Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 23:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much $ have you spend on your camera, lens, gears, accessories, etc...

imports
134 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 14, 2012 15:29 |  #301

Im right around $7,500 and wanting more gear everyday of the week. And my wife let me blow it all on photo-gears that is if i have the money.

5D MarkIIGripped
24-105 F4 EF L
16-35mm L
EX-580II flash
85mm 1.8

sponsored links
Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,808 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 14, 2012 16:09 |  #302

skygod44 wrote in post #13894685 (external link)
Interesting points, though I can't see a parallel between a owning a few sofas and doing photography. I guess though that, as you said, photography is your hobby.
Mine isn't.
So I doubt I'll spend huge money on, for example, a 5D3 when it comes out because my clients really wouldn't know/see the difference.
I shoot PR/classical concerts professionally, so "recouping" money is kinda part 'n' parcel.
And my 7D gets the job done beautifully, within spec, efficiently, quietly(!), and with a choice of lenses, exactly appropriate to the job.
I'm thinking about a 24-70LII.....but I might go with the Tamron because its cost-effectiveness might be a lot higher. Don't know yet. We'll see.
Oh, and "family/friends"? Of course, they get a good discount. :lol::lol::lol:

Hi Simon,

What I was meaning with the inclusion of the lounges, was that a lot of people justify (legitimise) the thought of making money back from photography because of the large outlay on gear.
It's like I could have bought a cheap 3 piece lounge, but because I opted for the full grain buttoned leather Chesterfield, I need to "recoup" some of that outlay back by charging people for sitting upon them.

If Canon or Nikon sold DSLR's with 3 good lenses and a flash for $35.00 lots of people would lose the mind set of trying to recoup on that $35.00 investment, but because you can spend $10,000 easily on the above gear, it tends to trigger in some a compulsion to "make money from my photography" syndrome.

Photography is a total hobby for me, it's what I do in my spare time to relax and unwind and be creative.
I can read books and magazines about photography, watch video's on photograhy, learn photography, enjoy the interaction on photography forums and take out my gear and shoot when ever I like in my spare bedroom "studio" and take my gear with me on day trips looking for things to shoot.

For the enjoyment that I derive from photography and all the related aspects of it at any time of the day or night, in fine or inclement weather $25,000+++ is cheap compared to other much more expensive hobbies that I'm involved in and have been involved in.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,808 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 14, 2012 16:15 |  #303

shoenberg3 wrote in post #13896476 (external link)
wuzzitoya, you don't need 10K to have a complete kit, especially for what you are shooting (pictures of chickens and stuff). honestly, even 6k is enough for an amateur. i spent no more than 2k on my kit and i think it's sufficient enough that i shouldn't blame my equipment for bad photography or missed shots.

that is, unless, your hobby is collecting shiny new white things. in that case, your hobby/passion is not photography but consumerism. to claim otherwise is offensive to real photographers.

offensive to real photographers????

Jeez......don't be so deluded to add a remark such as that, to add weight to your post that you speak for all "real" photographers.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 14, 2012 16:24 |  #304

Arrogance is never a nice trait.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 14, 2012 16:51 as a reply to  @ L.J.G.'s post |  #305

Come on fellow, show us the dollars :lol::lol::lol:

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

shoenberg3
466 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 14, 2012 16:54 |  #306

fotoworx wrote in post #13897882 (external link)
offensive to real photographers????

Jeez......don't be so deluded to add a remark such as that, to add weight to your post that you speak for all "real" photographers.

You clearly didn't understand my post. What's more, you are adding words to my mouth.

Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> shoenberg3 | Redbubble (external link)

shoenberg3
466 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 14, 2012 16:55 |  #307

L.J.G. wrote in post #13897942 (external link)
Arrogance is never a nice trait.

This has nothing to do with arrogance.

Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> shoenberg3 | Redbubble (external link)

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Feb 14, 2012 21:59 |  #308

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13894820 (external link)
Wow SkyGod & fotoworx... you really think I can never be content? :(

It's not about "content", Wuzzi. It's more about the studio you talked about elsewhere.
"Hmm, I think an extra softbox would've helped in that last shoot" type thinking can never end. Though I expect you're one of the few who will know when she's got what she needs, to do what she wants.... :-)

...//...Neat on the heritage, SkyGod...//...Sounds like a neat job... :) You aren't ever getting a full-frame?

Thanks. I believe a good mix of blood is best!

And about FF, I'm seriously thinking that it makes more sense to aim for the Canon C300 derivative when there's a less stupidly-priced version.
Reason being, Sony are pointing the way....Canon will have to go along the same route, so as long as the body is 'like' a current dSLR, and can accept EF-lenses (and EF-S, too would be good!), why stick with a flappy-mirror system?
Maybe in 1~3 years, it'll be on the shelves?
And in the meantime, if I need another backup to my 7D/30D combo, I'll get another 7D....though I hope not to.

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13896939 (external link)
Well thank you very much for your spanking and attitude adjustment. I guess I should thank you for your brutal biting honesty.

Where's the title fairy when you need her?!?!?!!?!?

fotoworx wrote in post #13897858 (external link)
Hi Simon,

What I was meaning with the inclusion of the lounges, was that a lot of people justify (legitimise) the thought of making money back from photography because of the large outlay on gear.
It's like I could have bought a cheap 3 piece lounge, but because I opted for the full grain buttoned leather Chesterfield, I need to "recoup" some of that outlay back by charging people for sitting upon them.

If Canon or Nikon sold DSLR's with 3 good lenses and a flash for $35.00 lots of people would lose the mind set of trying to recoup on that $35.00 investment, but because you can spend $10,000 easily on the above gear, it tends to trigger in some a compulsion to "make money from my photography" syndrome.

Photography is a total hobby for me, it's what I do in my spare time to relax and unwind and be creative.
I can read books and magazines about photography, watch video's on photograhy, learn photography, enjoy the interaction on photography forums and take out my gear and shoot when ever I like in my spare bedroom "studio" and take my gear with me on day trips looking for things to shoot.

For the enjoyment that I derive from photography and all the related aspects of it at any time of the day or night, in fine or inclement weather $25,000+++ is cheap compared to other much more expensive hobbies that I'm involved in and have been involved in.

No worries. As I pointed out, you've said that photography is a hobby.
So, we're not the same there.
I love to enjoy photos "for fun", but those times are few and far between right now.
Hope to catch you in the threads somewhere!

Regards,
Simon :-)

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

shinyknights
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 15, 2012 03:42 |  #309

Winwin wrote in post #13896542 (external link)
I've earned a few hundred dollars...but couldn't be bothered by it. I don't care if I don't make a cent. I enjoy this hobby :) Looking back at some family pictures, I realized that later on, regardless of how much money I have, I couldn't take those same pictures again...

We have them up in a photo frame in our living room. Brings back so many memories everytime I gaze back at the pictures.

And I'm a student- 18 yrs old. All I ever do is work, study, sleep. I don't play any video games, watch TV, party actively unless invited to do so, etc... Taking photos is the only thing I do for fun :confused: ...Well I do read in my spare time and enjoy it, but this is funner :D Although I do think this is cutting into my time... I should really be studying harder to get into that Honors Computer Science and bumping up my average for Graduate School...

Although a while ago, I was promising myself I'd stop after my 5DII... of course that didn't happen. Then came the TS-E, ONA Union Street, and soon going to be a 50 1.2 or 16-35... I feel my photos haven't gotten much better despite all this spending, but I've definately been enjoying myself. But I feel guilty for being so young and having about 5000 in gear, although only the XSI, 55-250, and 100L were gifts- others all I worked for myself.

