Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 12:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Linear Polarizer vs Circular Polarizer?

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 09, 2012 12:56 |  #1

I have a Hoya 77mm polarizer that is mint. However, it's a linear polarizer, and I have found out since buying it that supposedly it doesn't work with digital cameras. It's a nice polarizer, and it would take a good hundred bucks to replace with a circular polarizer. Basically... I'm wondering why exactly this won't work? I've taken some test images and honestly I can't tell what people would mean by the polarizer not functioning correctly with a digital camera. Anyone have any info on this?

sponsored links
cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 09, 2012 13:04 |  #2

I have both, and have used them with my digital SLR. For the most part, my 20D has no problem metering accurately when using the Linear PL. As a matter of fact, i can't recall if it ever threw the exposure off significantly. So, I'd say, don't be afraid to use it. I bet out of a hundred shots, you'll get 100% good result IF you pay attention to the exposure reading correctly. Remember, you lose some light when using PL. So, compensate the Exposure to balance it out. In Tv or Av mode, i normally increase the EC by a stop, more or less.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,324 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 09, 2012 13:09 |  #3

I thought the problem with a linear polarizer was that it interfered with the autofocus system.

shmoogy
505 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 09, 2012 13:13 |  #4

mike_d wrote in post #13856518 (external link)
I thought the problem with a linear polarizer was that it interfered with the autofocus system.

It can be an issue with both metering and autofocus.

http://camerapedia.wik​ia.com/wiki/Polarizer (external link)

Modern autofocus systems use mirrors that act as beam-splitters: most of the light is reflected to the viewfinder for metering and viewing, while the rest (typically 25%) is transmitted and then reflected by a secondary mirror to the autofocus sensor, which is in the camera body. With a polarizing filter attached, the ratio of reflected/transmitted light (fixed for non-polarized light) varies with the polarization plane orientation of polarized light, relative to the beam-splitter, causing the amount of light reaching the autofocus sensor to vary. This effect can be particularly troublesome if your front element moves with the lens, as it would cause the amount of light reaching the sensor to change while the lens focuses.

The same loss of light principles that affect the autofocus system can also affect a camera's built-in meter, and obviously this is never good. What use is a light meter if it receives the wrong amount of light?

5D Mark II, 35L, 24 TS-E, 50 1.8
Canon 1000D

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 09, 2012 13:16 |  #5

From Bob Atkins, http://www.bobatkins.c​om …technical/polar​izers.html (external link)

Do you need a Circular Polarizer?

So, do you need a circular polarizer? If you have a modern AF SLR the answer is almost certainly "yes". yes. Check your instruction manual. Some older manual focus SLRs also require circular polarizers. The camera manufacturers should be able to tell you if you don't have an instruction manual, or the manual doesn't say. What happens if you use a linear polarizer on a camera that really needs a circular polarizer? Basically you run the risk of exposure errors ( +/- 1 stop might be typical). This may not be a problem for print film, but can be a disaster for slide film. Not all exposures may be wrong, but some will be. There can also be small autofocus errors in some cases if any of the lenses in the AF system are birefringent (polarization sensitive), which can happen if plastic lenses are used and they are under some stress. If you care about your pictures and your camera needs one, spend the few extra dollars and get a circular polarizer.

If you have an older camera and you are unsure, there is an easy test which can often indicate whether or not a camera needs a circular polarizer. Attach a linear polarizer to the camera and take a TTL meter reading off a blank wall illuminated by indoor (tungsten) lighting. Don't use any kind of shiny (reflective) surface. A carpet might also make a good target. Rotate the polarizer and see if the indicated exposure changes. If it does, you need a circular polarizer. The only problem with this test is that some cameras read out exposure only in full stop increments, which may not be enough to detect the effect of the polarizer on exposure. Though the camera may actually be changing it's exposure settings by almost a full f stop, the readout might not show it. Cameras with 1/2 or 1/3 stop readouts should clearly show

BTW if your canera doesn't need a circular polarizer, you can still use one and it will act just like a linear polarizer. Any camera can use a circular polarizer. The only downside to using a circular polarizer where only a linear polarizer is needed is that circular polarizers are a little more expensive than the linear variety.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 09, 2012 13:17 |  #6

Man, I'm just not quick enough.:confused::lol:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

h4ppydaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 09, 2012 13:35 |  #7

okay so what you're saying is bracket and manual focus :lol: got it

C2S
303 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 09, 2012 14:09 |  #8

In other words, if you take all of your polarizer shots in live view using exposure simulation, and also manual focus every time, then I assume it would make no difference for you whether the polarizer is linear or circular. ;)

EOS 500D | Sigma 10-20mm EX | EF-S 18-55mm IS | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 70-300mm macro | Tripod | CPL | 25% GND | 0.2% ND | Canon RC-1 | 430EX Speedlite

sponsored links

3,365 views & 0 likes for this thread
Linear Polarizer vs Circular Polarizer?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.