Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 08, 2012 19:37 |  #4471

We had a recce two days before where we discussed logistics and the shot list. Every shot was staged on the day. For example, this is my shot of a previous space from my recce:

(i posted it before but i'm using a different 'before' shot that was shot on a different day to illustrate what i'm getting at)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7157/6844096801_5845690f03_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …ichaelpkelley/6​844096801/  (external link)
1DM38551 (external link) by mike kelley / mpkelley.com (external link), on Flickr

and this is the final shot, with staging and retouching that was taken two days later:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

ASCAP (external link) by mike kelley / mpkelley.com (external link), on Flickr

Granted, the recce shot is completely underexposed (i was using a 17-40 at something like f6.3 or something, in a dimly lit room, handheld)and unusable save for anything but planning and visualizing the final image, but i think that explains what might take so long.

These are also all shot tethered and the client is there approving images as they come off the camera.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links
Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 08, 2012 19:51 |  #4472

I had to lookup recce. Learned something new today.

I am not a professional, but something looks off with the 3 apple computers in the second shot. The laptop looks much smaller than I would think it should look, and the 2 iMac's look a lot wider.

I love following your work, thanks for continuing to share on this site.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 08, 2012 19:56 |  #4473

Here are a few from today (real Estate).

Please C&C as I want to improve.

All shot with Canon 5DMkII and Canon TSE 17 mm. Processed 7 images in LR Enfuse (exposure fusion) and extra shot per set with a flash bounced off of ceiling.

Here is the link for the rest of them : Today's shoot (external link)
I know its a link and I don't expect you all to visit it but if you do, please feel free to comment in these forums. Thank you.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,317 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Feb 08, 2012 21:14 |  #4474

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #13852403 (external link)
That's an insane amount of time compared to RE shooting. Did you guys already have designated places to shoot or was it all done on the fly? I wonder if it could've been done much faster if it was planned in advance.

I was shooting something for a client in a new wing that had yet to open and Hedrich Blessing was doing the architectural shots and it was a half day to get one shot. Large format digital, half dozen assistants, 10 maybe 12 lights etc.

So I'd say 5 shots in 6 hours is crank'n especially for the quality that the client is getting.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 08, 2012 21:14 |  #4475

What lens did you use for the exterior shot? It's not a bad photo but the perspective along the right-hand corner looks funny. Almost like the front is a one-dimensional facade like they'd use in the movies.

The distortion in #2 also seems off. The couch looks like it's resting on a sloping floor and the ceiling looks higher on the right side than on the left. Would shooting from the exact center of the room have helped with that problem?

Other than that, I like your compositions, colors, and exposures. Good job. (Perhaps darken the side of the slightly opened dresser drawer?)

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 08, 2012 22:47 |  #4476

cacawcacaw wrote in post #13852956 (external link)
What lens did you use for the exterior shot? It's not a bad photo but the perspective along the right-hand corner looks funny. Almost like the front is a one-dimensional facade like they'd use in the movies.

The distortion in #2 also seems off. The couch looks like it's resting on a sloping floor and the ceiling looks higher on the right side than on the left. Would shooting from the exact center of the room have helped with that problem?

Other than that, I like your compositions, colors, and exposures. Good job. (Perhaps darken the side of the slightly opened dresser drawer?)

Thank you sir. I will try and correct what you pointed out on my next shoot.

Lens used was 17mm TSE by Canon

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

discoduck
514 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 09, 2012 06:33 |  #4477

Good shots Joe, I like them. I see you've photoshopped the tv lol. Nice.

5Dc | 17-40 L
LivingPhoto.ca (external link) - Real Estate Photography
Facebook (external link) - How about a "Like"? :D

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 09, 2012 12:13 |  #4478

discoduck wrote in post #13854548 (external link)
Good shots Joe, I like them. I see you've photoshopped the tv lol. Nice.

Thank you. Yes I photoshoped the TV, I always do now. My clients like it. I also photoshop fire places.

Feedback

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,317 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Feb 09, 2012 12:19 as a reply to  @ Joe.Recon's post |  #4479

Nice job joe. My only comment would be you might want to also make a second exposure for the light outside and blend the two images because the windows are a bit hot exposure wise. Nice job with perspective.

