Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 16:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Startup Website Photos - How Much to Charge?

abjam77
129 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 15, 2012 16:40 |  #1

I am a college student who does paid photography gigs on the side, and I've been hired by a local web startup to take 8 images of middle-aged and college aged people to be used as design elements in their website. They have asked me to find the models, conduct a test shoot to nail down the lighting and background, and then conduct the full shoot with all 8 people, all on a fairly tight deadline. I usually charge $50 an hour for event photography (including editing time), but I feel like I this is a shoot I could charge a lot more for. I've been researching licensing practice and recommended rates (from here: http://www.londonfreel​ance.org …sect=Online+use​+of+photos (external link)), and even if I charged a fraction of the recommended prices I would make a ton from licensing 8 images. I'm wondering how I should price my time and my licenses, given that they would be licensing 8 images, probably at high resolution for unlimited distribution and no time restriction. I feel like a full-time pro would charge upwards of $1000 for something like this, so my intuition is that anything below that would be okay. I can also bill for the time spent finding models, with will probably be 3-4 hours at least - but again my hourly fee seems sort of arbitrary. I want to charge an offensive amount - there are definitely more experienced photographers they could hire - but I don't want to short-change myself either. Any thoughts?

Portfolio (external link) : Blog (external link)
Canon 5D | Tamon 17-35 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Tamron 70-300 VC | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Canon 430EXII

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,546 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Feb 15, 2012 18:02 |  #2

Can't answer your question regarding fees but just wanted to point out that your client will need signed model release forms from all the models so make sure to add that to your list, as it is obviously better that you get them signed when shooting rather than expecting the client to sort it out later.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

abjam77
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 15, 2012 19:21 |  #3

Yeah I plan to get model releases from everyone.

Canon 5D | Tamon 17-35 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Tamron 70-300 VC | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Canon 430EXII

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 15, 2012 19:27 |  #4

Define start up. In your area, does that mean a newly formed firm with ten million or more raised now? If so, they just want speed, so charge whatever you want. And hurry up before they discover microstock sites and don't need you.

If it is a couple of people spending their own money, set a price and make sure they'll pay it before you do anything else.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

abjam77
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 15, 2012 19:50 |  #5

They have raised 1.75 million so they definitely have some cash. They also said they wanted "non-stockphotoy" photos, but they have yet to definite what exactly that means.

S.Horton
18,051 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 15, 2012 19:55 |  #6

They don't know. Propose something quickly. Take as much of their money as possible.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 16, 2012 10:54 |  #7

You could check to see what a stock site like Almay would charge for similar rights, but this is custom work to their requirements, so I'd expect to charge more.
Stock - ASMP Licensing Guide (external link)

Pricing Photography (external link)

Sticky: How much Do I Charge? One of the most often asked questions

fotoQuote Pro - Pricing Stock and Assignment Photography (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 16, 2012 12:12 |  #8

I have a few suggestions:

- Take care of the talent acquisition yourself. Coordinate it with the client, but you should be in charge of finding and hiring the talent yourself.
- The talent SHOULD be paid as this is a commercial gig. I would expect pay between $100 and $400 to be sufficient.
- You should mark this price up 10% to 20% and use that as your 'talent search' fee

That already makes this a $800 to $3200 job (Before your talent fee).

Licensing of these images won't be less than the model fee.

Here's the problem. They will probably cite that they can get stock images for around $25 to $50 per image. for 8 images, that puts the fee below 1 talent fee. Unfortunately, they are stuck with whatever talent and poses are available on the stock site, not exactly what they want.

If they want EXACTLY what they want, it will cost them. If they are pinching pennies, they can deal with a stock agency.

Your next conversation should specifically ask them where their budget is, including talent fees. If they mention a number to you without a comma, you should walk away from this.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

S.Horton
18,051 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 16, 2012 12:40 |  #9

^^ You're assuming that the people at the start-up know what they're doing.

I've met very few who do.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

abjam77
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 21, 2012 23:38 |  #10

I ended up charging $910 plus models fees, although the final invoice might come out to a bit more because I'm spending more time finding models than I thought I would. I probably could have changed a lot more but that is what I felt comfortable with at the time given my experience and skill level. Next time I'll tag on another $700 :P

S.Horton
18,051 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 22, 2012 05:40 |  #11

Kewl.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

sponsored links

3,679 views & 0 likes for this thread
Startup Website Photos - How Much to Charge?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.