Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

john_galt
576 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 11, 2012 12:56 |  #4486

i plan on shooting a restaurant that is dimly lit, no windows so no external light. has some lit fish tanks in the middle to divide the room. would you recommend using off camera flash or just blending multiple exposures to keep the dim mood? or would flash on low power still be beneficial and be able to capture the dim lighting? my ps skills are no where near the skills in this thread yet.

Gear: 5d iii, 17-40mm l, 24-70mm ii, 35mm 1.4 l, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm l, 70-200mm ii l, 600ex-rt

sponsored links
gnwatts
266 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 11, 2012 13:44 |  #4487

Joe.Recon wrote in post #13852545 (external link)
Here are a few from today (real Estate).

Please C&C as I want to improve.

All shot with Canon 5DMkII and Canon TSE 17 mm. Processed 7 images in LR Enfuse (exposure fusion) and extra shot per set with a flash bounced off of ceiling.

Here is the link for the rest of them : Today's shoot (external link)
I know its a link and I don't expect you all to visit it but if you do, please feel free to comment in these forums. Thank you.

I like your shots. Regarding the living shot, I think it looks fine. I like turning my 17ts-e slightly to get some interesting lines. If you were trying to align parallel with the back wall then that is a different matter. Much patience is required to get that lens parallel to a wall.
Greg

Greg
5DII * 17mm TS-E * 24mm TS-Ell * 17-40mmL * Zeiss 35-70mm * Zeiss 80-200mm
http://gnwatts.photosh​elter.com (external link)

gnwatts
266 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 11, 2012 13:50 |  #4488

john_galt wrote in post #13868766 (external link)
i plan on shooting a restaurant that is dimly lit, no windows so no external light. has some lit fish tanks in the middle to divide the room. would you recommend using off camera flash or just blending multiple exposures to keep the dim mood? or would flash on low power still be beneficial and be able to capture the dim lighting? my ps skills are no where near the skills in this thread yet.

Long exposures in a dimly lit room can work, as long as the light source is consistent (no mixtures of daylight and incandescent). I tend towards the more realistic looks, but as the photographer, only you can determine what you want out of the photos. Get input from your client and then decide.
Greg

Greg

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 11, 2012 15:01 |  #4489

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #13864844 (external link)
That angry man and the rest of the post is ironic. :p

Seriously though, people bugging me while I'm out shooting has to be the #1 annoying thing ever.

Yeah, I had a lady on Friday follow me around the entire time, ask to see EVERY SINGLE FREAKING IMAGE, and then would ask me to retake it from a slightly different angle. 2 hours I spent shooting when it should have only taken me about 45 minutes.

Some people have absolutely no respect for other's time. And, MOST of the suggestions she made were horrible suggestions. She wanted all this busy stuff in the photos and her composition was just awful. When I would try to explain to her how some of the stuff was not visually appealing for the image, she would say 'but I think it looks better that way'. LOL, but you are NOT buying this house, you are trying to sell it!!!! I can't wait to hear my client ask me 'what's the deal with these photos'.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

TheReal7
Goldmember
3,574 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 11, 2012 15:13 |  #4490

TGrundvig wrote in post #13869347 (external link)
Yeah, I had a lady on Friday follow me around the entire time, ask to see EVERY SINGLE FREAKING IMAGE, and then would ask me to retake it from a slightly different angle. 2 hours I spent shooting when it should have only taken me about 45 minutes.

Some people have absolutely no respect for other's time. And, MOST of the suggestions she made were horrible suggestions. She wanted all this busy stuff in the photos and her composition was just awful. When I would try to explain to her how some of the stuff was not visually appealing for the image, she would say 'but I think it looks better that way'. LOL, but you are NOT buying this house, you are trying to sell it!!!! I can't wait to hear my client ask me 'what's the deal with these photos'.

I'd personally **** out the agent in this scenario. In a nice way of course!

This hasn't happened to me nor would I allow it. Then again, I am rather intimidation to most people so they probably wouldn't try that. LOL

Follow me on Facebook: Natural Light Magic (external link)
Listen to my music: Fata Morgana (external link)

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 11, 2012 15:55 |  #4491

I'm certainly not the king of marketing but here is what I use as a strategy when facing "that kind" of owner (my client's client).

I tell them "My job is to market the house and not market your home. I have to create a photographic strategy that promotes the functionality of the rooms and create a desire to live here. All of the houses that I have photographed for your R/E agent, have been sold. So you can trust my eye for what compositions are needed."

This usually works out pretty good for me. Other time, my client (their agent) usually cuts in and tells their client to let me do my job and to trust my eye.

