 12:46 |  #290

JJD.Photography wrote in post #13854182 (external link)

Either way, I am pretty much sold on the RRS tripods. Just a matter of pulling the trigger. and my finger is getting quite itchy :lol:

Thanks again guys for the info!

You're in the enviable position of having a decision to make for which there is no wrong answer (choosing between RRS and Gitzo). Enjoy whichever way you go.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 09, 2012 12:48 |  #291

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #13856364 (external link)
You're in the enviable position of having a decision to make for which there is no wrong answer (choosing between RRS and Gitzo). Enjoy whichever way you go.

Very true. No matter which route you go, both are top of the line and both will perform well.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,480 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 09, 2012 13:26 |  #292

+1. Very well put, James. :)

~Peter

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 09, 2012 13:35 |  #293

Very, very true!

This also leads me to question the big difference in price. Given more time, and if after a bunch more tests both perform relatively the same...then I question the need to pay 30% more (+/-) for a RRS tripod.

Bryan

My Gear List

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 09, 2012 14:03 |  #294

As with all things, not just photography, incremental jumps in performance at the top end suffer from severe diminishing returns. After a certain point it costs a lot to get a little.

If your primary concern is getting that last little bit you have an option. If your primary concerns are more practical and revolve around cost, you too have an option.

Either way you won't get to blame your support for any bad pictures you take. :)

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 09, 2012 17:22 |  #295

bps wrote in post #13856659 (external link)
Very, very true!

This also leads me to question the big difference in price. Given more time, and if after a bunch more tests both perform relatively the same...then I question the need to pay 30% more (+/-) for a RRS tripod.

Bryan

It was worth it to me. There is a thread here (recent) on (non) support from Gitzo. Assuming you're in the US and able to use a phone, support will not be a problem with RRS.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 09, 2012 20:39 |  #296

rick_reno wrote in post #13858004 (external link)
It was worth it to me. There is a thread here (recent) on (non) support from Gitzo. Assuming you're in the US and able to use a phone, support will not be a problem with RRS.

Very true. RRS has outstanding customer support.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge RRS fan and I'm looking forward to seeing a RRS tripod in -person sometime and seeing more results.

Bryan

My Gear List

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 16, 2012 03:46 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #297

Can someone give a brief review or post pics of the supplied "dust bag" that comes with the TVC-33? I'm not talking about the $80 bag RRS offers. This one is said to be included with the tripod purchase. I read it on RRS's site earlier, but can't find it now.

Thank you

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 16, 2012 09:55 |  #298

JJD.Photography wrote in post #13907002 (external link)
Can someone give a brief review or post pics of the supplied "dust bag" that comes with the TVC-33? I'm not talking about the $80 bag RRS offers. This one is said to be included with the tripod purchase. I read it on RRS's site earlier, but can't find it now.

Thank you

It's a very lightweight bag, mine tore right away. I'd take a picture, but am not sure where it is.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 16, 2012 19:27 |  #299

It reminded me of the Gitzo dust bag in build and quality, but a tad more coarse in material. I doubt it would make a good long-term storage/transport solution and that's certainly not what RRS intended it for.

Edited to add the pic:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 16, 2012 23:07 |  #300

I guess these dust bags are perfect for storing the tripod in a your closet, but I've never used the one that came with my Gitzo tripod.

Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links

112,499 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS Tripods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.