Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 13:06
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Is a light meter essential in a studio setup?"
Essential, shoudn't take a picture without one.
24.7%
Useful, use one most of the time.
48.7%
Have one, hardly use it.
6%
Don't use them, prefer to chimp.
12.7%
Hate them, attack them on sight.
0.7%
Whats a light meter?
7.3%

150 voters, 150 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is a light meter essential in a studio setup?

this thread is locked
z-monster
95 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 17, 2012 17:05 |  #91

Use a light meter? What rubbish nonsense is this?

The human eye is a perfect light meter.

My feedback

sponsored links
TaintedTesticle
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 17, 2012 17:08 |  #92
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
windpig
Chopped liver
15,358 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 17, 2012 17:23 |  #93

TaintedTesticle wrote in post #13916645 (external link)
When you've become one with the camera, anything is possible.

I understand the 5DIII is going to have a hole for an incense stick.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Digital_zen
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 17, 2012 17:41 |  #94

Measuring incident light levels works to tell you the ratio between one light source and another, BUT as has been pointed out, our subjects are not (always) a grey card. Any one subject or scene will have areas of higher and lower reflectance.
How is measuring the actual light reflected from a subjects head and chin not making sense? I don't even do that, I measure ambient light set my exposure where I want it, then measure flash exposure. All in camera.

You will find no more zen at the top of a mountain, than the zen that you bring there with you.

~zen proverb~

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,856 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Feb 17, 2012 17:46 |  #95

Digital_zen wrote in post #13916802 (external link)
Measuring incident light levels works to tell you the ratio between one light source and another, BUT as has been pointed out, our subjects are not (always) a grey card. Any one subject or scene will have areas of higher and lower reflectance.
How is measuring the actual light reflected from a subjects head and chin not making sense? I don't even do that, I measure ambient light set my exposure where I want it, then measure flash exposure. All in camera.

In most studio situations the ambient is irrelevant (the ambient lights should be turned off so you can see what the modeling lamps are doing)and all the studio lights should be controlled by metering and setting the strobes and their ratios which are manual by the way ;)

JimAndersson
612 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 17, 2012 18:26 |  #96

Titus213 wrote in post #13914106 (external link)
If you are using the histogram to determine proper exposure, and the histogram is based on camera presets, perhaps you want your camera set to reflect (no pun intended) the lighting you actually have.

Yes. Hence having the histogram showing the color channels as the sensor registers them (universal white balance) and shooting to the right (ETTR).

sigma pi wrote in post #13914727 (external link)
It sounds like you have a lot more time on your hands than I do.

You keep your lighting the same the whole time I take it?

I'm a hobbyist and have all the time I want. I actually don't do much studio photography at all.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 17, 2012 18:33 |  #97

Digital_zen wrote in post #13916802 (external link)

Seems like there is some confusion of incident, reflective, ambient and strobe.
Incident is not measuring reflective light so therefor 18% grey is kind of a meaningless criteria.

Digital_zen
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 17, 2012 18:45 |  #98

What I was saying was, if you measure the incident (light falling on your subject) it doesn't tell you anything about what that light is going to do once it actually reflects (light bouncing off subject) and to what degree it will be reduced from the incident level (due to the fact that most of our subjects are not grey cards). I hope this clears things up.

You will find no more zen at the top of a mountain, than the zen that you bring there with you.

~zen proverb~

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 17, 2012 18:51 |  #99

Digital_zen wrote in post #13917077 (external link)
What I was saying was, if you measure the incident (light falling on your subject) it doesn't tell you anything about what that light is going to do once it actually reflects (light bouncing off subject) and to what degree it will be reduced from the incident level (due to the fact that most of our subjects are not grey cards). I hope this clears things up.

And with that, I'm outa here.....

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 17, 2012 18:52 |  #100

That's what eyes are for, but cameras can't see, they only do as they are told. Meters in-camera help the adjust the reflective light, but a hand held meter along with intelligent thinking and seeing just do it more accurately.

Sure, you can move your camera around and take different readings, but it sure is easier with an external meter.

And as to the difference you mentioned between film and digital, my meter has setting for either. Also, I use mine in incident mode, that I do not think you can find on any camera.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 17, 2012 18:59 |  #101

it doesn't tell you anything about what that light is going to do once it actually reflects (light bouncing off subject) and to what degree it will be reduced from the incident level (due to the fact that most of our subjects are not grey cards). I hope this clears things up.

This sounds so irrelevant! What degree it reflects??? That is what incident light doesn't really care about since it is not being fooled by lesser or higher levels of reflective light.

Digital_zen
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 17, 2012 19:48 |  #102

RandyMN wrote in post #13917143 (external link)
This sounds so irrelevant! What degree it reflects??? That is what incident light doesn't really care about since it is not being fooled by lesser or higher levels of reflective light.

Exactly. The film or sensor does not take a picture of incident light, but reflected light. Measuring reflected light is more accurate as to what the image recording medium will record.

~zen proverb~

Digital_zen
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 17, 2012 19:54 |  #103

RandyMN wrote in post #13917110 (external link)
That's what eyes are for, but cameras can't see, they only do as they are told. Meters in-camera help the adjust the reflective light, but a hand held meter along with intelligent thinking and seeing just do it more accurately.

Sure, you can move your camera around and take different readings, but it sure is easier with an external meter.

And as to the difference you mentioned between film and digital, my meter has setting for either. Also, I use mine in incident mode, that I do not think you can find on any camera.

Using one's eyes are what I have been talking about. I don't see how its any easier to use two devices to do a job that can be done by one. How can your meter have two settings, one for film one for digital, when digital two different cameras don't even have a standard ISO equivalent?
I think it feels more accurate to use a handheld,...but like I said originally, today, aside from huge complex setups, are mostly for show.
All this being said I do plan on getting a handheld meter, you know, for show.
What a lively discussion! I know that no one likes to be called out for doing things that are redundant just to further mystify our craft, and make it seem as if what we do is so complex that no one else can do it, this hopefully makes it easier for those writing the checks to add that extra zero...

~zen proverb~

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,856 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Feb 17, 2012 19:55 |  #104

Digital_zen wrote in post #13917300 (external link)
Exactly. The film or sensor does not take a picture of incident light, but reflected light. Measuring reflected light is more accurate as to what the image recording medium will record.

Only if the object reflecting the light is 18% gray because thats the way the meter in your camera sees everything no matter what the reflectance. ;)

Then throw in the different reflectance of different colors so those things can all fool the meter.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 17, 2012 19:55 |  #105

Digital_zen wrote in post #13917300 (external link)

Reflective light is only a reflection of the source (INCIDENT), Therefore I'd say incident is more accurate since reflective errors are omitted.

Sensors use light, period! Incident or reflective are just our ways of measuring it. Camera meters as well as any reflective meter gets fooled by high and low reflective values...

Sensors don't really care how you metered your light, they are just going to respond to the amount of light you let in. This brings me back to my original point of which method of metering is more accurate.

sponsored links

11,369 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is a light meter essential in a studio setup?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.