Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 03 Feb 2012 (Friday) 13:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

getting a website up soon.

spitfirex007
96 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 03, 2012 13:50 |  #1

I would like to have my website up and running by the end of this month. And I don't even know where to begin!

What are some good hosting sites? I know I've heard good things about Hostgator. I need something that will allow to me to add a cart and accept credit cards But that is down a line.

And I know very little about website building. So I planned on using word press. But how exactly does that work?

And do you know of any good places to get templates? I seen one on themeforest that I really like. I don't want anything to do with flash.

sponsored links
drumstix
45 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 03, 2012 19:17 |  #2

I'm using Wordpress as a beginning step. Then eventually creating my own website when Im more established. They have tons of free templates or premium ones for a charge. Just do some research on Wordpress. Good luck.

Canon 5D Mark II
---------------
My Website (external link)
My Facebook (external link)

WHB
90 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 04, 2012 10:39 as a reply to  @ drumstix's post |  #3

I'm using Photium to host my site. It's easy to use, relatively inexpensive and offers a variety of templates. They also give you 30 days to play with it before you have to sign on the dotted line.

5d gripped/5d gripped/ Canon 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS/ Canon 17-40mm 4L/ Canon 100mm 2.8 L/ Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L/
www.hithercreekphotos.​com (external link)

jtalerico
486 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2012 12:22 |  #4

Smugmug + Blogger (or wordpress).

Smugmug to host the images, Blogger/Wordpress for the blog portions. I have written code to implement Blogger/Wordpress into Smugmug (all javascript based). I have it on DGRIN.

Website (external link) 7D | 70-200 2.8 IS L | 10-20 F3.5 SLD | 17-50 F2.8 EX FLD | 580EX II | BG-E7 | Bogen legs & Bogen 3265 Head | ThinkTank UD60 | Lowpro 302AW

BobHunter
48 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 06, 2012 23:20 |  #5

I would recommend Wordpress with a few well placed Google searches to get you started on how to get setup.

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 07, 2012 09:27 |  #6

Also have a look at Zenfolio. Very easy to use and customize.

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

John
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 07, 2012 20:36 |  #7

WordPress is basically a web application for blogs but due to its popularity, it's turned into a content management system of its own.

For WP themes, check out http://themeforest.net​/ (external link)

Also, there are some decent free themes out there if you google for them.

As for accepting payment through your site, a lot of people start using PayPal.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 08, 2012 00:58 |  #8

HostGator -> Wordpress -> Theme.

Get a free/cheap theme for now, and later on you can upgrade without moving content and messing up your SEO. Speaking of SEO, wordpress is great for it, tons of plug ins. If you want to sell photos later on there are eCommerce plugins, or you can link to a smugmug account. If you wanna spend the big bucks you can set up RedCart.

My entire site is run off of wordpress and I use RedCart for sales.

travsirocz
189 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 11, 2012 17:56 |  #9

Huge fan of ProPhoto Blogs on Wordpress paired with Smugmug. My take of ProPhoto below.

http://www.dewitzphoto​graphy.com …py-photographer-customer/ (external link)

Updated information about Prophoto 4 (external link).

IMAGE: http://www.dewitzphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/ProPhoto-Blog-Discount-Code-TDEW2869(pp_w707_h135).jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.dewitzphoto​graphy.com …graphers-using-wordpress/  (external link)

Dewitz Photography | Eau Claire, WI Portrait Photographer (external link)
Commercial Photography Company | Eau Claire, WI Commercial Photographer (external link)
The Boudoir | Eau Claire, WI Boudoir Photographers (external link)
My Blaze Orange Deer Hunting Culture Book (external link)
$10 discount code for ProPhoto Photography Blog/Website (external link) TDEW2869
Travis Dewitz

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 13, 2012 00:20 |  #10

spitfirex007 wrote in post #13819915 (external link)
I would like to have my website up and running by the end of this month. And I don't even know where to begin!

What are some good hosting sites? I know I've heard good things about Hostgator. I need something that will allow to me to add a cart and accept credit cards But that is down a line.

And I know very little about website building. So I planned on using word press. But how exactly does that work?

And do you know of any good places to get templates? I seen one on themeforest that I really like. I don't want anything to do with flash.

Do you want to learn from scratch and do you have time to do it?
You do not have a wordpress running in one month, especially if you want to do it yourself and know nothing about how to.
I learn to build mine by following a 10 weeks webinar. Every wednesday from 3 to 4:30pm California time and on friday a one hour Q&A from 8 to 9AM.
The cost was $300 and here is my teacher his website : http://burrellgroup.co​m/ (external link)
My website is called http://LetPicturesTalk​.com (external link)

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 13, 2012 09:33 |  #11

Ronny Geenen wrote in post #13876863 (external link)
You do not have a wordpress running in one month

Thats funny. Wordpress is by far the easiest thing to use, you can have it up and running in an hour. I know a few people that have no clue about web design and they had their sites up in an afternoon.

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 13, 2012 11:15 |  #12

chrismallet wrote in post #13878281 (external link)
Thats funny. Wordpress is by far the easiest thing to use, you can have it up and running in an hour. I know a few people that have no clue about web design and they had their sites up in an afternoon.

Depends on what you understands by a website.
website and website might be two different worlds.
As a Realtor I am a member of a national listserv with over 200,000 members and among them many well known IT and SEO people. My websites that I have learned to design are just very simple sites in comparing what these people understand of a real website.
Most sites will only shows up if you know the IP address.
Or do you call a registered domain with 3 or 4 pages free use from one provider also a website? I call that just a personal page that the owner has to offer to friends and family to let them know of the existance.

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 13, 2012 13:39 |  #13

Ronny Geenen wrote in post #13878830 (external link)
Depends on what you understands by a website.
website and website might be two different worlds.
As a Realtor I am a member of a national listserv with over 200,000 members and among them many well known IT and SEO people. My websites that I have learned to design are just very simple sites in comparing what these people understand of a real website.
Most sites will only shows up if you know the IP address.
Or do you call a registered domain with 3 or 4 pages free use from one provider also a website? I call that just a personal page that the owner has to offer to friends and family to let them know of the existance.

I have no idea what you just said.

SpeedyGoo
242 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 13, 2012 14:11 |  #14

Use wordpress by all means but dont pay someone to learn wordpress is easy to use and just google to learn theres thousands of tutorials and helps pages out there.

as you wish to sell smugmug is probably the best option for you there as the templates are pretty simple to use.

Brandon72
246 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 13, 2012 15:32 |  #15

chrismallet wrote in post #13878281 (external link)

Care to share the links to these sites that were built in an afternoon from scratch with no knowledge?

sponsored links

2,794 views & 0 likes for this thread
getting a website up soon.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.