Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 19:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you be happy with this Sigma 30mm?

JawKneeFive
47 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 12, 2012 22:43 |  #31

Damn, bobby's copy is pretty stinking sharp. Jason, you should see if he has sold it yet...

sponsored links
JHaegs
363 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 12, 2012 22:55 |  #32

I would definitely exchange it if you have the option. The fact that you had to ask in the first place is enough evidence. Looks like you lost the Sigma lottery! :evil:

Canon 50D | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Gear/Feedback/WTB/For Sale

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,743 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 13, 2012 00:09 |  #33

JawKneeFive wrote in post #13876550 (external link)
Damn, bobby's copy is pretty stinking sharp. Jason, you should see if he has sold it yet...

I am trying to sell but buyers are still trying to lowball.:)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,323 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 13, 2012 00:34 |  #34

I am very tempted.

6D, 5D, 7D, Eos R and too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 13, 2012 00:38 |  #35

Jason Paul wrote in post #13875798 (external link)
...Regarding the AF points - now that you mention it, I think only the center AF point is a cross-type on the 50D, correct?...

All 9 are cross-type. From the 50D review on imaging-resource.com:

The Canon 50D's AF sensor is a 9-point diamond array, with nine cross-type f/5.6 autofocus points, meaning that they're all sensitive to vertical or horizontal lines. Nestled in the center is an additional precision AF sensor that is arrayed diagonally and used when you mount a lens of f/2.8 or faster.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

Jason ­ Paul
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 13, 2012 08:53 as a reply to  @ Veemac's post |  #36

OK Mac - thanks for the additional info about the AF points. I guess what I was thinking was about the center point being more sensitive at f/2.8 or faster.

Thanks,
Jason

50D - Canon 60mm Macro - Sigma 30mm - Canon 70-300mm DO IS - Canon 17-85mm IS - Canon 50mm 1.8 II
Flickr (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 13, 2012 09:02 |  #37

I'd either exchange or send that in for calibration.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Jason ­ Paul
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 13, 2012 15:08 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #38

OK - I guess now the question is:

Do I return it to Adorama for another one, or send it in to Sigma for calibration?

If I send it to Sigma, do I need to send my body too? I called Sigma, and the rep said it's better if I send in the body, but she didn't seem to know for sure. She was going to put me on with someone else, but everyone was on the phone.

Obviously, I'd rather not send in my body if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Jason

50D - Canon 60mm Macro - Sigma 30mm - Canon 70-300mm DO IS - Canon 17-85mm IS - Canon 50mm 1.8 II
Flickr (external link)

nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 13, 2012 15:12 |  #39

They told me I had to send in my body. On the one hand, they did a good job and turned it around in 24 hours. On the other hand - whenever I called a few times to check on it I found their customer service, efficiency, and generally sounding-like-they-had-their-@#$-together to be not very high-scoring.

If you send it in, do this online form here first - it will create a service record in their system.
http://www.sigmaphoto.​com/online-repair-order-form (external link)

Also - be sure to print out a copy of that and your purchase receipt and send with it.

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

Jason ­ Paul
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 13, 2012 20:42 as a reply to  @ nccb's post |  #40

You know, I'm obviously trying to find the flaws in this lens before my 30 days runs out. However, I have actually gotten some good shots with it. In fact, some are very sharp ones SOOC (using the center AF point).

So, I guess it's really the inconsistency that bothers me. I've also noticed that the colors often look kind of bland, or flat, and there's not much pop. Though I'm sure that lighting and exposure are issues as well.

And of course, that left AF point is always lacking.

I'm just having a hard time deciding what to do, and the clock is ticking.

It sure seems like the consensus here is to return it or send it in for calibration. But of course, all you guys are seeing are the bad shots I've posted. I sure don't like the idea of sending in my camera along with it either. And I also wonder if I should try exchanging it once with Adorama before trying calibration. Of course, there's probably just as good a chance I'll get another bad one (if this one really is bad).

I know you guys can't make this decision for me, I'm just looking for a sounding board I guess.

Jason

Flickr (external link)

JawKneeFive
47 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 13, 2012 21:16 |  #41

I think you should buy bobbyz copy... I don't know him, but his copy look good.

JHaegs
363 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 13, 2012 22:26 |  #42

I'd send it in to get calibrated. A lens shouldn't be inconsistent- you'd hate to get that once in a lifetime shot, only to find out its OOF. If you do decide to return it to Adorama, I'd suggest buying a used sharp copy instead of gettig another new one. You might end up getting one that is worse than the one you have! I think Sigma's turnaround is pretty quick, so you don't have to worry about being camera-less for too long.

Canon 50D | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Gear/Feedback/WTB/For Sale

OliG
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 20, 2012 10:49 as a reply to  @ JHaegs's post |  #43

Hello,

I also bought this lens recently so I did followed your struggle with your copy attentively.
On my side, the lens I received does front focus a bit. This problem would probably pass unoticed on a slower lens, but as you know, it makes all the difference when shooting at f1.4. All test shots where out of focus at max aperture and the "famous" focusing test chart revealed the problem. So like many have done before, I cursed Sigma for their quality control problems.

