Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Nikon D800 or wait"
Switching now
12.5%
Waiting for Canon announcement
35.7%
Loyal Canon fan for life. :)
51.8%

830 voters, 830 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who's making the switch to Nikon / D800

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 16:09 |  #76

CSMFoto wrote in post #13849314 (external link)
Convincing? You tell me! >>http://www.kenrockwell​.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm (external link) Why to switch! <<

Ummm... is this a serious comment or just silliness???

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

sponsored links
CSMFoto
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 08, 2012 16:14 |  #77

Not a sickness, just a good observation.

Facebook (external link) | CSM Photography (external link) | Gear
I got some camera's & lens'.

LucidPhoto70
206 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 08, 2012 16:20 |  #78

I wanted to take the leap to FF and won't be making anymore lens or flash purchases until both bodies are out and thoroughly reviewed. At that point I'll make a decision if it makes sense financially to switch. Till then, I'll continue shooting and loving it as always. It's just a set of tools to me.

5D3 + L glass = FUN!

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 08, 2012 16:29 |  #79

pyrojim wrote in post #13849060 (external link)
I suspect there is far more complaining than actual shooting.

No, i don't suspect it, actually. this thread HIGHLIGHTS it.

i shoot and then complain.

i did a shoot this past weekend where the studio was kind of dimly lit. using my 5d2 and 70-200 2.8 IS II. and it really sucks that every shot using the outside points would be OOF or it would just hunt. focus recomposed work sometimes. missed a lot too. some of my favorite shots backfocused. its not the lens or me. in good light the shots are spot on and sharp. i would purposely press the AF-on button like 4 times before i fire a shot just to make sure.... still off. good ol 5d2 AF with 1 useable AF point... sometimes

went outdoors all shots were perfect.

a better AF system sure would make my work easier and save me time. i sure would like to get my shot the first time around... not try like 5 times for shot

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 08, 2012 16:40 |  #80

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13851232 (external link)
Ummm... is this a serious comment or just silliness???

Just dumb. Ken Rockwell is a bit of a pillock. You just have to read a bit further on his website to quickly get irritated with his brash approach to things. He's made a lot of worthy observations with gear but his delivery lets him down.

His initial observation of the D800 should go down as a classic: "It's really 36MP! Nikon wins the DSLR race and blows Canon back to 1934!" Seriously, what a pillock

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 16:52 |  #81

Jahled wrote in post #13851441 (external link)
Just dumb. Ken Rockwell is a bit of a pillock. You just have to read a bit further on his website to quickly get irritated with his brash approach to things. He's made a lot of worthy observations with gear but his delivery lets him down.

His initial observation of the D800 should go down as a classic: "It's really 36MP! Nikon wins the DSLR race and blows Canon back to 1934!" Seriously, what a pillock

The link this goes to is from 2006 and in it even Ken Rockwell admits that really there's no major difference - that the brands will occasionally leapfrog each other but both are great cameras.

I just wasn't sure if the link was posted as a kind of joke about Nikon getting "better" and that the Ken Rockwell site was just to add to the joke (since he is well-known as a Nikon DSLR fanboy)....

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 08, 2012 17:00 |  #82

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13851501 (external link)
The link this goes to is from 2006 and in it even Ken Rockwell admits that really there's no major difference - that the brands will occasionally leapfrog each other but both are great cameras.

I just wasn't sure if the link was posted as a kind of joke about Nikon getting "better" and that the Ken Rockwell site was just to add to the joke (since he is well-known as a Nikon DSLR fanboy)....

Ken obviously prefers to use his fingers with Nikon DSLR's, fair be. Each to their own, I personally can't stand how Nikon cameras work with your fingers. What makes me laugh, consistently with this guy, are such rib-hurting statements he comes out with such as "It's really 36MP! Nikon wins the DSLR race and blows Canon back to 1934!". Oh really Ken

Seriously, when the guy comes out with crap like that, do you really take the rest of what he has to say seriously?

