Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 10 Feb 2012 (Friday) 20:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eric Johnson and a "OMG" Nikon, a Saga

dfindr
676 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 10, 2012 20:33 |  #1

OK, so there is a story here . . . I find myself with tickets for an Eric Johnson concert. A couple of weeks back. Club policy is that cameras allowed, just no flash, and no professionals, which I certainly am not. I split time between Alaska and Arizona. Of course the concert in Arizona. Of course all the Canon gear, good bodies 1DIII, 1DSIII, and fast L lenses 70-200 f/2.8 IS, etc in Alaska. What to do?

So I go with a friend who just happens to have a Nikon D-80, with a real consumer grade 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 or something like that.. I say to myself, this is going to be rich. I know nothing about Nikons much less the D-80. Well anyway, without my beloved Canons I say to myself “what the hell” and attempt to make the best of a bad situation as I really wanted some pictures of this performer.

I set the thing up on manual figuring I can jack around with aperture and shutter speed and see what happens. I crank the ISO up as high as it will go which I believe was 2 settings above 1600 ISO whatever that is on the D-80 I figured the pictures would be really noisy, if I got anything at all to come out, but that’s what noise reduction software is for, right?

Well low and behold small miracles do happen. I managed to find a sorta sweet spot for that night. Here are two of the results. Not bad I think considering I was clueless about Nikons, had terrible light a slow lens and just made it up as I went, but reaffirms the formula of aperture, speed and ISO, and it doesn’t matter what you shoot with if you just use it right, and follow the fundamentals, you can get half decent results. A little noisy, a little grainy, but very usable to my eye. What do you all think? Will be glad to post more if anyone wants to see a few more.

Nik Define 2.0 for noise reduction, Auto Curves is PS5, and that’s it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

DAVID ALAN DARBY // MAC CONVERT // Raging and unapologetic L'coholic constantly Striving To Measure Up to the Quality of My Gear!
Too Many Bodies, Way Too Much Glass, Not Enough Time . . . BUY THE BEST, BUY IT ONCE, GO TAKE PICTURES!

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 12, 2012 08:27 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I've shot Eric a couple of times; always a good shoot.

These are a bit noisy, and they could probably be mimldly sharper but, given you were using unfamiliar gear, not bad...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

reyces
242 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 14, 2012 03:50 |  #3

I'm pretty new shooting in low light and my pics looks worst (noisy). I use Canon 7d with 28-135.

What kind of lenses you can advise to avoid these results. Thanks in advance,

Canon 6D Gripped & Canon 6D & Sony a7R II -|- Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II USM -|- Canon 24-70mm f/4L IS USM -|- Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM -|- Speedlight 600EX-RT -|- Cheetah CL-360 x3 and TT850 x2 -|- Sony 50mm f1.8 -|- Sony 18-105 f4
www.cesarphotography.n​et (external link)

WSFD44
61 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 14, 2012 06:43 |  #4

but reaffirms the formula of aperture, speed and ISO

Great set of photos for unfamiliar gear..... I would guess Nikon's post processing software could get rid of most of the noise in a RAW file......

reyces.... What ISO are you shooting regarding the noise issue.... Also, the 50mm f1.8 should allow you to get a combination of ISO and shutter speed to solve the noise.... RAW files, RAW files RAW files... Noise (Grain in the olden days) has always been an issue....

1D MkII, 1D MkIII, 40D and a bunch of stuff.

reyces
242 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 14, 2012 11:39 |  #5

WSFD44 wrote in post #13894836 (external link)
Great set of photos for unfamiliar gear..... I would guess Nikon's post processing software could get rid of most of the noise in a RAW file......

reyces.... What ISO are you shooting regarding the noise issue.... Also, the 50mm f1.8 should allow you to get a combination of ISO and shutter speed to solve the noise.... RAW files, RAW files RAW files... Noise (Grain in the olden days) has always been an issue....

Well, most of the time I'm trying with 800 or 1600 (to avoid the blur), for example this last weekend I had a photo shoot in a hotel with a model and I've worked with the 7D and 50mm 1.8 with, ISO 800, 1/20-60 and almost all the pics came out blurry and the other ones (ISO 1000 or 1600) came out noisy. Why I used this setting? well, because I wanted to do some shots without flash to try to get a different look.

Canon 6D Gripped & Canon 6D & Sony a7R II -|- Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II USM -|- Canon 24-70mm f/4L IS USM -|- Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM -|- Speedlight 600EX-RT -|- Cheetah CL-360 x3 and TT850 x2 -|- Sony 50mm f1.8 -|- Sony 18-105 f4
www.cesarphotography.n​et (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,131 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eric Johnson and a "OMG" Nikon, a Saga
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.