Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 23:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark III Rumors

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 17, 2012 09:06 |  #3106

Drozz119 wrote in post #13914010 (external link)
40mp, 4k video, Raw video, 1080 @60fps and a 19pt AF and they'll sell twice as many cameras as the d800. I don't know why everyone is trying to turn the 5 series into something it isn't. It's obviously for weddings, portraits, landscapes, and especially video. I expect the biggest improvement in the video specs. They OWN the dslr video market..and know that's what made the 5d2 successful.

They can sell a million without coming close to the 1Dx specs.

Which leaves no real replacement for the 1Ds3. Anyone who used the 1Ds series is after megapixels, and won't tolerate inferior AF or weather sealing either. Without a full-featured 5D3, there's no upgrade path for the 1Ds3 except Nikon.

And good luck to Canon if they think they can then make a 1Ds with essentially the same specs as the D800 and sell it for $7k.

So, for Canon, the choices are:
a) Hi-res, full-featured 5D3, competing directly with Nikon, possibly losing a few 1Dx sales (not many, since people would want the 1Dx for frame rate, just as some people bought the 1D3 instead of the 1Ds3)
b) Hi-res, limited-feature 5D3 - lose the 1Ds shooters to Nikon, likely lose many of the 5D2 crowd as well (those who don't shoot video and want good AF and weather sealing in a hi-res body)

So, either they possibly lose a few 1Dx sales (but gain a lot more lens sales by preventing migration to Nikon) or they lose a large segment of their market to the D800. After all, not many pro photographers care about video - that's what videographers are for.

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 17, 2012 09:24 |  #3107

Shadowblade wrote in post #13914102 (external link)
Which leaves no real replacement for the 1Ds3.

You missed that all important "Yet" on the end there. I do believe that once the Olymics are done with this summer, Canon will see the light and think about a 1Ds4. Maybe a renaming exercise will be done to save face, but in effect thats what it will be.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 17, 2012 09:24 |  #3108

Shadowblade wrote in post #13913740 (external link)
Megapixels is just one thing the D800 has going for it. There's also the small matter of 51 AF points, f/8 AF capability, full weather sealing and dual card slots. Essentially, it's a 1Ds-type camera at a 5D price point.

If Canon want to compete, they need more than just megapixels, although that is a start.

All of the current 5DIII/X rumours point to a 61 point AF array. I hear that f8 is coming to the 1DX, so it'll probably be apart of the 5DIII/X too.
They don't really need any more MP. Nikon users last generation were claiming that 12mp was enough....now they say that everyone needs 36mp...lol. Very few photographers really need that much MP, both the 5DII and D700 were big sellers and feature distinction seems to be the flavour of the day.

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youÒ’re having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,695 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 17, 2012 09:25 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #3109

Which leaves no real replacement for the 1Ds3. Anyone who used the 1Ds series is after megapixels, and won't tolerate inferior AF or weather sealing either. Without a full-featured 5D3, there's no upgrade path for the 1Ds3 except Nikon.

Well, actually a heck of a lot of people will accept a high-res 24x36mm camera without 1-series AF and weather sealing.

Remember these are people who accepted medium format film cameras and are trying to avoid buying medium format digital cameras, all of which have comparatively lousy focusing and zero weather sealing--not to mention being hideously slow and terribly delicate.

If someone at Canon Inc said, "Let's go after the medium format market," all they have to do is pump up the resolution of the 5D (presuming they can keep other IQ factors equal), add other advances they've accumulated since the last edition (7D controls and autofocusing), and that would actually be enough. The 5D2 has already killed the Mamiya ZD. Compared to medium format cameras, the 5D is already a battle tank.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

bfleck51
400 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 17, 2012 09:58 |  #3110

Sounds to me like canon has merged the 1 series line into there new camera. So...what happends to the pro crop camera...as I see it the replacement for the 7d is going to have to fill thoese shoes..sports and bird shooters still want and need higher fps than either of the new bodys are going to offer. So the next big question is whats the next crop body going to offer?

http://www.rivervalley​poodles.com/ (external link)
5D/7D/MKlll/D200

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 17, 2012 10:16 |  #3111

RDKirk wrote in post #13914228 (external link)
Well, actually a heck of a lot of people will accept a high-res 24x36mm camera without 1-series AF and weather sealing.

Remember these are people who accepted medium format film cameras and are trying to avoid buying medium format digital cameras, all of which have comparatively lousy focusing and zero weather sealing--not to mention being hideously slow and terribly delicate.

If someone at Canon Inc said, "Let's go after the medium format market," all they have to do is pump up the resolution of the 5D (presuming they can keep other IQ factors equal), add other advances they've accumulated since the last edition (7D controls and autofocusing), and that would actually be enough. The 5D2 has already killed the Mamiya ZD. Compared to medium format cameras, the 5D is already a battle tank.