But Photography is only the beginning... I have 2 years left of this Bachelor's Degree... I enjoyed building computers back in the day... and I'm having trouble resisting the lure of nice cars... I can see where this is going once this schooling is over :lol:

You never listed anything about post-processing software!!!! Get Adobe Lightroom 3 now on BHPhotoVideo now for 69 dollars!! http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …=&O=productlist​&A=details (external link)

They will make your pictures more shiny :)

transcend
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 15, 2012 08:48 |  #310

shoenberg3 wrote in post #13896870 (external link)
Not quite. You can keep all your goodies and enjoy them (because they are indeed nice toys to play with) but just acknowledge that your gear is no longer holding you back (that happened probably around 5K dollars ago) and only your skill as a photographer is.

And also that photography is not about buying newest and whitest gear. That is consumerism, which is fine by itself (you guys keep the economy going!). But it is irritating when people confuse the two.

What's really irritating, is people who think they know what other people need.

I easily own $85 000+ in gear. I make quite a good living shooting photos all over the world every year. Does that mean i'm not a photographer now, just a consumerist?

http://www.fraserbritt​on.com (external link)

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,596 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 15, 2012 08:50 |  #311

transcend wrote in post #13901475 (external link)

I easily own $85 000+ in gear. I make quite a good living shooting photos all over the world every year. Does that mean i'm not a photographer now, just a consumerist?

bw!

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D III | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 85L 1.4 IS | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

shoenberg3
466 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 15, 2012 11:47 |  #312

transcend wrote in post #13901475 (external link)

Before making statements like that, please read my posts more carefully.

If you look at my posts earlier, you would have noticed that I was referring to amateurs specifically. And there ARE exceptions; for example, sports photographers would NEED to spend many thousands of dollars to not become hindered by their equipment.

In any case, you can be both photographer and consumerist. But I don't like seeing people who are mostly consumerists (obsessed about the L lenses and possessing mediocre, if not completely non-existent, portfolio -- describes the majority of POTN unfortunately) pretending to be legitimate photographers.

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,596 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 15, 2012 11:51 |  #313

shoenberg3 wrote in post #13902490 (external link)
Before making statements like that, please read my posts more carefully.

If you look at my posts earlier, you would have noticed that I was referring to amateurs specifically. And there ARE exceptions; for example, sports photographers would NEED to spend many thousands of dollars to not become hindered by their equipment.

In any case, you can be both photographer and consumerist. But I don't like seeing people who are mostly consumerists (obsessed about the L lenses and possessing mediocre, if not completely non-existent, portfolio -- describes the majority of POTN unfortunately) pretending to be legitimate photographers.

I think you need to spend more time out shooting and being a real photographer, and less time crying, errrr I mean posting on POTN these days. :rolleyes:

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D III | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 85L 1.4 IS | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

alexg212
56 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 15, 2012 12:00 |  #314

This is a really interesting thread... I have spent about $9,000 in the last couple years, but if you think about my other hobbies, it isn't that much... I bough an ATV in Feb 2010 for $9,500 and have used the camera equip waaay more. coupled with my obsession with buyng guitars and my love of Golf... the Cost/(unit time enjoying) in photography is way down.. :)

5D MKII/ 7D/ 100-400 L/ EF-S 10-22 / 100L f2.8 IS Macro / 70-200L f4 IS / Σ 30 f1.4 / 50 f1.8 / Tamron 18-270 / 430 EX II (x2) / Opteka fisheye/ Zoom 1n

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,596 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 15, 2012 12:05 |  #315

alexg212 wrote in post #13902554 (external link)
This is a really interesting thread... I have spent about $9,000 in the last couple years, but if you think about my other hobbies, it isn't that much... I bough an ATV in Feb 2010 for $9,500 and have used the camera equip waaay more. coupled with my obsession with buyng guitars and my love of Golf... the Cost/(unit time enjoying) in photography is way down.. :)

I completely agree, if you add up the cost of my other toys (boat, snowmobiles, vehicles) then this truly is a LOT cheaper.Ahh now I feel......a bit better.... LOL! :lol:

sponsored links

49,317 views & 0 likes for this thread
How much $ have you spend on your camera, lens, gears, accessories, etc...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.