I also use a 50D who has micro-adjustment so I started tweaking using the focus test chart as reference, and I settled on a -17 MA. I then did go out to take real world pictures and was again disapointed with results, under each focus points. Like you, center AF point shot appeared to be better bot not sharp. Some more tweaking was needed, and I changed my testing method : I used a small figurine with lots of details as subject under good light, camera resting on a tripod and using EOS utility remote shooting. I then zoomed in at 200% under center AF point and manually focussed the lens. While remembering quality of properly focussed image, I turned focus at infinity and clicked quick mode AF. Image came out of focus a bit and, using the << and >> focus buttons, I restored proper focus. It seem than thoses buttons represents exactly the MA scale, so one click equals 1 MA unit. I repeated this process for others focus points. I reajusted the MA for this lens at -12, and focus became spot on under each focus point. Of course at f1.4, the closer you are from the corners, the worst the image quality, but this is not an AF issue. I knew that before purchasing the lens, this weak point (soft corners) was pointed out in every reviews so it doesnt bother me at all to see a very slight degradation in image quality for exteriors AF points. That being said, the quality for outside AF point is way better than the fairy you showed earlier.

I guess my conclusion is than this lens is not easy to master, and with all the bad press about focus issues, we all assume we will get a bad copy. I'm not gonna say the problem dosent exist, as my own lens front focus out of the box. But I think one should be able to correct this with a body that allow MA, like your 50D. What makes me think there might be some user error in your case, is the fact than you say sometimes you get good results, sometimes results are bad. Your shot of master Shifu under left focus point is, while not perfect, a lot better than the fairy shot. My copy consistently front focused out of the box, and with MA it is consistently spot on at all distances. But again every lens is different and yours can be inconsistent.

Give a try to the method suggested above, you could be surprised by results... I was.

Good Luck !

pkilla
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 20, 2012 12:37 |  #44

bobbyz wrote in post #13876052 (external link)
Crop wise, here:

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

I moved to FF with 35L so have to sell this beauty, I feel so bad.

Hey nice pics what do u use to print your photos...and to the kid having problem with the sigma lens if your that unhappy just return it and try to get your money back

T3i griped - rokinon 8mm/rokinon 35 1.4/rokinon 85mm 1.4/
sigma 17-50/nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s/nikon 28mm ai-s 2.8/
helios 40-2/helios 44-2/mir 1b 37mm 2.8/supertak 135/
trioplan/http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pkilla617/ (external link)
CHECK OUT MY BLOG PICS http://pkilla61.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

Jason ­ Paul
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 21, 2012 10:08 |  #45

OliG wrote in post #13929300 (external link)
Hello,

I also bought this lens recently so I did followed your struggle with your copy attentively.
On my side, the lens I received does front focus a bit. This problem would probably pass unoticed on a slower lens, but as you know, it makes all the difference when shooting at f1.4. All test shots where out of focus at max aperture and the "famous" focusing test chart revealed the problem. So like many have done before, I cursed Sigma for their quality control problems.

I also use a 50D who has micro-adjustment so I started tweaking using the focus test chart as reference, and I settled on a -17 MA. I then did go out to take real world pictures and was again disapointed with results, under each focus points. Like you, center AF point shot appeared to be better bot not sharp. Some more tweaking was needed, and I changed my testing method : I used a small figurine with lots of details as subject under good light, camera resting on a tripod and using EOS utility remote shooting. I then zoomed in at 200% under center AF point and manually focussed the lens. While remembering quality of properly focussed image, I turned focus at infinity and clicked quick mode AF. Image came out of focus a bit and, using the << and >> focus buttons, I restored proper focus. It seem than thoses buttons represents exactly the MA scale, so one click equals 1 MA unit. I repeated this process for others focus points. I reajusted the MA for this lens at -12, and focus became spot on under each focus point. Of course at f1.4, the closer you are from the corners, the worst the image quality, but this is not an AF issue. I knew that before purchasing the lens, this weak point (soft corners) was pointed out in every reviews so it doesnt bother me at all to see a very slight degradation in image quality for exteriors AF points. That being said, the quality for outside AF point is way better than the fairy you showed earlier.

I guess my conclusion is than this lens is not easy to master, and with all the bad press about focus issues, we all assume we will get a bad copy. I'm not gonna say the problem dosent exist, as my own lens front focus out of the box. But I think one should be able to correct this with a body that allow MA, like your 50D. What makes me think there might be some user error in your case, is the fact than you say sometimes you get good results, sometimes results are bad. Your shot of master Shifu under left focus point is, while not perfect, a lot better than the fairy shot. My copy consistently front focused out of the box, and with MA it is consistently spot on at all distances. But again every lens is different and yours can be inconsistent.

Give a try to the method suggested above, you could be surprised by results... I was.

Good Luck !

Thanks for the reply, and for the focusing recommendation.

My 30 days is actually over with Adorama, so I can't return it without paying a restocking fee. Besides, I really don't think my chances would have been any better to get a good copy by exchanging it.

I actually went outside yesterday with my daughter and took several shots, adjusting the MA for each. This time, it looked the best with MA set at 0. So go figure. I've done this three times (different subjects), and got different results each time. At first +7 looked best, then +4, and now simply leaving it at 0. I've also just been taking one shot at a time with each MA value. Also, that left AF point is still noticeably worse than the center. But, I wonder if that's just expected with this lens.

So, since I'm no longer working against Adorama's 30 day deadline, I've decided that I'll just take my time with it before sending it in to Sigma.

Thanks,
Jason

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

6,667 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you be happy with this Sigma 30mm?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.