Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 15 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 01:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Composition and Posing Critique

Jloader
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 15, 2012 01:20 |  #1

Hi all,
this is my first post.
Im a reasonably new photographer and I took this image at a workshop that I went to.
As I'm not really sure with what Im doing, could someone please provide any feedback.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7200/6879679991_fe2d822226_b.jpg
Shot was taken with a 7D using a Tamron 28-75mm at 75(x1.6) f3.2 1/400 iso160

thanks

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
3,795 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 15, 2012 01:56 |  #2

I think you have to rethink your composition. The woman is looking out of the frame and there is a blurry building competing for interest in the background. Focus on one subject (the bldg or woman) and compose accordingly. I'd crop out the building and go for a vertical portrait of the woman with the right border near her left arm. And it appears to me that you need a bump in exposure to brighten her up and maybe a white-balance for her skin.

-- Image Editing OK --

CalmAsToast
195 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 15, 2012 11:11 |  #3

I have to disagree with Qbx on the crop, (sorry). Your current crop is balanced very nicely with the building giving weight to the right side of the frame. Having her look out of frame with the building blurred in the background also adds some mystery to the shot and makes you wonder where she's coming from and going to and why. In other words it tells a story, So I wouldn't change it.

Her billowy outfit isn't very flattering to her so a better choice of wardrobe would be something to consider in the future.

That single orphaned branch on the right edge is a distraction and I would consider cloning it out.

Nice work, keep it up.

5D Mk III 7D Canon Lenses 35 2.0 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 24-105 4L IS | 28-135 IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 70-300 IS
---------------
Feedback & Gear
500px (external link) - PattersonVisualArts.co​m (external link)

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 15, 2012 11:29 |  #4

if you turn on image editing allowed you might get some different ideas...

Flashstan
197 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 15, 2012 12:15 |  #5

I like the crop the way that it is. It is not a portrait, it is a landscape with a lady in the foreground. Like CalmAsToast said it tells a story. I am wondering myself what she is looking at. I do not need to see it but being that I am wondering means you did a good job.

Gear List

Jloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 15, 2012 14:07 as a reply to  @ Flashstan's post |  #6

thanks for your feedback everyone,
I can see both sides to the story - and it goes to show how subjective photography is (no idea/view is necessarily right or wrong)

jffielde
195 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 15, 2012 14:22 |  #7

I would generally agree with the comment that there's competition for attention and that you shouldn't generally have people looking / going out of the frame, but I like it here.

I do think the exposure is low and she seems too orange/pink to me.

Qbx
Goldmember
3,795 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 16, 2012 04:17 |  #8

CalmAsToast wrote in post #13902300 (external link)
I have to disagree with Qbx on the crop, (sorry). Your current crop is balanced very nicely with the building giving weight to the right side of the frame. Having her look out of frame with the building blurred in the background also adds some mystery to the shot and makes you wonder where she's coming from and going to and why. In other words it tells a story, So I wouldn't change it.

Her billowy outfit isn't very flattering to her so a better choice of wardrobe would be something to consider in the future.

That single orphaned branch on the right edge is a distraction and I would consider cloning it out.

Nice work, keep it up.

Toast, I see your point and I agree that including the building can add some story value; but let's straighten it and brighten it a bit.
Here are two takes - but her skin still looks a bit too red to me.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-- Image Editing OK --

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,276 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 16, 2012 04:21 |  #9

I quite like the original, not at all keen on Qbx's edits. I agree with the comment about the billowy top and I like that she is looking out of frame, makes me think about what is there that is making her smile.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Blog (external link) 5∞px (external link)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? ::: A closed mouth gathers no foot.

thefracas
66 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 16, 2012 08:22 |  #10

just an incey wincey crop to cut out that wayward tree on the right. love the building in the background, she looks great and I love the colours. She's a bit dark but i think it gets away with it because it's so sharp.

| T H E F R A C A S | saying NO to vignetting in 2012! |

SnapItQuick
88 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 16, 2012 08:37 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

The pose seems awkward to me, the flowing shirt detract from the photo.

sponsored links

1,085 views & 0 likes for this thread
Composition and Posing Critique
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.