Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 17:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Topaz Plugins Thoughts

ReDDoG
89 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 09, 2012 17:51 |  #1

Sorry if this is asked to death.I dled the plugin bundle for LR3.It seems pretty cool with all the differnt plugins.Adjust-lens seem to be the best overall but im early in the 30day trial.I enjoy the HDR effects.I guess if you tweak it just right its awesome.HDR seems to be from what ive read a semi-science ,but this program might be a lazy mans way out.

Having said all that,what are your thoughts about the Topaz plugins(any or all)?The bundle is like $255 with topaz user promo code for all the plugins.Might never use all, but adjust - lens-denoise are pretty neat.

Thanks for any an all replys

Rebel XSI -7D- 18-55mm - 10-20 mm Sigma - 55-250 mm - 580 II flash - Cactus V5 -Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS - 50 mm 1.8 -70-200 2.8 IS II :rolleyes:

sponsored links
D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,933 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 09, 2012 18:35 |  #2

I've used some of the Topaz plugins for a few years now. They've added a few since I bought the bundle. The main ones I use when I use them are Adjust, Detail, Denoise. I've used Simplify and Clean a couple of times. All in all they're pretty good. The only one I didn't like was Remask as I never could get any better/easier results than I was already getting. So far, they've offered all the version upgrades free for existing users. There is a little overlap in some of them too. Can't help with some of the other ones.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

mspringfield
869 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 10, 2012 06:31 |  #3

I like them too. Maybe not quite as good as the Nik but they are also $200 less and you can usually find a discount code that makes them almost half the price of the the Nik. I use Adjust, Detail, DeNoise a lot. Clean and Simplify are a bit too cheesy for me but the new Star Effects is nice and the InFocus can be useful once you learn how to use it. B&W Effects is not quite as good as Nik's Silver EFX but it is very good. Unlike something like OnOne lifetime upgrades are included.

Michael Springfield - Chattanooga, TN
Canon 1DsMkIII, Canon EOS M, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Canon EF 1.4x II

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,301 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 10, 2012 06:42 |  #4

D Thompson wrote in post #13858406 (external link)
I've used some of the Topaz plugins for a few years now.

IN between the lines, this says it best. I've always viewed Topaz plugins as the "Dollar Store" of plugins. Some are usable, but most are not. Among those that are not are many of the FX plugins that basically make an image look like crap.

Depends upon what you are using them for. If for FX, Nik ColorEfex is far better. The tonal contrast can be used for the faux hdr effects, plus the suite contains many other good FX effects.

Website (external link) |

stealthdave
199 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 10, 2012 06:47 |  #5

Also try rad actions

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 10, 2012 07:04 |  #6

I only use Topaz Adjust from time to time. I would NOT invest into the entire bundle. I do most of my editing in LR, sometimes in PS when more image manipulation is needed, but it's rare. I tried all of the plug-ins during the 30 day trial. Ended up buying Topaz Adjust because in some situations it can speed up my workflow - but I use it maybe on 5% of my pictures only.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,933 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 10, 2012 09:17 |  #7

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #13861196 (external link)
D Thompson wrote in post #13858406 (external link)
I've used some of the Topaz plugins

IN between the lines, this says it best. I've always viewed Topaz plugins as the "Dollar Store" of plugins. Some are usable, but most are not. Among those that are not are many of the FX plugins that basically make an image look like crap.

I'm not a big plugin junkie anyway and don't put them to a lot of use. Yes, the price is right and a added benefit is they (so far) have offered free upgrades to new versions. Adjust took the place of Lucis for me, as I could get close to the same results with less effort. There seems to be a bit of overlap between a couple of them. I think if you want to do "painting" type stuff then Simplify and Clean are probably decent. Just my .02, but several of the last Topaz offerings are junk based on what I've read about them.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

D-Noc
199 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 10, 2012 15:06 as a reply to  @ D Thompson's post |  #8

I use Topaz Adjust and Topaz Black & White Effects. Both works well but, as for all plugins, should be used with caution. It is so easy to go overboard in some HDR-frenzy with Adjust 5, and in B&W Effects over-sharpening or cranking up the details to far is the real danger. Still I would recommend them both.

I also tried the trial of Topaz Detail, but I didn't really feel the need for it.

How the Topaz plugins compare to the Nik effects I don't really know, as I only have Nik Color EFEX Pro 3 which I also like, but find rather user unfriendly compared to the Topaz plugins

My Flickr page (external link) | My Photo Blog (external link)

ReDDoG
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 10, 2012 19:01 as a reply to  @ D-Noc's post |  #9

Thanks all for the advice.I finally got around to checking out Nik software site.Wow they offer alot as well.Going to try out there demo for lightroom.Im not at the photoshop level right now.PS seems really complicated for a beginner like me,thou im sure time invested you get great results.

Rebel XSI -7D- 18-55mm - 10-20 mm Sigma - 55-250 mm - 580 II flash - Cactus V5 -Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS - 50 mm 1.8 -70-200 2.8 IS II :rolleyes:

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 11, 2012 13:18 |  #10

D-Noc wrote in post #13863927 (external link)
... but, as for all plugins, should be used with caution. It is so easy to go overboard....

I think this is the bottom line, whether you're using filters, tone mapping, layers, or just the saturation slider.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

D-Noc
199 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 11, 2012 15:39 as a reply to  @ Hen3Ry's post |  #11

Yes, but when you start out in the Post Processing "business", you tend to think that the sliders should be as far to the right as possible to gain professional looking results.
After a lot of frustration I began looking at other photographers work and tried to mimic that look and found out that most sliders were hardly moved. Then I began to catch on.. even though I am still just a happy amateur enjoying my photography hobby.

My Flickr page (external link) | My Photo Blog (external link)

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 16, 2012 22:17 |  #12

I just bought the Nik Full Collection. One word, awesome!

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

RbnDave
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Joined Feb 2002

Feb 18, 2012 06:58 |  #13

I have been using Topaz denoise and detail for over a year. I find them extremely valuable. I submit my photos to istock and Topaz has helped me bump up my acceptance rate. Still I do most of my post process in the RAW converter, but Topaz gets used on the really tough images.

California Photographer (external link) -- My Photo Blog (external link) -- Free Photography Lessons (external link) -- Twitter (external link)

fidelfs
77 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Feb 20, 2012 12:15 as a reply to  @ RbnDave's post |  #14

If you attend to a live webinar for NIK software, they usually give you a discount code good for 15%.

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 21, 2012 07:43 |  #15

fidelfs wrote in post #13929703 (external link)
If you attend to a live webinar for NIK software, they usually give you a discount code good for 15%.

This is true but a simple google search will also net you 15% off. :D

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

sponsored links

3,671 views & 0 likes for this thread
Topaz Plugins Thoughts
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.