TheReal7 wrote in post #13869398 (external link)
I'd personally **** out the agent in this scenario. In a nice way of course!

This hasn't happened to me nor would I allow it. Then again, I am rather intimidation to most people so they probably wouldn't try that. LOL

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 11, 2012 16:05 |  #4492

Haha. Sheesh. That's exactly what I'm talking about. I get suggestions all of the time no matter what I'm shooting. I have people tell me to walk closer to the scene of action, people asking me multiple times if everybody looks good and fits in the frame until I just start shooting to signal them to stop talking, telling me that I'm taking way too long and then joke about how fast they can shoot it compared to me and all sorts of things. I'm sure I'm not alone in this but it just never ceases to amaze me how smart everyone thinks they are. And no, to the grammar police, that's a proper sentence since it was a list.

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

SeanH
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 11, 2012 19:54 |  #4493

john_galt wrote in post #13868766 (external link)

I would guess you're going to have to blend the tanks. That or try to balance the room with OCF. I'd just blend them, IMO that would be much easier. Watch those tanks, if they have white or light sand they are brighter than you think. They blow out super easy and the shot looks like crap......trust me on this ;)

7D ......waiting on the 5D3
10-22, 17-40 4.0 L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 2 X 580EX's

tomjwu
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 13, 2012 00:54 |  #4494

Hi, just join the group and am doing some R/E interior for a client recently and would like to learn more about the technique. For the basic, what tools, i.e. tripod or leveling device, do you use to get the edge perfectly straight. I shoot with my 24mm and the edge distortion is unmanageable even using PS lens correction.
Thanks in advance,
Tommy.

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 13, 2012 01:19 |  #4495

Camera model ?

tomjwu wrote in post #13876944 (external link)
Hi, just join the group and am doing some R/E interior for a client recently and would like to learn more about the technique. For the basic, what tools, i.e. tripod or leveling device, do you use to get the edge perfectly straight. I shoot with my 24mm and the edge distortion is unmanageable even using PS lens correction.
Thanks in advance,
Tommy.

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

discoduck
514 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 13, 2012 07:59 |  #4496

Shot a small house this past weekend

IMAGE: http://www.livingphoto.ca/52garden/images/Dining.jpg

http://52garden.living​photo.ca (external link)

How nice would it be to do this full time.

5Dc | 17-40 L
LivingPhoto.ca (external link) - Real Estate Photography
Facebook (external link) - How about a "Like"? :D

annietex
Goldmember
1,440 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 13, 2012 08:09 as a reply to  @ discoduck's post |  #4497

^^Those people like to party! ^^

I also liked the Virgin Mary sconces :) Nice work, BTW.

Ann
Gear List

gnwatts
266 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 13, 2012 09:59 as a reply to  @ annietex's post |  #4498

IMAGE: http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000Nc1iVpR5JKw/s/850/I0000Nc1iVpR5JKw.jpg

IMAGE: http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00001j2FkZR_SL0/s/850/I00001j2FkZR_SL0.jpg

IMAGE: http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000Pk9O2i2XM9A/s/850/I0000Pk9O2i2XM9A.jpg

IMAGE: http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000n9An9H3mVes/s/850/I0000n9An9H3mVes.jpg

Drove up to Boulder to shoot this house for the millwork contractor and the interior designer. Amazing location, lousy weather, snow etc. My task was to document the cabinetry, tile work and fixtures. Lot's of detail shots which was fun.
Link to the rest of the shots:

http://gnwatts.photosh​elter.com …/Boulder/G0000s​1q74lec8Vg (external link)

Comments appreciated.

Greg

dachness
298 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 13, 2012 15:21 |  #4499

How would the following tripod/ball head work for an entry level RE support system?

http://www.amazon.com …4XNF9RY/ref=cm_​cr_pr_pb_i (external link)

It has been reviewed by a forum member(who left review on amazon). It is also believed that Triopo the manufacturer is the OEM of HorusBennu.

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=13815405&pos​tcount=333

I found some reviews of the Triopo B-2 ball head which is included with the above tripod and it looks promising.

http://phototechnology​.wordpress.com …and-b-3-ball-head-review/ (external link)
http://www.linkdelight​.com …-for-Gitzo-Manfrotto.html (external link)

Daniel

Daniel
60D |10-18 f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Σ 17-50 f/2.8 OS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 430EX II

DaveKosiba
597 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 13, 2012 21:16 |  #4500

Looks very similar to my Dolica Carbon fiber tripod I purchased for $90 off NewEgg. If it's as good or better than mine, I say go for it.

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

sponsored links

2,937,332 views & 1,871 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.