Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 00:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 13, 2012 16:51 |  #3271

CajunJosh wrote in post #13877410 (external link)
Autofocus seems to be Canon's biggest complaint. In 2008 superior AF seemed to be on the Nikon side but Canon has had four years to make improvements and the 7D from yesteryear and the 1DX both appear to have great AF systems, doesn't seem that they will disappoint in the AF arena this go round.

The 7D's AF system has its flaws, The points are a bit too big and have a nasty habit of picking things at the very edge of the point to focus on as opposed to what you really want in focus....

A bunch of people have had issues with their 7D's AF system just not working well for them... And its not just "user error" like some people want to say

IMHO its a decent system, But has its flaws, a bit overly complicated and hard for most users to understand, Requires a lot of playing with C.Fn to get really good performance out of it, Maybe I could say it has an extreme personality, When its good its good and rock solid, but when its bad, my god is it bad...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 13, 2012 16:51 |  #3272

http://www.ronmartblog​.com …-1d-x-lots-of-photos.html (external link)

Worth a read...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 13, 2012 17:02 |  #3273

KenjiS wrote in post #13891631 (external link)
The 7D's AF system has its flaws, The points are a bit too big and have a nasty habit of picking things at the very edge of the point to focus on as opposed to what you really want in focus....

A bunch of people have had issues with their 7D's AF system just not working well for them... And its not just "user error" like some people want to say

IMHO its a decent system, But has its flaws, a bit overly complicated and hard for most users to understand, Requires a lot of playing with C.Fn to get really good performance out of it, Maybe I could say it has an extreme personality, When its good its good and rock solid, but when its bad, my god is it bad...

I don't understand when people post things like this about the 7D. I've owned two of them and combined have probably done well over 30k shots mostly wildlife. I never have an AF problem unless I screw up and focus on a twig instead of a bird. Two different bodies and they both behave the exact same way.

Flickr (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 13, 2012 17:18 |  #3274

If it's anything like any of the other non 1-series AF systems in Canon's lineup, the actual AF sensors go beyond the boxes shown in the viewfinder, which is why it picks up the wrong target sometimes. At least you can alleviate that by going with spot focus.

Hopefully the 1DX will have both speed and accuracy in spades. It's embarrassing for 1-series AF to still be beaten in AF acquisition speed in low light by the 5DII's center point (Is that still the case with the 1DIV? That was my experience with the 1DII and what I had read about the 1DIII).

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 13, 2012 17:30 |  #3275

K6AZ wrote in post #13891679 (external link)
I don't understand when people post things like this about the 7D. I've owned two of them and combined have probably done well over 30k shots mostly wildlife. I never have an AF problem unless I screw up and focus on a twig instead of a bird. Two different bodies and they both behave the exact same way.

I found the 7D's "out of the box" AF settings pretty rubbish and needed a fair amount of tuning using the manual and a bit of on line help. It's complex and assumes you really know the AF system and it's not particularly intuative. Some of the menus are fussy and it took me a few weeks to work out how I was going to use the various modes and tune them. But soon as I understood the system and how / when to use the various modes I pretty quickly came to respect hte camera's AF abilities....i mean how cool is that....a Canon camera that nails AI servo!

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youҒre having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 13, 2012 17:30 |  #3276

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #13891762 (external link)
If it's anything like any of the other non 1-series AF systems in Canon's lineup, the actual AF sensors go beyond the boxes shown in the viewfinder, which is why it picks up the wrong target sometimes. At least you can alleviate that by going with spot focus.

Hopefully the 1DX will have both speed and accuracy in spades. It's embarrassing for 1-series AF to still be beaten in AF acquisition speed in low light by the 5DII's center point (Is that still the case with the 1DIV? That was my experience with the 1DII and what I had read about the 1DIII).

I've seen numerous complaints about both the 5D2 and 1D4 having trouble in low light. I've never had trouble with either, I don't shoot in caves, nightclubs, or back alleys. If the 1D X AF system is an improvement over the 1D4 it will be fantastic.

Flickr (external link)

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 13, 2012 17:32 |  #3277

K6AZ wrote in post #13891824 (external link)
I've seen numerous complaints about both the 5D2 and 1D4 having trouble in low light. I've never had trouble with either, I don't shoot in caves, nightclubs, or back alleys. If the 1D X AF system is an improvement over the 1D4 it will be fantastic.

I agree with you there. I regularly shoot my 5DII's in very low light (i'm an available light UK weding photographer). But I have noticed that certain lenses have more trouble in low light than others. My 24-70L nails reception dance shots no issue, but my 35 f1.4 L often struggles and yet it has a clear brightness advantage....but it's AF system is a lot worse for some reason. If Canon bring out a 35mm f1.4 II L, i'll be first in the queue!

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youҒre having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 13, 2012 17:33 |  #3278

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #13891823 (external link)
I found the 7D's "out of the box" AF settings pretty rubbish and needed a fair amount of tuning using the manual and a bit of on line help. It's complex and assumes you really know the AF system and it's not particularly intuative. Some of the menus are fussy and it took me a few weeks to work out how I was going to use the various modes and tune them. But soon as I understood the system and how / when to use the various modes I pretty quickly came to respect hte camera's AF abilities....i mean how cool is that....a Canon camera that nails AI servo!

Exactly, it's actually a very complicated system and most of the custom function settings will affect others so it does take a lot of reading and tweaking to get it right for your style of shooting. The body I have now was a refurb and looked like new, the image count was at 240 something and it was probably returned for a defective AF system.

Flickr (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 13, 2012 17:37 |  #3279

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #13891838 (external link)
I agree with you there. I regularly shoot my 5DII's in very low light (i'm an available light UK weding photographer). But I have noticed that certain lenses have more trouble in low light than others. My 24-70L nails reception dance shots no issue, but my 35 f1.4 L often struggles and yet it has a clear brightness advantage....but it's AF system is a lot worse for some reason. If Canon bring out a 35mm f1.4 II L, i'll be first in the queue!

Indoors using ambient light and the 5D2 I usually am using the 24-70 or the 50L and don't have any trouble with either. I've never noticed a problem with the 35L but I used that on the 7D until I picked up a 17-55.

Flickr (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,117 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 13, 2012 18:24 as a reply to  @ K6AZ's post |  #3280

if you are judging the companies by their latest offerings you'll always be discontent....or at least you will be half the time. go see if the grass is greener. meanwhile where's my 1dx :D?

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 13, 2012 19:50 |  #3281

ed rader wrote in post #13892147 (external link)
if you are judging the companies by their latest offerings you'll always be discontent....or at least you will be half the time. go see if the grass is greener. meanwhile where's my 1dx :D?

ed rader

You going to get one right away Ed or are you going to be like me and let everyone else be the guinea pigs? :lol:

Flickr (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,117 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 13, 2012 21:33 |  #3282

K6AZ wrote in post #13892674 (external link)
You going to get one right away Ed or are you going to be like me and let everyone else be the guinea pigs? :lol:

well. i think i'm gonna jump right in :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

jdizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 13, 2012 21:46 |  #3283

ed rader wrote in post #13893316 (external link)
well. i think i'm gonna jump right in :D.

ed rader

Nice! Did you preorder? :)

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 14, 2012 01:21 |  #3284

jdizzle wrote in post #13893396 (external link)
Nice! Did you preorder? :)

:lol: deja-vu anyone :p

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Feb 14, 2012 07:50 |  #3285

Yup. I got tired of the BS crap that people said about it being User error and because the AF system was new and complex. BS, the 7D AF had lots of AF flaws especially in earlier units.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

sponsored links

525,697 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.