Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 23:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much $ have you spend on your camera, lens, gears, accessories, etc...

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Feb 15, 2012 20:22 as a reply to  @ post 13904556 |  #331

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hey guys 'n' girls,

No more personal attacks or judgemental comments, please.

It appears that "shoenberg3" has left the building, but still, the to-and-fro I've seen is NOT what most POTNers expect. And not what the mods demand of us.

However, this type of thread pops up from time to time, and almost by definition (as it's about money!), some people can become very defensive/aggressive at others' responses.

I'm busy at the mo', but if any of you come across any more "nasty" arguments, please click the "report" button.

Cheers, and keep having fun!
Simon

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

sponsored links
x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 15, 2012 20:27 |  #332

Agrees,

I only want to see people show of their money; not their temper :cool:

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,780 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 15, 2012 20:34 |  #333

Nicksan3 wrote in post #13904543 (external link)
I do not think I spent a lot, but, only my State Farm agent knows for sure. It is all insured.

I think insurance is a very necessary evil for such small, portable and expensive items.

I have every single piece of gear itemised right down to filters and timers etc on my policy.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 15, 2012 20:36 |  #334

:oops:

I'm sorry - I guess I get kind of defensive when it is insinuated that it is a waste of money for me to get better equipment because my choice of subject and skill do not justify the investment. I should be a bit thicker-skinned (can I pull the I'm a girl and sometimes we get moody card here? - nah, I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve a bit too much no matter what).

My apologies to all for being upset by the comments and for my spanking rant... :(

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 15, 2012 20:37 |  #335

fotoworx wrote in post #13905303 (external link)
I think insurance is a very necessary evil for such small, portable and expensive items.

I have every single piece of gear itemised right down to filters and timers etc on my policy.

Yes Jim, I think I'm going to have to invest in the insurance here soon - maybe next month?

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,780 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 15, 2012 20:39 |  #336

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13905311 (external link)

I'm sorry - I guess I get kind of defensive when it is insinuated that it is a waste of money for me to get better equipment because my choice of subject

Hey at least your subject pays you in eggs!!!!!

See your a 'working' photographer now.....you've been paid for your photography, you can put PRO before your name now ;)

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,780 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 15, 2012 20:44 |  #337

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13905315 (external link)
Yes Jim, I think I'm going to have to invest in the insurance here soon - maybe next month?

If you add up everything that you have down to the smallest item, you can be surprised how much you have really spent. Throw in a couple of monitors, external storage, laptops, software etc

So have your gear covered in your house and when it's outside your house.

My wife and I stopped at nice spot once on a trip to get some Chinese takeaway, came back to the SUV to find glass all over the footpath, the back passenger window smashed in and my gear ripped off. Insurance paid out within 30 days.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

CaptB412
208 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 15, 2012 20:48 |  #338

Albeit a slight off-shoot of the original thread - knowing that our own homeowners or renter's policies may be inadequate, how many hobbyist have riders or special policies for their equipment.

5DS R | EOS-R | 5D Mk III | EOS-M5 | G.A.S. Addict | Many Lenses | Flashes |

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 15, 2012 21:12 |  #339

CaptB412 wrote in post #13905390 (external link)
Albeit a slight off-shoot of the original thread - knowing that our own homeowners or renter's policies may be inadequate, how many hobbyist have riders or special policies for their equipment.

~shrugs~ I guess maybe it depends on how easy it is to come up with the money for replacement - when I think about what I have in camera equipment (more than my vehicle is worth) insurance seems to immediately come to mind? :lol:

But we can return to the "how much did you spend?"

I did forget incidentals like the software, etc... hubby even insisted that his new computer was all about photo processing (that I can borrow it when he doesn't need it). I'm using that to lobby for my new external hard drive (make it easier to move things between the two computers)... ;-)a

You can call me Wuzzi

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 15, 2012 21:19 |  #340

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13892409 (external link)
Why does everyone make a big deal about their wives and their wives not being allowed to know what their camera equipment costs? Please tell me this is a joke...

It always baffles me to no end. I don't want to offend anyone, so I'll just say that I'm glad someone else thinks this way too.

More on-topic: In the ballpark of 3.5k I'd think (don't always care to know for sure, as long as I'm paying it off). It'll most likely balloon to about three times that this year or next. There's always other stuff to pay for first that put dents in the plans.

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 15, 2012 21:20 |  #341

Here in Queensland it is $367 a year for $10k coverage, that covers theft, loss, damage, everything you can think of. I have no idea what it is like in the States though.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 15, 2012 21:20 |  #342

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13905535 (external link)
~shrugs~ I guess maybe it depends on how easy it is to come up with the money for replacement - when I think about what I have in camera equipment (more than my vehicle is worth) insurance seems to immediately come to mind? :lol:

But we can return to the "how much did you spend?"

I did forget incidentals like the software, etc... hubby even insisted that his new computer was all about photo processing (that I can borrow it when he doesn't need it). I'm using that to lobby for my new external hard drive (make it easier to move things between the two computers)... ;-)a

You may want to lobby for a server instead by making an argument of time savings involved by being able to access everything immediately with both computers. :cool:

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 15, 2012 21:29 |  #343

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #13905581 (external link)
You may want to lobby for a server instead by making an argument of time savings involved by being able to access everything immediately with both computers. :cool:

I already have a wireless router and Windows 7 - file-sharing isn't an issue (as long as the computer you want to share with is turned on). Have debated running my new drive plugged into the new router we're getting this weekend (our four-year-old router doesn't handle streaming video well enough, looking at a two-channel 450x450 maybe?). Some come with USB that you can plug a hard drive into and run as a file server. Or I could get hubby to let me get a CPU, plug printer in, etc., and let everyone access my printer...

Thanks on the other comment. I know I am very lucky to be married to such a good guy, but I can't believe that other spouses are that difficult. My father managed to have a life that included his Harley and hunting trips, gun collections, etc. If you love each other you want the other to have whatever they can within your means. :)

You can call me Wuzzi

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Feb 15, 2012 21:51 |  #344

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13905311 (external link)
I'm sorry...//...My apologies to all for being upset by the comments and for my spanking rant... :(

Don't stress it, sweetie! But do try to not to react when a member "goes for your throat!"
They don't know you.
They've never met you.
So it can't be personal.
And in all likelihood, they have a classifiable personality disorder! ;)
Best ignored/reported.

fotoworx wrote in post #13905359 (external link)
...//...My wife and I stopped at nice spot once on a trip to get some Chinese takeaway, came back to the SUV to find glass all over the footpath, the back passenger window smashed in and my gear ripped off. Insurance paid out within 30 days.

So sorry to hear that, Jim. At least the insurance paid out.
Makes me even more happy to live here, in rural Japan, where (no joke!) every summer you can see cars outside convenience stores, doors unlocked, keys in the ignition, engine running (to keep the aircon working!), personal possessions on any/all the seats...and NOBODY steals a thing.

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

djrice69
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 15, 2012 21:55 |  #345

5d3 ,5d2(sold) 40D Gripped :D, Glass: Canon Primes: 50mm 1.4& 1.8 II(sold), 85 1.8(sold), 100mm 2.8 IS L. Zooms: EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, 24-70mm L, 70-200 II L IS 2.8. Lights: 2-AB800, 2-580exII

sponsored links

48,970 views & 0 likes for this thread
How much $ have you spend on your camera, lens, gears, accessories, etc...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.