Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 04:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D burst mode not hitting 8fps

Crafty
226 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 10, 2012 08:45 |  #16

Do you have noise reduction turned on ? if so turn it off, fix it in pp.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 10, 2012 08:48 |  #17

This is not the issue - read the thread that was linked to. The slowdown seems to be caused by the metering system in low light, nothing that you can change on the camera affects this - it's just how the 7D behaves at this point.

It's even mentioned in the manual.

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

Tiberius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 11, 2012 23:27 |  #18

I gotta wonder WHY the 7D behaves like that. Is there some property of low light condition that prevents the camera from getting 8fps? Or is it deliberately crippled?

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 12, 2012 02:38 |  #19

Tiberius47 wrote in post #13871728 (external link)
I gotta wonder WHY the 7D behaves like that. Is there some property of low light condition that prevents the camera from getting 8fps? Or is it deliberately crippled?

It's because of the iFCL metering. Explained here (external link). This new metering system checks focus at each of the AF points before each shot. In conditions of very low light this process of checking takes long enough to prevent the camera shooting at 8fps.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

eosphotomanoftennessee
268 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 12, 2012 17:32 |  #20

faster shutter speed = faster fps, duh?

Doug, osphotoman@yahoo.com (external link)
7D
;), Canon SX1 IS, Film Rebel for history
300L, 70-200L, 50 1.8, 28-105 EF, Sigma 18-50 EF-S
580Speedlite, AB Ring Flash, Excalibur 320, 2- Morris Optical Slaves
Adobe CS5 Extended, Wacom Graphics Tablet

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 12, 2012 17:34 |  #21

eosphotomanoftennessee wrote in post #13874999 (external link)
faster shutter speed = faster fps, duh?

No, even if you are in manual mode and have a, say 1/1000th shutter speed selected, if you are in low light, the fps slows down.

As has been said, it's to do with the metering system, and *nothing* else. In low light, the metering takes longer to process the scene and this slows the fps down. It's just how it is.

Page 93 in the 7D manual:
"In low-light areas or indoors, the continuous shooting speed may become slower even if a faster shutter speed is set. Duh*"

* I added that bit.

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,026 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 12, 2012 18:30 |  #22

Several things spring to mind here, that make me wonder about what Canon are doing with this. From what has been said here this seems to apply to all metering modes, in all exposure modes, and even when using lenses in MF mode. What dose it do with dumb MF lenses?
So even if spot metering is enabled it still dose this all focus points routine, so what dose it then do with the information? Throw it way? This metering technique makes sense to me in evaluative metering mode, but not in any other case, not even CWA. Outside of Evaluative I can understand them using the combined colour layers to find the correct luminance values where colour may be an issue but why still use the focus points on metering modes that are independent of focus points?

Al

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,767 posts
Gallery: 1687 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 12, 2012 19:02 |  #23

Do the burst in Live View. ;)

I was shooting the moon the other night with my 100-400 + 2x TC. Obviously can't use traditional AF so I switched over the live view to AF. Then I released the shutter and was pleasantly surprised to hear the thing go full speed.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,264 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 12, 2012 20:24 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #24

I did not take the time to read TeamSpeed's link in post #8 to see if this was mentioned, but the workaround for the metering bottleneck is to use exposure lock in Av, Tv, or P.

Tiberius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 13, 2012 05:40 |  #25

hollis_f wrote in post #13872283 (external link)
It's because of the iFCL metering. Explained here (external link). This new metering system checks focus at each of the AF points before each shot. In conditions of very low light this process of checking takes long enough to prevent the camera shooting at 8fps.

Interesting read, but I honestly fail to see how why that would even be an issue in situations where you are shooting in manual exposure and with manual focus...

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 13, 2012 06:22 |  #26

Tiberius47 wrote in post #13877489 (external link)
Interesting read, but I honestly fail to see how why that would even be an issue in situations where you are shooting in manual exposure and with manual focus...

We don't know how the camera is architected, or have access to the source code or hardware specifications. Clearly there is a reason, most likely a technical one. "Limitations" like these are hardly arbitrary, usually there is a good reason for it - we just don't know what it is.

Whatever the technical reason, it's just how it is, and if you absolutely need 8fps shooting in very dark places (which in general is always going to be difficult because of shutter speed requirements) and the 4fps you get in these conditions isn't good enough then maybe the 7D isn't for you.

The continuous frame rate also slows down if your battery is low too.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 13, 2012 08:22 |  #27

Tiberius47 wrote in post #13877489 (external link)

Even in manual exposure the camera has to do metering - to display the exposure meter in the viewfinder. Does it have to do it between every shot at 8 fps? I doubt it.

It sounds like the sort of thing that could be easily fixed in firmware, but there are two reasons why that's unlikely to happen.

1. The problem affects a vanishingly small number of users, probably too small to be worth bothering about.
  2. Canon don't want to make a firmware update that changes the functionality of a camera - even for the better. It'll set a precedent.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

chrisvanbeekum
495 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 13, 2012 09:17 |  #28

you dont need 8 fps anyways . and yes in low light the burst rate drops

5D MK II- 7D - /50 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 24 105 f4L "I WANT A 35L"

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,793 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 13, 2012 09:42 |  #29

The precedent for altering firmware to better a camera was already done back with the 5D2, why stop now? :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

6,529 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D burst mode not hitting 8fps
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.