Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 07 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 15:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Solution for high noise for landscape?

AlexB_Photo
147 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 07, 2012 15:45 |  #1

I have a 20D and a 450D and I am finding that when I shoot landscapes, including star photography with long shutter speeds, I have very high noise, even at my lowest ISO of 100. I can't afford a new body, even the old 1D right now but need a solution. I've also noticed some noise even at faster speeds, up to about 1/40th at ISO 200.

I also have an old AE-1 with several lenses I use on my EOS bodies with an adapter from time to time (not a factor in the noise). If I could get my hands on some 25 ISO film or even 50 would that be a big enough change? Would it be worth it? My lenses aren't spectacular. My best being a Canon 70-210mm f/4 and Kiron 105mm f/2.8 Macro.

Any other solutions? I've tried cleaning my sensors too and that doesn't help. These aren't extraordinarily old bodies and should have higher performance in my mind.

Thanks in advance.

Active Lifestyle Photography & Video (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)
6D w/ grip | 70D | 24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/4L
For Sale:
20D * 2, 450D w/ grip, Tenba Medium Shootout Backpack

sponsored links
argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 07, 2012 16:50 |  #2

Can you post an example or two? Hard to tell anything otherwise. Long exposures (sensor gets warmer the longer the shutter is open), and improper exposure will also contribute to noise. There are also aftermarket plug-ins such as Noise Ninja, Neat Image, etc.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 07, 2012 21:09 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #3

Any you using any long exposure noise reduction features on the bodies (assuming they have them)?

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 07, 2012 22:06 as a reply to  @ MCAsan's post |  #4

Alex
Without seeing some examples here is a thought.
When exposing the shots, expose with the histogram favoring the right side. This may help your issue or at least reduce some of the issue.
How are you processing the images?

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

Cygnusx1
366 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 07, 2012 22:15 |  #5

I did very long star exposures with my 20D and had great clean shots. Use lower ISO's and turn on the long exposure noise reduction feature.

http://dcer.smugmug.co​m …n/1209628557_dE​gEB-X3.jpg (external link) <---20D

Canon 20D(sold), EOS 7D, Bower 8mm, Canon f/2.5 Macro, Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 80-400mm EX/DG/OS.
http://www.cafepress.c​om/singlelensreflex (external link)
http://dcer.smugmug.co​m/ (external link)

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,534 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 08, 2012 08:36 |  #6

Without upgrading your body, you have a few choices if you're still seeing noise at ISO 100:

1. Turn on long exposure noise reduction in camera.
2. Over-expose by 1/3 - 2/3 of a stop and pull the exposure back down in post.
3. Invest in noise reduction software.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
R6, EF16-35 f4 IS, EF 50 1.2, EF 100 2.8 IS Macro, 150-600C

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 08, 2012 10:29 as a reply to  @ MNUplander's post |  #7

I would not use any in-camera long exposure noise reduction for the simple fact that it will basically double the time until your camera is able/ready to take another shot. For shutter speed of 1 or 2 seconds, its probably not a big deal. But if you're shooting at shutter speeds much greater than that (i.e. 30-seconds), it could be a while before your camera is ready to shoot again. Disable the in-camera NR in your camera's menu and deal with it in post.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

AlexB_Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 08, 2012 12:42 |  #8

I'll try the over-exposure method mentioned by MNUplander. I have Noise Reduction turned on in both bodies and it doesn't seem to make a difference so I might turn it off.

I'll try software because Lightroom 3's noise reduction makes it look fake

Active Lifestyle Photography & Video (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)
6D w/ grip | 70D | 24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/4L
For Sale:
20D * 2, 450D w/ grip, Tenba Medium Shootout Backpack

Geonerd
542 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009

Feb 08, 2012 16:24 |  #9

Please attach an image or, better yet, upload a RAW to dropbox or a similar file hosting site.

Stand-alone programs like Neatimage do a fair job, but you have to be careful with the parameters, so as to avoid nuking the faint stars.

You might play with http://ufraw.sourcefor​ge.net/ (external link) It has a dark frame option that should eradicate much of your noise. (Win installer at http://sourceforge.net …w-0.18-setup.exe/download (external link) ) You'll need to make a small library of dark-frame images, each corresponding to a range of shutter times. Rough half-stop increments are generally good enough. Eg: 1 sec, 1.5, 2, 3, 5, 8, etc.

armis
903 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 14, 2012 06:45 |  #10

For star trail photography, I took multiple, faster shots to keep noise down and took a black frame with the same speed which I substracted from each shot. I then combined all the shots (pretty much layering them on in Screen mode). There's some pretty good freeware out there that handles all that automatically but I honestly can't remember its name.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 14, 2012 07:01 |  #11

That's exactly what I do. Set your camera to continuous shooting mode, manual focus, 30 sec. shutter speed, use a cable release and lock it. The camera will take 30 sec. consecutive shots. You combine them with software like this: http://www.startrails.​de/ (external link) (which is free) and you got clean, noise-free star trail pics.

armis wrote in post #13894839 (external link)
For star trail photography, I took multiple, faster shots to keep noise down and took a black frame with the same speed which I substracted from each shot. I then combined all the shots (pretty much layering them on in Screen mode). There's some pretty good freeware out there that handles all that automatically but I honestly can't remember its name.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

2,143 views & 0 likes for this thread
Solution for high noise for landscape?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.