Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 21:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who Cares About Your Photography Gear?

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,211 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 08, 2012 22:37 as a reply to  @ post 13853302 |  #16

Steven,
I can't speak to the motivations of others, but I can speak to mine. My reason for listing my camera and lens is merely to list out the tools I use, so when I post an image here at POTN viewers can see the toolset I used to capture the image. And I started doing it because I appreciated that others did it as well (whatever their motivations might be). It can be a bit more convenient than chasing down the Exif data.

I don't expect you to understand or appreciate those motivations, but try to be more tolerant and not as disparaging toward those who may have different interests than you do. Rest assured that you can put whatever you like in your own sig...I won't be starting a thread finding fault with it.

So, besides gear lists in the sig, what else don't you like about POTN members? Welcome.....I guess.:rolleyes:

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

sponsored links
Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,696 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 08, 2012 22:38 |  #17

L.J.G. wrote in post #13853403 (external link)
Hi Jim, good to see you back

Cheers Lloyd :)

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 08, 2012 22:41 |  #18

mcconnellphotos wrote in post #13853108 (external link)
I

But I wonder if it's a desire for validation that is more often than not the real motive for those lists. A pissing contest of sorts, if you will.

And I'd argue that the point of this thread is for you to demonstrate how enlightened you are for not caring about gear. Or in other words, a different kind of validation.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 08, 2012 23:33 |  #19

What hasn't been mentioned is that photography is a field that is overflowing with hobbyists/enthusiasts, and photography forums are a representation of that. And, with hobby forums, it's common and part of the fun to have your "gear" in your sig, whether it be photography gear, your cool auto, your cool motorcycle, your cool, well, whatever.

'Course we have a broad variety of "types of shooters" and some obviously don't go that route, but hopefully it's not because they feel "a little bit superior".

In fact we are all in this particular forum because, well, most of us are photographers, but all of us presumably have at least in interest in Canon gear, many of us have a significant investment in it, and so, as was mentioned above, there is a good amount of being "gear-oriented" here. Fortunately there are also sections like this one, "Talk about Photography", or rather General Photography Talk, and refreshingly there is a fair amount of discussion here that is actually about photography!

And, of course, there is the forum here dedicated to Photo sharing, and it rocks!

But as to sigs, well, who cares? They may be of interest to you or not. I really don't think many (if any) here are in some sort of "pissing contest", but I imagine some of the hobbyists/enthusiast feel a bit proud of the collection they've been building. It's kind of like feeling a bit proud that you were finally able to buty that Corvette, and you put it in your sig in the "Cool Car" forum.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,574 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 08, 2012 23:54 |  #20

mcconnellphotos wrote in post #13852908 (external link)
I noticed a lot of people here have a list of their gear in their signature.

We all know it's not the gear that makes a great photograph; so why bother with these lists?

And our gear isn't really what defines us, either.

Why not use your signature to list things which REALLY matter when it comes to taking a great photo. And things that REALLY define us as photographers.

Steven

Because 3/4 of the threads on this forum are about gear. You can often ask questions or give answers more briefly if all you have to do is point to your signature.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 09, 2012 00:18 |  #21

I noticed a lot of people here have a list of their gear in their signature.

We all know it's not the gear that makes a great photograph; so why bother with these lists?

And our gear isn't really what defines us, either.

Why not use your signature to list things which REALLY matter when it comes to taking a great photo. And things that REALLY define us as photographers.

Perhaps things like:

- what you're passionate about
- what your photography is about
- projects you're working on
- describe your individual style of photography
- photographers you've assisted / have been influenced by

I'd be much more interested in getting to know any of those about you, rather than the fact that you own a BG-Whatever battery grip.

Steven

If you didnt care about 'gear', why did you post in your FAQ on your website about the gear that you use? I think people on a photography discussion forum would want to know what gear you are using when reading your questions or your answers a lot more than people who does not know about photography. I wanted to know what gear you were using, and it took me longer looking through your website to find it, than if you simply had a gear link in your signature. Everyone has a right to make their signature whatever they want it to be, but I find it way more helpful when I can just click the link to see what they are using, help make suggestions, answer questions and such.

http://familyphotograp​hysydney.com.au …ography-sydney-questions/ (external link)

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

Gedanken
741 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 09, 2012 00:35 |  #22

jra wrote in post #13852958 (external link)
A gear list can come in handy when someone is posting about a problem or has a particular question, a quick glance can show exactly what the person is working with.

Spot on! :D

Gear List

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 09, 2012 01:04 |  #23

I'm a bit mysterious about my gear list since it changes all the time. Can anyone guess how many filters I own? ;)

Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 09, 2012 01:30 |  #24

I'd be much more interested in getting to know any of those about you, rather than the fact that you own a BG-Whatever battery grip.

I might be interested in seeing how you can contribute to this forum you have just joined rather than how you would like to change it :rolleyes:

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 09, 2012 01:37 as a reply to  @ Justaddwata's post |  #25

In sub-forums such as this one where the conversation is general in nature, the gear sig isn't terribly germane - but as others have said, it's helpful in the gear sub-forums when giving/receiving advice. People will post something like "I'm looking to upgrade my walkaround lens, which lens should I buy?", but without any indication of what body they're shooting and what lenses they already own it's pretty tough to offer anything resembling useful advice.

I don't see why anybody would consider gear lists in sigs to be irritating. To be honest, I don't even look at them unless they have to do with a specific question the person posted. There are some pretty great photographers shooting very mundane gear...and vice-versa.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

ajayclicks
879 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 09, 2012 05:21 |  #26

I don't list mine. Am a big gear-head and haven't figured out what I exactly need, and so I keep buying and selling stuff.

http://ajayclicks.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ajaygargphotography (external link)http://flickr.com/phot​os/ajayclicks (external link)

sweetpea44
289 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 09, 2012 07:22 |  #27

tonylong wrote in post #13853640 (external link)
What hasn't been mentioned is that photography is a field that is overflowing with hobbyists/enthusiasts, and photography forums are a representation of that. And, with hobby forums, it's common and part of the fun to have your "gear" in your sig, whether it be photography gear, your cool auto, your cool motorcycle, your cool, well, whatever.

I fall into this category. I'm a hobbyist and I saved my hard earned $$ to upgrade from the Rebel (300D) to a used T3i last month. I'm proud of my camera and it does what I need it to do. Photography is fun, so if people want to list their gear, then I have no problem with that. Plus, it is helpful when asking for advice on the forum.

My Blog (external link) My Flickr (external link)
T3i // Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM // Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC // Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS // Canon 50mm 1.8 II // 430ex :cool:

sweetpea44
289 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 09, 2012 07:23 as a reply to  @ sweetpea44's post |  #28

Actually .... all my gear was purchased used. ;)

My Blog (external link) My Flickr (external link)
T3i // Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM // Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC // Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS // Canon 50mm 1.8 II // 430ex :cool:

bespoke
710 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 09, 2012 09:26 |  #29

you are a better person and photographer than i

Toronto Fashion Photographer (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 09, 2012 09:31 |  #30

I see that you're new here... welcome to POTN

All this talk about "It's the photographer, not the gear" is so hypocritical.
I got my gear because I know that it would provide better IQ and make it easier for me to capture what I wanted to. Dare I say, gear is VERY important to photography.

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

sponsored links

7,571 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who Cares About Your Photography Gear?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.