Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 09 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need advise: selling a lens on the site using paypal, but can I get scammed?

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 09, 2012 14:37 |  #1

I'm curious, I am close to selling a lens to someone on the site who has been a member since 2007, but only has 7 posts. He offered to send me the money via paypal first and then I could send him the lens. He doesn't have any feedback on this site.

The address he said to use ended with:
APO, AP 96266

That raised a red flag with me, but I guess It's a military address for S. Korea, but setup in the US?

So, as long as I receive the paypal money first, I should be OK correct?

Thanks!

Christian

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 09, 2012 17:51 |  #2

paypal is good, just make sure the funds are there before you ship the lens.

MrsKitty
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 09, 2012 18:37 |  #3

If my spidey-sense was warning me, I'd wait for another buyer.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 09, 2012 18:40 |  #4

Any APO address is US military but keep in mind shipping will take longer then normal. You will also want to be sure it's insured since there is more then one exchange of hands in the process.

http://www.apoaddress.​com/apoaddresscountry.​html (external link)

kethnguy
196 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 09, 2012 18:44 |  #5

i dont see anything wrong with it if it's a legitimate address from his paypal account when he sent the payment. Just add signature confirmation and insurance.

just wondering did he pay you using paypal gift or did he use the paypal goods method?

Canon 50D Gripped || 24-105 F4 L || 430EX II

ad720
167 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 09, 2012 18:45 |  #6

Make sure you do not use the "gift" method where the seller pays no fees. There is no seller OR buyer protection that way. Use the standard "goods" method and send the buyer an invoice. Also make sure to ship via track-able method and get insurance - if the package doesn't arrive and there was no insurance the seller can be liable as far as paypal is concerned. Make sure to ship only to a Paypal verified address.

Gear/Feedback

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 09, 2012 19:03 |  #7

Ship insured, with signature required. That way if it's lost or damaged you're covered by insurance and the signature helps protect you from the "I never received it" argument.

juanpafer
Goldmember
1,832 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2009

Feb 09, 2012 19:49 |  #8

Paypal will omly cover you if that is the refistered paypal address. If you send it through a trackable method to that address you should be fine.

Juan

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 09, 2012 21:05 |  #9

Did you establish lines of communications outside of this forum?
Did you ask him about the APO address?

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

noecia
75 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 10, 2012 08:46 |  #10

You shouldn't be alarmed just because of the APO address. Just like the previous suggestions, as long as the buyer has a verified PAYPAL address and insurance fees are factored into the deal, then you're covered. Some people will have minimal posts on a forum but if they have verifiable feedback from other sources like E-Bay or Fred Miranda then that should suffice IMHO.

Gripped 5D MKii I Gripped 7D |Gripped 5DC |70-200L 2.8 | 70-200L F4 IS | 24-70L 2.8 | 24-105L F4 IS | 17-40L F4| 85 F1.8| 50 F1.8 | 580EX II |

BluewookieJim
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 10, 2012 09:19 |  #11

I've sold 2 L lenses on the forums here, to people overseas via APO addresses. Both were fine transactions. Do your due diligence, but don't shy away just because of the APO address.

My Gear and Stuff :: My Zenfolio Gallery (external link) :: My Flickr (external link) :: http://photos.kodanja.​net (external link)

Kuhan
229 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 10, 2012 09:27 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Like others mentioned above, no Paypal gift, ship with insurance and signature confirmation. Also, make sure you send an email to email address on the Paypal account to confirm that you are selling the lens to this specific Paypal account holder.

Then It will cover all bases.

Khanh
7D | S95 | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | 24-70 f/2.8 L | EF 85 f/1.8 | Σ 30 f/1.4| 430 EX II

Feedback
FS: Canon EF 70-300 - $380 shipped
FS: Canon EF-S 10-22 - $590 shipped

g0bl0k
552 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 10, 2012 10:45 as a reply to  @ Kuhan's post |  #13

i don't get it...please elaborate...
OP was asking as a seller, not a buyer...so what's wrong with paypal gift? if the buyer trust OP enough to send the fund as gift and avoid extra fee, that's actually the ideal scenario for OP as a seller. right?
i agree with insurance and signature confirmation.

My Junk

kethnguy
196 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 10, 2012 21:10 |  #14

g0bl0k wrote in post #13862335 (external link)
i don't get it...please elaborate...
OP was asking as a seller, not a buyer...so what's wrong with paypal gift? if the buyer trust OP enough to send the fund as gift and avoid extra fee, that's actually the ideal scenario for OP as a seller. right?
i agree with insurance and signature confirmation.

it's just extra security and confirmation that the buyer paid in a recognized manner for an odd address

Canon 50D Gripped || 24-105 F4 L || 430EX II

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 10, 2012 21:37 |  #15

Out of curiosity, why is Paypal gift bad for the seller? I thought it was just a risk for the buyer.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

sponsored links

2,448 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need advise: selling a lens on the site using paypal, but can I get scammed?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.