Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 09:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 7D metering Sucks at snow

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 10, 2012 13:17 |  #76

Matty,

It looks spot-on to me. Any more exposure would have been wrong. Even histograms must be understood and not followed "blindly".

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links
Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 10, 2012 13:18 as a reply to  @ post 13863041 |  #77

I honestly do not for the life of me understand why shooting in the snow baffles so many people, but I underexposed these both by 2/3rds and the second one could almost stand a full stop IMO.

Maybe it worked cause I used one of them cheapo 40D's?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 10, 2012 13:30 |  #78

Learning to meter in snow is pretty easy. I can't believe asking for a snow mode unless it's in a P&S or an entry level DSLR.

Flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,843 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 10, 2012 13:37 |  #79

Well the most redeeming thing about this thread is getting to view some great snow scenes.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 10, 2012 13:46 |  #80

windpig wrote in post #13863354 (external link)
Well the most redeeming thing about this thread is getting to view some great snow scenes.

Quite true. The way this winter's going, here in Northern Virginia we may not see more than a dusting all winter long.  :p

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,066 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 10, 2012 13:59 |  #81

IMO the image by mattymx is about perfect; this is contrary to what Xcelx states about it being underexposed by 2/3 stop. One thing that can be done for improving white balance is to sett to 6500 Kelvin (as I previously mentioned) of just set to "flash" instead of the automatic setting. Since flash has slightly blue lighting, this will warm up the image just slightly. Snow is very slightly blue so scenes that are stark white are unnatural. Mattymx has pulled in in quite nicely, and the use of the CPL has also rendered the sky quite well to boot!

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,199 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 10, 2012 14:15 |  #82

With all this talk and the fact that it is snowing rather hard currently, I decided to go and check out my metering. It appears correct to what was in the view finder at the time and the current conditions.

IMAGE: http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-RHNzqGC/0/O/i-RHNzqGC.jpg

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 10, 2012 14:19 |  #83

Chet wrote in post #13863604 (external link)
With all this talk and the fact that it is snowing rather hard currently, I decided to go and check out my metering. It appears correct to what was in the view finder at the time and the current conditions.

Looks like perfect exposure from here. :lol:

Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,199 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 10, 2012 14:20 |  #84

stsva wrote in post #13863626 (external link)
Looks like perfect exposure from here. :lol:

Thanks for checking as I'm working on a non calibrated screen.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 10, 2012 14:27 |  #85

Chet wrote in post #13863632 (external link)
Thanks for checking as I'm working on a non calibrated screen.

It's always best to get confirmation.

Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
Image Editing OK

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 10, 2012 14:30 |  #86

stsva wrote in post #13863414 (external link)
Quite true. The way this winter's going, here in Northern Virginia we may not see more than a dusting all winter long.  :p

We haven't seen a single snowflake this year after several years of 24" plus. Don't need to worry about snow metering this year.

Flickr (external link)

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Feb 10, 2012 15:22 |  #87

I think Canon would be better off adding a small speaker with a file that asks (in a stern voice)

"HEY! DID YOU EVEN BOTHER READING THE MANUAL WHEN YOU BOUGHT THIS CAMERA? GEEEEZ!!!"

At least that one file would cover all the wrong settings rather than creating a lot of wasted settings!

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 17, 2012 10:33 |  #88
bannedPermanent ban

daamn this guy got grilled sooo hard and never came back...poor dude.

but yeah, if you are asking for "snow mode" on a 7D you should really stop focusing on nice cameras and lenses and go back to basics. CIRCULAR POLARIZER!!!

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 17, 2012 15:54 |  #89

Actually, I find it rather amusing that people here are being somewhat critical of the OP's surprise that evaluative metering mode isn't getting the exposure right. Very amusing, actually. Some then go on to describe how metering works, but fail to account for the fact that it is evaluative metering mode that is in play here.

Evaluative metering mode is the "magic" metering mode. As the Wikipedia article (external link) on metering modes explains, "The design concept behind multi-zone is to reduce the need to use exposure compensation."

The whole point behind evaluative metering mode is that the camera is supposed to get the exposure right regardless of the characteristics of the scene. Exposure compensation is there in order to allow the photographer to properly deal with the mode's failings.

The very nature of the mode make it somewhat unpredictable between camera models. Later generation models tend to be better about getting the exposure right than are earlier models. Manufacturers continuously tweak the capabilities of the metering system in order to make it more accurate and flexible over time. As a result, explanations about how evaluative metering mode works are of necessity automatically dated. Future implementations will almost certainly behave differently, in that they will have fewer exceptions that require the use of exposure compensation.

If you want predictability from your metering system, evaluative is most certainly not the metering mode to use, unless you're willing to do a great deal of experimentation to learn exactly how and when the metering system fails, and to throw away all that and start anew when you switch cameras. Rather, use something that is designed to be predictable, such as center weighted average, partial, or spot metering. It would be nice if Canon gave us a straight-up averaging mode, or one that merely averaged and gave a specific and consistent amount of weight to the active autofocus point, but evaluative is not that.

The bottom line is that it's a bit laughable to criticize someone for complaining about the "magic metering mode" when the "magic" doesn't work.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,421 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 17, 2012 17:46 |  #90

Chet wrote in post #13863604 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

I think you are trying to pull a snow job on us, that is obviously photoshopped! :lol:

sponsored links

13,312 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 7D metering Sucks at snow
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.