Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 03:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Did Something Really Stupid: Is my gear now at risk for fungus?

JonasHayward
56 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 14, 2012 03:24 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Hi.

I'll cut to the chase: Yesterday, it was about 16°F and snow was just started to fall. After taking pictures outside for more than an hour, I decided to go back inside to warm up a bit.

The problem? I completely forgot about the camera and lens that were hanging from my neck. Not only that, but my camera bag was accidentally unzipped. Needless to say, everything fogged over rather quickly. In desperation, I rushed inside my apartment to grab a microfiber cloth, so that I could prevent my gear from fogging up any more than it already had.

In hindsight, this was not a smart move, given that the inside of my apartment was a toasty 68°F. Obviously, I ended up making things worse than they already were.

At this point, I had decided that it was already far too late to correct my error, so I furiously began wiping down my equipment with the microfiber cloth. I also used my Giotto Rocket to blow some air onto the surface of my lenses.

After about 20 minutes, everything *appeared* to be in good shape. There was no fog that I could see, and things seemed to be working just fine. However, I am now 100% paranoid about fungus. I've read horror stories online about this issue, and I just can't shake the feeling that I have now greatly increased my chances for it to appear inside my equipment.

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this? Would it be worth it to have Canon look my equipment over, or am I being way too over-protective?

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 14, 2012 03:27 |  #2

Where do you live and is high relative humidity a regular thing?

If not, I wouldn't worry too much.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 14, 2012 03:43 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #3

Stop panicking !!

You will be fine. I have fogged my gear up many, many times shooting in "tropical houses" in zoos etc. These are often at very high humidity to simulate rainforest conditions and entering from the usual UK climate means that my gear fogs up completely for about 30 minutes or so, whilst I sit and wait for it to acclimatise. I have cameras and lenses that have had this treatment many times, over several years, all of which are fine.

Fungus needs damp and dark conditions over a period of at least 24 hours to start forming. If you fog up the camera and lens and let them clear naturally, the way you did, it is only damp for a short period of time. Way less time than fungus needs to start forming.

So, yes, you are worrying too much.

JonasHayward
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 14, 2012 03:46 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13894466 (external link)
Where do you live and is high relative humidity a regular thing?

If not, I wouldn't worry too much.

I live in Sioux City, Iowa.

JonasHayward
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 14, 2012 03:52 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

sandpiper wrote in post #13894497 (external link)
Stop panicking !!

You will be fine. I have fogged my gear up many, many times shooting in "tropical houses" in zoos etc. These are often at very high humidity to simulate rainforest conditions and entering from the usual UK climate means that my gear fogs up completely for about 30 minutes or so, whilst I sit and wait for it to acclimatise. I have cameras and lenses that have had this treatment many times, over several years, all of which are fine.

Fungus needs damp and dark conditions over a period of at least 24 hours to start forming. If you fog up the camera and lens and let them clear naturally, the way you did, it is only damp for a short period of time. Way less time than fungus needs to start forming.

So, yes, you are worrying too much.

Well...I wouldn't say there was anything "natural" about what I did. There were literally tiny melting snow flakes on the front of my lens that I had attached to the body. *Shakes head*

I dropped the ball here, but thankfully, it appears that if I keep this to a minimum, fungus won't be an issue.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 14, 2012 03:59 |  #6

External fogging of glass =/= Continuous high humidity inside the glass.

You're Fine...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 14, 2012 04:30 |  #7

Your lens won't sprout a jungle the moment its exposed to a bit of water. Don't worry about it. My equipment has fogged quite a few times, its had condensation form on it outside because the temperature was past the dew point, and its still perfectly fungus-free.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,562 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 14, 2012 08:35 |  #8

You're worrying over absolutely nothing. Fungus is not caused by a little condensation that comes and goes in a matter of minutes.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 14, 2012 09:29 |  #9

don't worry about it. 16 degrees, you shouldn't have a humidity problem

armis
890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 14, 2012 11:11 |  #10

I've taken my old, non-weather sealed 20D to Iceland, Jordan, Vietnamese jungles, the Alps, the Caribbean, and all sorts of other places, all the while switching lenses like crazy and never once caring about temperature changes. My gear fogged up completely more times than I can count. Never got any fungus, and all the protection I had was one bag of silica gel in my camera bag. I think you can relax.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 14, 2012 11:21 |  #11

Like others have said, you'll be fine!

Bryan

My Gear List

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 14, 2012 13:07 |  #12

I laughed at the part where you said snow flakes landing on the front element.
You're ok. I've taken my gear all across the world, including the jungles of the amazon and they are still fine.

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

JonasHayward
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 14, 2012 14:06 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Well guys, now I've REALLY managed to 'phuck' things up:

While using my 50D and Sigma 17-70 on a tripod, I managed to bump into it and cause the entire set-up to fall face first into the snow. Like the idiot I tend to be, I did not have a lens hood or a filter on the front of the lens element. (Note: This was not one of the lenses that had fogged up earlier.)

To be honest, it may be a good thing that there was a healthy amount of snow on the ground to break the fall. Otherwise, I would most certainly be looking at a broken lens and/or camera mount.

Granted, it might not even matter, as I imagine *this* could actually be a legitimate cause for concern over potential fungus growth. (Unlike my worries over fogging.)

Damn. I just can NOT believe how stupid I was in one night: Thankfully, the pictures are turning out pretty well. But still....*Head-Desk*

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,413 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 14, 2012 14:14 |  #14

You're still fine; just let it dry out thoroughly. I recently had an incident where enough water wound up in the top LCD panel space that there was a visible bubble floating around in there, like a bubble level.

Pack it in with some dessicant, like you find in those little packets with your shoes, and everything will be ok. Living in Iowa, unless you also call a greenhouse home, you're not likely to get fungus just from getting your gear bit damp :)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 14, 2012 14:17 |  #15

Is this a troll?

Let's be charitable and acknowledge your streak of bad luck as genuine. In which case, yes, you ARE being paranoid. Actually, 'way beyond paranoia and into gibbering irrationality.

Please be assured - your gear is far tougher than you think. Yes, it is precision technology, but it's built to take far more grief than you threw at it.

Wipe it down with a soft cloth, clean your glass with a lenspen or similar if you must. Then start using it and enjoying it.

~ Wallace
Gear List

sponsored links

2,922 views & 0 likes for this thread
I Did Something Really Stupid: Is my gear now at risk for fungus?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.