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 17:21 |  #83

I never take someone who seems too one-sided or biased very seriously. It's part of what makes me uncomfortable being so invested in Canon at the moment. If it is all I ever shoot can I really offer a valid opinion about it? I can read about Nikon's offerings, and see on paper where some of them look a little short-sighted (their 1 series), but really have no first-hand knowledge of them to find any reason to declare "Canon definitely is better."

So when I talk about how much I love what I do have I wonder what I don't know sometimes. I guess I'm not going to start writing any Canon blogs anytime in the near future. Maybe chickens and farming. I might have enough experience to write about that...

You can call me Wuzzi

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,224 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Feb 08, 2012 19:45 |  #84

Jahled wrote in post #13848337 (external link)
They will have to if we all start wondering over to Nikon :)

Actually my next Camera is going to be an M9 so neither Nikon or Canon or in my future both for the same reasons.

FinancialWar
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 09, 2012 03:42 |  #85

I think the real argument is that Nikon has finally caught up in the video race.

I have been stuck with the D700 and was really envy of 5Dmark2 owners.

Nikon D700 (sold), 50mm 1.4G
Canon S95
Nikon for DSLR, Canon for compact

S ­ P
174 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 09, 2012 07:49 |  #86

Well I switched from Nikon TO Canon back in 2010 while it seemed like most were going the opposite direction, and I'm very impressed with what Nikon has come out with. The D3s is the best currently available high ISO sports body. Will be interesting to see how the 1Dx and D4 match up. The D800 will be the highest resolution body available of anybody's. And from the looks of things they'll also have the best video features, too.

But I'm not going anywhere. :)

Nikon seems to have missed the FULLY customizable and lockable camera memory banks on the D4 and D800, that the 5D2 and many other Canon cameras and even their own D7000 has had for awhile now. I simply can't live without that and would go crazy otherwise. Landscapes require one set of settings, while outdoor action shots of my kids require completely different settings, and the indoor high ISO requires something totally different once again. They're still missing some lenses that I'd want, and most of their lenses are a good 25% higher than the Canon equivalents. Just bought the 35/1.4L on rebate for $1255. The Nikon 35/1.4G is out of stock everywhere and $400 more. Was tired of paying the "Nikon tax".

If you're a FULL-TIME pro Nikon is definitely tough to beat, but Canon still serves my needs better.

Steve
Instagram:@canikonnomnom (external link)

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 09, 2012 07:59 |  #87

S P wrote in post #13854791 (external link)
They're still missing some lenses that I'd want, and most of their lenses are a good 25% higher than the Canon equivalents. Just bought the 35/1.4L on rebate for $1255. The Nikon 35/1.4G is out of stock everywhere and $400 more. Was tired of paying the "Nikon tax".

If you're a FULL-TIME pro Nikon is definitely tough to beat, but Canon still serves my needs better.

When I was upgrading my body and lenses to better quality ones this January I considered Nikon. Hubby tends to be easier to nickel and dime than get large purchases out of, though, and the higher prices on lenses at Nikon and assurances by many pros that the differences between the bodies seems to leapfrog back and forth was what made me stay with the Canon brand. That and there was the carrot that if I got enough lenses, etc., maybe I would let him use some of my really nice ones when I wasn't... couldn't do that if I had Nikon lenses...

A friend has offered me her studio setup. I'm not sure if she is still planning to. If she does, it includes an older Nikon body and lenses. If I get it I'll have to look at what it has and see if I want to become a two brand shooter at that point, I guess.

You can call me Wuzzi

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Feb 09, 2012 08:26 |  #88

I got a letter in the mail for NIKON School LOL. maybe a sign from God.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

BaghdadFred
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 09, 2012 09:02 |  #89

It's like comparing apples to oranges but how do you think IQ in the 1Dx will compare to the D800?

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 09, 2012 09:06 |  #90

Do Nikon cameras have a micro focus adjust like feature?

I know I've had to do that with pretty much all my Canon lenses.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

sponsored links

278,118 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who's making the switch to Nikon / D800
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.