Yes, some people may accept it. But in no way is it a competitive product.

Nikon is offering 36MP, 51 AF points, f/8 focusing, full weather sealing and dual card slots for $3k.

If Canon offered 36MP, 19 AF points, f/5.6 focusing and partial weather sealing for the same price, who do you think's offering the better deal? If you didn't already have a glass collection you didn't want to sell, you'd choose Nikon for sure.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,921 posts
Gallery: 1735 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 17, 2012 10:34 |  #3112

Shadowblade wrote in post #13914506 (external link)
Yes, some people may accept it. But in no way is it a competitive product.

Nikon is offering 36MP, 51 AF points, f/8 focusing, full weather sealing and dual card slots for $3k.

If Canon offered 36MP, 19 AF points, f/5.6 focusing and partial weather sealing for the same price, who do you think's offering the better deal? If you didn't already have a glass collection you didn't want to sell, you'd choose Nikon for sure.

Probably. But if you didn't already have a glass collection from one camp or the other... it is unlikely you're at the position to drop $3,000 for a camera body and another guaranteed $1,000-unlimited for a full lens line-up.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that most people buying a D700/D800 or 5D2/5D3 (or whatever it'll be called) aren't beginners, aren't already tied into one manufacturer. And most are less willing to switch from what they're familiar with (ergonomics, menus, way the images "look and handle").

In essence, unless you're willing to swap from one system to the next for the latest and greatest... you're pretty much just stuck. Fortunately, if one's being doing "okay" with the tool they're currently using... one can assume they will remain doing just as well even if the competitor's newest camera has more features.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 17, 2012 10:37 |  #3113
bannedPermanent ban

^^^
Plenty of people with crop camera's who also have allot of crop lenses or not that many FF lenses, will likely make the switch though, or at least that's my story.

Wedding photography (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,921 posts
Gallery: 1735 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 17, 2012 10:42 |  #3114

RhysPhotograph.Me wrote in post #13914647 (external link)
^^^
Plenty of people with crop camera's who also have allot of crop lenses or not that many FF lenses, will likely make the switch though, or at least that's my story.

I truly hope that they make the switch. There's no greater message sent to a manufacturer than to have the consumer buy a competitor's product.

IMO, D800 (on paper) will beat the unannounced specs of whatever Canon has in store as replacement for the 5D2. I like that Nikon is still pushing (even though I do find some irony with the comment they posted about megapixel war being over and that 12mp was what they like to stay at for quality, yadda yadda...).

Now if only we can have some more official leaks from Canon. They should just do away with NDAs. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 17, 2012 12:10 |  #3115

I'll be happy to replace my 5D with a D800E and buy whatever lenses I feel it needs, at the same time keeping my 7D with the appropriate lenses. The 5D and 7D essentially use different lenses anyway. I'm not especially bound by my existing equipment.

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 17, 2012 13:44 |  #3116
bannedPermanent ban

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #13914223 (external link)
... Nikon users last generation were claiming that 12mp was enough....now they say that everyone needs 36mp...lol.

Does anyone remember when Nikon users claimed APS-C was enough .... before they had Full Frame ... lol.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 17, 2012 14:12 |  #3117

Nikon changes their story on sensors more often than Harold Camping changes his date for the end of the world.

Tom

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 17, 2012 15:00 |  #3118
bannedPermanent ban

EL_PIC wrote in post #13915661 (external link)
Does anyone remember when Nikon users claimed APS-C was enough .... before they had Full Frame ... lol.

I think most people shooting with crops seem to say the same thing, whether Canon or Nikon shooters...

Wedding photography (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 17, 2012 15:03 |  #3119

EL_PIC wrote in post #13915661 (external link)

Those few who did did not define the entire Nikon useage base. As with many things being discussed here lately, don't let a small minority dictate the general consensus. Nikon users by and large have always wanted access to full frame cameras.

The internet has a way of turning a few voices into a cacophony.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 17, 2012 15:49 |  #3120

I am not sure this is true. I used to be a Nikon shooter. But when Nikon declared that they would never implement a FF sensor in any of the DSLRs I jumped ship the next day and bought a 5D.
I do believe that many Nikon users bought the Nikon cool-aid and blasted that message all over the web - we don't need no stinking FF cameras.

I agree though that many didn't have a choice to switch - too much invested into expensive Nikon glass.

All I can say is that I switched and I am glad I did. I am perfectly happy with the current Canon offerings - even the much cursed 5DII :-)

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #13916060 (external link)
Those few who did did not define the entire Nikon useage base. As with many things being discussed here lately, don't let a small minority dictate the general consensus. Nikon users by and large have always wanted access to full frame cameras.

The internet has a way of turning a few voices into a cacophony.

sponsored links

747,929 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark III Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.