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 09, 2012 12:48 |  #4480

airfrogusmc wrote in post #13856215 (external link)
Nice job joe. My only comment would be you might want to also make a second exposure for the light outside and blend the two images because the windows are a bit hot exposure wise. Nice job with perspective.

Good point. Noted and thank you.

Feedback

TheReal7
Goldmember
3,574 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 10, 2012 18:03 |  #4481

I just LOVE shooting a house full of kids with a parent who has NO control over them!!!!!

IMAGE: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-B_VXmg35ufk/TjIQ9spn7zI/AAAAAAAAAXI/okdG8P2_Yrg/s1600/angry-smokin-bad-mad-angry-smiley-emoticon-000668-large.gif

Follow me on Facebook: Natural Light Magic (external link)
Listen to my music: Fata Morgana (external link)

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 10, 2012 18:08 |  #4482

TheReal7 wrote in post #13864826 (external link)
I just LOVE shooting a house full of kids with a parent who has NO control over them!!!!!

[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

That angry man and the rest of the post is ironic. :p

Seriously though, people bugging me while I'm out shooting has to be the #1 annoying thing ever.

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

P12
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 10, 2012 21:02 |  #4483

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #13864844 (external link)
That angry man and the rest of the post is ironic. :p

Seriously though, people bugging me while I'm out shooting has to be the #1 annoying thing ever.

Agreed. The last house I shot when it came to shooting the guest rooms, I set the camera up and he was like

'oh, you fixing to take a picture of that room?"
(I wanted to say no I just wanted to see what this room looked like through my camera. It will be at least an hour before I shoot this one. Just a doing a little planning. But I digress.)
I said yes why?
"Oh I want to put this tree in that room."
OK.
(so i move my camera. He places the tree. I set back up. I take the shot. Then move to the next room.)
Repeat.
Same tree two rooms.

And just before that he had a hell of an argument with his soon to be ex wife. Later on in the shoot he was removing pictures from the wall. He looks at me and says he don't want any shots with both of them that can be recognized. I told him to leave them and I would blur the faces in post. At least that would be faster. And I hadn't had dinner and was getting cranky.

Damn. So was it a full moon this past week or something.

Pentax Kx, Sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6, Pentax 18-55 1:3.5-5.6, Asahi Pentax-M 1:2 50mm.
See I do own a => Canon Powershot A630, Sigma EF 530 Super.
www.lenbetts.com (external link)

annietex
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 11, 2012 08:36 |  #4484

TheReal7 wrote in post #13864826 (external link)

[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

Or a wild dog. Dogs blurred across a long exposure are my fav! LOLOL:lol:

Ann
Gear List

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 11, 2012 11:32 |  #4485

airfrogusmc wrote in post #13852955 (external link)
I was shooting something for a client in a new wing that had yet to open and Hedrich Blessing was doing the architectural shots and it was a half day to get one shot. Large format digital, half dozen assistants, 10 maybe 12 lights etc.

So I'd say 5 shots in 6 hours is crank'n especially for the quality that the client is getting.

Interesting. I must've forgotten that what Mike was shooting is different from RE. I can understand that. What usually takes me about 5-7 mins a ring to shoot, can easily take an hour if I start to play around with the light.

P12 wrote in post #13865671 (external link)
Agreed. The last house I shot when it came to shooting the guest rooms, I set the camera up and he was like

'oh, you fixing to take a picture of that room?"
(I wanted to say no I just wanted to see what this room looked like through my camera. It will be at least an hour before I shoot this one. Just a doing a little planning. But I digress.)
I said yes why?
"Oh I want to put this tree in that room."
OK.
(so i move my camera. He places the tree. I set back up. I take the shot. Then move to the next room.)
Repeat.
Same tree two rooms.

And just before that he had a hell of an argument with his soon to be ex wife. Later on in the shoot he was removing pictures from the wall. He looks at me and says he don't want any shots with both of them that can be recognized. I told him to leave them and I would blur the faces in post. At least that would be faster. And I hadn't had dinner and was getting cranky.

Damn. So was it a full moon this past week or something.

:lol: I guess it also comes with the photographer type. People see a young fella and assume I don't know what to do or what they want. Part luck, I tell ya.

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

sponsored links

2,058,572 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.