Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 19:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just got a refurb'd Sigma, and I gotta say...

Don ­ Madson
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 09, 2012 19:49 |  #1

this is SWEET!

I was cruising the net the other night and happened upon Sigma's site, where I noticed the "outlet" link. They had a 17-70 OS HSM for sale, for $349.00. I had the older version last summer, and liked it pretty well, but...meh...it didn't trigger the right response, so I sold it.

I've been watching and waiting for a chance to get my hands on an OS version, and took the plunge. I've got a couple other Sigma's that I use a lot, and like really well.

This lens is "Da Bomb"! I'll do a proper MA test tomorrow, but it seems as if it's focusing beautifully with my 50D. The box (original retail box) looks unused, all components look pristine. Might be an overstock? Anyway, I'm highly pleased with it. It's a very useful focal range, and the pictures seem crisp enough to challenge my 24-105. Stand by for further information...

Regards!
Don

dmadson.photoreflect.c​om
T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

sponsored links
Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 09, 2012 21:16 |  #2

Congrats - great price on a very good lens!

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 09, 2012 23:09 |  #3

good to hear, i think you're the first person here to get one from there

scokar
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 09, 2012 23:50 |  #4

You just sent them a lot of traffic :-)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 10, 2012 00:40 as a reply to  @ scokar's post |  #5

Yeah. We had some discussion about this about 2 weeks ago and there is some question as to whether one might actually be better off buying a refurb instead of new since the refurbs are manually inspected and calibrated before reselling thereby increasing the chances of winning the Sigma lotto.

Now if they would just get a 28mm f1.8 macro in....

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 10, 2012 11:01 |  #6

Yeah, I saw the discussion a couple weeks ago about the refurb sales from Sigma. There's no indication that it was a return, overstock, or any variation on that theme. I've happily bought Canon refurbs, and have no reason to think I'd be other than happy with the Sigma stuff.

Maybe Sigma will notice that I've encouraged some business, and be nice to me if I have any problems. I've micro-adjusted it to -3 on my 50D, which is what at least one of my Canon lenses have required, making it certainly within spec, as far as I'm concerned.

As I said in my original post, I owned it's predecessor for a while, and figured that this would be an upgrade, and it certainly seems as if it is just that. So far, so good!

Regards!
Don

---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

highergr0und
545 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 10, 2012 18:56 |  #7

Cool.... I check that site daily and probably would have hopped on that deal if I saw it.

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 10, 2012 22:15 |  #8

Nice! The 17-70 OS is a sweet lens to begin with but getting it for less is even better. Enjoy, I personally love the lens

Now all sigma need to do is get some 70-200 f2.8 OS in their refurbished selection....now that would make me a happy boy!!

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 10, 2012 22:30 |  #9

Just keep checking the site...ya never know!

---------------

Trique ­ Daddi
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 11, 2012 00:11 |  #10

Congrats on the lens! Seems to be a great price! What is the warranty coverage?
Happy Shooting!

Canon 7DMKII,7D 40D, 20D, CANON 100-400mm IS 4.5/5.6L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Kenko Extension Tubes, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS, 580EX II Flash,Gittos MH 5580 monopod, Thinktank Airport Takeoff.

sponsored links

1,999 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just got a refurb'd Sigma, and I gotta say...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.