Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 00:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I nuts?

LudwigVB
408 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2012 00:36 |  #1

I have a 40D, with Tamron 17-50mm, Canon EF-S 55-250mm and Canon EF 50mm compact macro lenses. I'm very happy with the performance and quality of this stuff and it does pretty well what I want it to do -- provided I play my part properly.

I used to shoot with 35mm film cameras for decades and I became very familiar with FF 35mm and the lenses associated with it. The "crop" digital concept is rather new by comparison, but I do understand it.

I don't take sports/action or wildlife pictures. I like taking landscape, street, architectural and portrait pictures.

The thing is, I have recently become increasingly interested in FF digital photography, for the high quality of the images. I could just about afford to get a 5D (classic) if I sold my 40D camera and Tamron 17-50 and Canon 55-250 lenses. All my gear is in great condition and the 40D has under 15k clicks, so I'd hope to get good prices. I'd keep the EF 50 CM lens for use with the 5D, hoping to add more lenses later.

I am thinking of doing this, and I'd be prepared to sacrifice many of the 40D's bells and whistles, but I'm not sure if it would be an entirely sane thing to do! :confused: I'd welcome comments from, others.

sponsored links
svarley
592 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 12, 2012 00:39 |  #2

So what's your point? 5d images will have superior IQ. 5d2 images will have superior IQ and still have even more bells and whistles.

It's only money, get spending.

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2012 01:16 |  #3

Do you stil have your film camera lenses? If they're Nikon, Olympus OM, Contax (sometimes), or Leica (sometimes) you can buy adaptors for them and they work for their original purposes on the 5D. The only thing is you lose auto aperture, and you'll need an accessory screen to make the meter work.

EDIT - if they're Nikon, you can buy a Nikon FX digital camera, which is saner than adapting them.

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 12, 2012 01:16 |  #4

LudwigVB wrote in post #13872002 (external link)
...I am thinking of doing this, and I'd be prepared to sacrifice many of the 40D's bells and whistles, but I'm not sure if it would be an entirely sane thing to do! :confused: I'd welcome comments from, others.

You expect there to be a consensus on this here? BAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! :p Here goes another 30-page crop vs. FF thread, stand by.....

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

LudwigVB
THREAD ­ STARTER
408 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2012 01:41 |  #5

Veemac wrote in post #13872118 (external link)
You expect there to be a consensus on this here? BAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! :p Here goes another 30-page crop vs. FF thread, stand by.....

No, I don't, but it sometimes helps to chew a problem over with knowledgeable people who can give their opinions.

LudwigVB
THREAD ­ STARTER
408 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2012 01:44 |  #6

melcat wrote in post #13872117 (external link)
Do you stil have your film camera lenses? If they're Nikon, Olympus OM, Contax (sometimes), or Leica (sometimes) you can buy adaptors for them and they work for their original purposes on the 5D. The only thing is you lose auto aperture, and you'll need an accessory screen to make the meter work.

EDIT - if they're Nikon, you can buy a Nikon FX digital camera, which is saner than adapting them.

No, I don't. Pity, they could have been suitable I guess -- Olympus OM, Leica R, Leica M.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 12, 2012 01:45 |  #7

sure, buy a 5Dc and get on with it.

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Feb 12, 2012 02:21 |  #8

Of course you can do landscape, street, architectural and portrait pictures with the 50 alone, but you may feel a bit naked after stripping off the luxury of 17-255mm.

Prices may well sink further on the 5Dc with the new round of bodies coming up. How about waiting a bit and getting a 5Dc and a used 24-105L? That will really put you in a new quality ball game with a reasonable focal length range for the things you like to do.

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

paulkaye
559 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2012 03:25 as a reply to  @ John_T's post |  #9

I had a 40d before I got my 5dii. Before committing to the 5dii, I played with the 5dc. Whilst it produced good IQ, I found it quite a bit behind the 40d in speed and features. For me, it wasn't the right move. Even the 5dii lags the 40d in some areas (fps, AF). The 40d is a great camera.

Paul

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 12, 2012 07:40 |  #10

You're considering trading a middle aged but responsive 40D in good condition and your lenses for an older and considerably less responsive 5D in indeterminate condition without lenses... put it that way and - at least to me - it doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.

Think about it - there's not a huge change in resolution, your photographic subjects don't seem to need the improved bokeh... so exactly what would you gain by doing this? Ok - a brighter viewfinder and lenses with focal lengths that match what you expect...

I was interested so I did some quantitative comparisons... DXOMark gives the cameras overall scores of 64 (40D) vs 71 (5D.) That seems to be very marginal. Working through the dpreview of the cameras gives them both nearly 11 bits of raw information. It's telling that the noise of the 5D is indistinguishable from the noise of the 20D.

If it was a 5D2 you were considering, I would probably bite the bullet but for a 5D... well no. Keep the 40D as a backup and get a 5D2 when you can afford it.

edit... I forgot to comment on live view - it's a very valuable tool if you get some mf lenses and a loupe. The 5D doesn't offer this either. If anything, you might consider the 50D because of it's improved lcd and microfocus adjustment.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 12, 2012 07:47 |  #11

Since there are things I like on both cameras (FF and APS-C), I plan to save up for a full frame and keep my crop sensor body for my birding and sports images. I do love the IQ on the FF bodies, but there are too many things I use crop sensors for to abandon them entirely - my two cents...

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 12, 2012 07:56 |  #12

noisejammer wrote in post #13872752 (external link)
You're considering trading a middle aged but responsive 40D in good condition and your lenses for an older and considerably less responsive 5D in indeterminate condition without lenses... put it that way and - at least to me - it doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.

Think about it - there's not a huge change in resolution, your photographic subjects don't seem to need the improved bokeh... so exactly what would you gain by doing this? Ok - a brighter viewfinder and lenses with focal lengths that match what you expect...

I was interested so I did some quantitative comparisons... DXOMark gives the cameras overall scores of 64 (40D) vs 71 (5D.) That seems to be very marginal. Working through the dpreview of the cameras gives them both nearly 11 bits of raw information. It's telling that the noise of the 5D is indistinguishable from the noise of the 20D.

If it was a 5D2 you were considering, I would probably bite the bullet but for a 5D... well no. Keep the 40D as a backup and get a 5D2 when you can afford it.

edit... I forgot to comment on live view - it's a very valuable tool if you get some mf lenses and a loupe. The 5D doesn't offer this either. If anything, you might consider the 50D because of it's improved lcd and microfocus adjustment.

The common sense approach...

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

LudwigVB
THREAD ­ STARTER
408 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2012 16:55 |  #13

noisejammer wrote in post #13872752 (external link)

Very sensible, thank you for your thoughts. As you say, "it doesn't seem like a smart thing to do." I'll admit it's risky, that's why I gave this thread the title "Am I Nuts?" I could be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire :o

As to the rather primitive nature o f the 5D and its lack of responsiveness, I'm sure you're right but I don't think it would be too much of a culture shock to me. I started in DSLR with a Canon 10D, then worked my way up through 20D to 30D to 40D. I see the 40D as the end of the line for me, unless I move to FF.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,501 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 12, 2012 19:23 as a reply to  @ LudwigVB's post |  #14

If you'll say - I'm taking landscapes and portraits with 5Dc, but switching to newer 40d which has some more functions - I'll say you are nuts.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

bebud
111 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 12, 2012 19:36 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #15

I would stay with the 40d unless you switch to the 5d2........

7d ,6d,10-22,70-200 f4, 24 f2 is,Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Tamron 90mm macro,Tamron 18-270
simplydave.net (external link)

sponsored links

3,510 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I nuts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.