Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 20:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need advice on my website. Thank you !

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 14, 2012 20:53 |  #1

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I decided to make a website and advertise my real Estate Photography services. My first attempt was a flop as there were major load time issues with it. I was using Go Daddy Hosting services with a Wordpress website.

* No disrespect intended towards Go Daddy by the way !

I recently chose to work with Smugmug. Please have a look at my website and tell me what you think. www.joelguindon.com (external link)

I will be specializing in architectural photography and offering real estate photography services.

Upcoming changes are: better portfolio and adding a few pages to the website that describe my services / fees and other related information.

PS: I haven't started to advertize it yet. I'm waiting for it to be completed.

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,577 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 14, 2012 20:58 |  #2

Sorry Joe, but that site doesn't work either. No disrespect intended but are you sure your prior problem was actually GoDaddy?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Joe.Recon
THREAD ­ STARTER
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 14, 2012 21:03 |  #3

sapearl wrote in post #13899420 (external link)
No disrespect intended

None taken my dear man ! As for the website not working...it is working on my laptop and on my wife's laptop !!! So...I don't know what to tell you. I'm at a loss for words here...

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,577 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 14, 2012 21:25 |  #4

This is what I see when I click on the link you provided - are you and your wife on the same server or internal network perhaps so you're viewing the same thing? It says: These aren't the photos you're looking for. SmugMug's Support Heroes are awfully sorry, but we just can't find that page. We'd love to help, though - just tell us how!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

x0SiN0x
238 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 14, 2012 22:35 |  #5

sapearl wrote in post #13899584 (external link)
This is what I see when I click on the link you provided - are you and your wife on the same server or internal network perhaps so you're viewing the same thing? It says: These aren't the photos you're looking for. SmugMug's Support Heroes are awfully sorry, but we just can't find that page. We'd love to help, though - just tell us how!

I see the same thing

x0SiN0x AKA Tony - SiN is a (video) game name, nothing more!
Still learning (yes, newb) like some of you here, so please take any recommendations/opinio​ns with that in mind.
-[SmugMug (external link) | Gear | Feedback]-

Joe.Recon
THREAD ­ STARTER
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 14, 2012 22:47 |  #6

I'll be having a quick look at that...i have no luck hahaha

sapearl wrote in post #13899584 (external link)

x0SiN0x wrote in post #13899918 (external link)
I see the same thing

Feedback

tman2782
987 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 15, 2012 00:47 |  #7

Works for me...

1. Either get rid of that hideous dotted background or change the colour of your logo and the menu text. It does not work with the background and my eyes hurt.

2. "Welcome to my website. I specialize in architectural photography." isn't enough as a description of yourself.

3. Where are you located??!

4. Why is there a link called "Real Estate Agents" in your menu? One would imagine that link is a good place to find real estate agents, then it leads to something else.

You need to be clear on the structure of your website. Don't make it a mash for a place to dump all your photos, that is what sites like Flickr is for.

Terence # www.terencepereiraphot​o.com (external link)
facebook (external link) | twitter (external link) | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link) | GearList

Joe.Recon
THREAD ­ STARTER
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 15, 2012 01:38 |  #8

tman2782 wrote in post #13900386 (external link)
Works for me...

1. Either get rid of that hideous dotted background or change the colour of your logo and the menu text. It does not work with the background and my eyes hurt.

2. "Welcome to my website. I specialize in architectural photography." isn't enough as a description of yourself.

3. Where are you located??!

4. Why is there a link called "Real Estate Agents" in your menu? One would imagine that link is a good place to find real estate agents, then it leads to something else.

You need to be clear on the structure of your website. Don't make it a mash for a place to dump all your photos, that is what sites like Flickr is for.

Thank you, will be working on this shortly

Feedback

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 15, 2012 02:53 |  #9

It works for me, and looks good. I don't like the header/logo much is all.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,577 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 15, 2012 05:34 |  #10

Now it shows Joe and loads pretty quickly.

The logo isn't too bad. I'd just keep one of those images for simplicity sake and get rid of the text effects for "architectural photography." Less is more and this will give it a cleaner sleaker look. Are most of these HDR - not a criticism, if they are...........just wondering if that's what most people are doing these days in architecture.

GEAR LIST

Codda
222 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 15, 2012 05:59 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #11

I didn't scrutinize the logo...but I think your portfolio is great and the site loads and displays terrific...Nice job & good luck with your pursuit.

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 15, 2012 07:05 |  #12

I like it... Nice and clean, bright. It definitely "works" for real estate/architectural photography.

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

Joe.Recon
THREAD ­ STARTER
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 15, 2012 07:46 |  #13

tim wrote in post #13900708 (external link)
It works for me, and looks good. I don't like the header/logo much is all.

Thank you for taking the time to view. So what don't you like about it ?

sapearl wrote in post #13900953 (external link)
Now it shows Joe and loads pretty quickly.

The logo isn't too bad. I'd just keep one of those images for simplicity sake and get rid of the text effects for "architectural photography." Less is more and this will give it a cleaner sleaker look. Are most of these HDR - not a criticism, if they are...........just wondering if that's what most people are doing these days in architecture.

Tahnk you again. I will keep working on it. As for the use of HDR, I don't know if it's a wide use but I use it for real estate photography. I'm still reading up on architectural photography and that is what I want to lean towards. I've seen some great architectural photographers use a mix of HDR and Flash for images. Have a look at Mike Butler (external link).

Codda wrote in post #13900989 (external link)
I didn't scrutinize the logo...but I think your portfolio is great and the site loads and displays terrific...Nice job & good luck with your pursuit.

Thank you for viewing.

Feedback

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 15, 2012 09:00 |  #14

You have to click 3 thumbnails to see a full sized image, I think that's a shame because the images look good.

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 16, 2012 15:28 |  #15

jonwhite wrote in post #13901533 (external link)
You have to click 3 thumbnails to see a full sized image, I think that's a shame because the images look good.

I agree. I also think your logo/banner is WAY too big. Are you selling your banner or your pictures? ;)

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

sponsored links

2,498 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need advice on my website. Thank you !
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.