Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 06:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Large (HUGE) Format Print Labs

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 09, 2012 06:55 |  #1

I have been trying to find a lab that can print a large panoramic for me. All of the sites that have an upload feature have given me errors or are not able to handle my image size. does anyone know of a lab that can print a 3994 x 233 pano besides banner printing companies?

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

sponsored links
LARAB
73 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 09, 2012 07:26 |  #2

From WHCC website:

Q. What is the largest size you can print and mount?
A. We can print 30" wide by 12 feet long. We commonly make prints to 96" and longer. We do not mount prints larger than 30x40. We only texture prints up to 24x30 and lustre coating no longer than 60".

Big enough? -Brian

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,141 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 09, 2012 08:20 |  #3

I assume those are pixel dimensions (3994 x 233 pixels). That is not a particularly large (in terms of pixel numbers) image. What resolution are you using to get your final physical dimensions? For example, if you printed your file at 150 ppi, then the physical dimension of the print, in inches, would be:

3994 pixels / (150 px/in) = ~27 inches in the long dimension. Note that at 150 pip, the small dimension will be only:

233 pixels / 150 px/in = 1.5 inches tall.

Is this what you are expecting?

kirk

Kirk
---

DBNissan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 09, 2012 09:10 |  #4

Sorry, I forgot the image was compressed. The original image is 18100 x 1056 pixels.

Would 150ppi look okay or should it be at 300ppi or higher?

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 09, 2012 10:02 |  #5

A place that does 23" x 120", and they mention up to 40'
http://www.postersize-it.com/Prices2.html (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,313 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 09, 2012 10:28 |  #6

DBNissan wrote in post #13855172 (external link)
Sorry, I forgot the image was compressed. The original image is 18100 x 1056 pixels.

Would 150ppi look okay or should it be at 300ppi or higher?

Many labs state that they need 300 ppi to print a given pixel count to a given size. So if we want a 45x30" final size, they want a file of 13500x9000 pixels.

As to the 'would 150ppi look OK...?', the response is simply "When viewed at what viewing distance?!".

• If I look at a 150ppi print from 40" away, and I look at a 300ppi print from 20" away, the two prints will appear to be identical in quality.
  • If I look at both from 20" away, I probably can discern a difference in quality.
  • If I look at both from 100' away, I might not be able to discern a difference because it is human vision which is the limit to 'quality'.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,141 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 09, 2012 11:17 |  #7

I chose 150 ppi arbitrarily, simply because 240 ppi or 300 ppi would have made the image minuscule at the pixel dimensions originally cited.

Bottom line - what size, physically, do you want the print to be? With very long and narrow panoramic prints, there are factors that make printing a trade off. Are you going to frame this? If so, what are you going to do - try to find a stock frame, or have a custom frame made? Because the image is very wide compared to height, at some point the height of the image will be so physically small that height will probably drive the choice of dimensions. So, let's say you want your image to end up being 8 inches tall:

for an 8 inch tall image at 300 ppi, you need 2400 pixels in the image height dimension. Currently, according to your post, your original does not have the necessary pixel dimension (you stated that your original is 18,100 px wide by 1056 px tall). If you choose a print resolution of 300 ppi, then the maximum height your print can be, without adding pixels artificially is 3.5 inches. if you print your current original at 300 ppi, your panorama will be:

60 inches (5 feet!) wide by 3.5 inches tall.

Is this what you were envisioning? Very wide and not very tall. At 240 ppi, you would get something like:

75 inches wide by 4.4 inches tall. In your case, the aspect ratio of your image is like 17 to 1, so your attempt to make the image taller will necessarily make it really wide, and attempting to make it narrower will necessarily make it really short, regardless of what final physical size and resolution your print.

That being said, you need to contact the lab that will ultimately print your image and have them specify the requirements for the final print size. I have had a 20 foot wide by 8 foot tall equirectangular panorama dye-sub printed on fabric from an original that was 14kpx wide (the aspect ratio of an equirect. pano is 2:1, so that the top and bottom was cropped). I had to upres the image for the printer, but the combination of the printer resolution and the viewing conditions worked out well, even at very close viewing distance. So, work with the lab and see what they require.

kirk

Kirk
---

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 09, 2012 12:28 |  #8

My R2880 will print at 13" and as long as I want it on roll paper, so the technology exists "out there".

My own experience tells me not to try and stretch those pixels too thin. Why not try an A4 print of a section at a variety of different PPI and make up your own mind what you are happy with?

You do seem to have a problem getting enough resolution to get a decent height for the image.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 09, 2012 13:20 |  #9

DBNissan wrote in post #13854606 (external link)
I have been trying to find a lab that can print a large panoramic for me. All of the sites that have an upload feature have given me errors or are not able to handle my image size. does anyone know of a lab that can print a 3994 x 233 pano besides banner printing companies?

What print dimensions (in inches) were you asking for?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 09, 2012 13:42 |  #10

Without desired print dimensions you won't get any useful advice. Any lab can print your 18,000 pixel image as a 6x4.

If you've got it at 150ppi that's 120". I don't see a problem with that, any pro lab should be fine with it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

mattymx
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 09, 2012 13:49 |  #11

Contact this member here on POTN. He did some huge prints for me a while back and they were amazing. His name is John.

-Matty-
Motion Picture Lighting Tech
Canon 1D Mark III & 7D-
EF 70-200 F2.8 MKII L EF 24-105L
mattymx.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
Large (HUGE) Format Print Labs
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.