Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 18:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CANON G1X IS A RIPOFF (no printed manual)

pwdieter
528 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 12, 2012 23:29 |  #31

nice to see I'm consistent as well.

Have fun
Paul

http://paul-dieter.artistwebsites.​com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 12, 2012 23:29 |  #32

:shock: 12 pages too!

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sub50hz
41 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 12, 2012 23:29 |  #33

Just... great job.

RB67/GA645i/50D/1N RS/X10

jfueng
61 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 13, 2012 00:03 |  #34

I bet most folks don't even read the manual. You could buy a refurbed 60d, it comes with a manual. I prefer a manual so I can read it while on the throne. If my next cam doesn't come with a manual it won't bother me.

Mjolnir
175 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 13, 2012 03:29 |  #35

I had a Deja-Vu when i read the first post.

To call the camera a ripp-off for this reason.... Seriously??

www.toeterphotography.​blogspot.com (external link)
Flickr. (external link)
365 project. (external link)
Eos 7D, 300mm F/2.8 L IS, 100-400L, 24-105L, 70-200L II IS USM, Sigma 150mm OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 60mm Macro, Canon 50mm F/1.8.

ChrisSearle
352 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: My time is divided between Totnes, UK, Mumbai, India and The Ardeche region of Southern France..

Feb 13, 2012 03:51 as a reply to  @ Mjolnir's post |  #36

Thank goodness for this post! I was just about to place an order for this camera.

Chris:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeaunse23/ (external link)
5D Mk iii, 1D MkiiN, 1Ds Mkii. Zeiss 21 mm Distagon, Canon 24-105 L. Sigma 150 Macro. Canon 400 L. Sigma 50 Nikkor 24 mm 1.4 Ricoh GRD3 Canon G1X Fuji X100,Sigma DP2M and a bunch of other stuff.

My Sigma DP2M blog at:http://chrissearlesdp2​m.blogspot.in/ (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 13, 2012 04:09 |  #37

Just wait, soon they'll start selling you cameras without an actual camera in the box and say "you can look at pictures of it online, we're saving energy by not producing cameras anymore".

Joking aside, I'm happy they're not printing manuals anymore, lots of trees and water saved right there.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 13, 2012 06:18 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #38

I'd pay to have a 250 page manual printed for the OP.

I have a suggestion for where he might like to store it :lol:

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

mrbubbles
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 13, 2012 06:31 |  #39

TROLL

Gear List
Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

eightweight
340 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 13, 2012 06:31 |  #40

One Happy Customer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​!

Glad its a technical issue????

alund wrote in post #13875267 (external link)
The new Canon G1X is a ripoff! If a camera is complicated enough to need a 250 page manual, it deserves
to have a manual included, or at the very least as an accessory. When I complained to Canon, I got the following reply:

"Unfortunately hard copy manuals are no longer being produced. Canon is committed to the world community and the belief that we are building a better world for future generations. In an effort to be a more green company, and better protect our enviornment, Canon no longer offers the small printed manuals with our Power Shot cameras. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

You can also save the PDF files to your computer to view. You may also consider saving the file to a CD or thumb drive to have printed at your local print shop.

This policy is nuts. It's not green for them to print one, but they tell me to take the CD down to the local print shop and print one. The only thing "green" about printing it myself is the dollars that the printing will cost. What kind of marketing is this-- $800 for a compact camera and you can't even buy a manual.

5D MK 3//24mm "L" 1.4// 16-35 "L" 2.8 // 24-70 "L" 2.8 MK2// 35mm "L" 1.4 // Canon EX600RT flash // Fuji X-E2
35m 1.4 // 14mm 2.8 //Fuji EFX20 & Fuji X100S
Lightroom 3

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 13, 2012 06:45 |  #41

Do most folk not own a smart phone these days?

All my manuals sit on my phone, iPad and in my Dropbox - they can be accessed from anywhere, don't take up space, I never forget them and they can be searched, annotated and bookmarked. Why on earth would I want paper?

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

Jay-Bird
804 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 13, 2012 07:29 |  #42

Doesnt seem like a big stretch to not have a manual. I cant always carry my manual, but I always carry my iphone with iBooks on it. The pdf is fine for me.

Facebook:https://www.facebook.c​om/ZeroedInPhotography (external link)
http://www.zeroedinpho​tography.wordpress.com (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,600 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 13, 2012 07:34 |  #43

Lots of folks do not have smart devices. Thing is Canon makes it available to print for those that need/want it. That's what really matters.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 13, 2012 08:56 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #44

I haven't read a printed manual for about the past five years. I do use the PDF version on my desktop and laptop, because it's quick and easy to Search for the topic I want. I also have them on my iPod Touch, if needed, but prefer the larger screen of the desktop and laptop. I can also easily expand the font size for my old eyes.

A lot of folks I know are moving to the e-readers like the iPads and Kindles, which appear to be the "future" of printed books. I prefer a printed book for reading pleasure (novels, etc.), but less people today want to carry them around with them.

Dennis

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 13, 2012 10:04 |  #45

alund wrote in post #13875267 (external link)
This policy is nuts. It's not green for them to print one, but they tell me to take the CD down to the local print shop and print one. The only thing "green" about printing it myself is the dollars that the printing will cost. What kind of marketing is this-- $800 for a compact camera and you can't even buy a manual.

It is green because only the 200 people in the world that actually demand a hard copy will print it. If they include it with every camera, then they will for sure kill a small forest.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links

20,108 views & 0 likes for this thread
CANON G1X IS A RIPOFF (no printed manual)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.