Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Feb 2012 (Saturday) 14:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bummer... brand new 70-300VC Err01

Amamba
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 18, 2012 14:40 |  #1

OK, so here's the bummer.

I did battery focus tests on the brand new Tamron 70-300 VC that I literally received a couple hours ago. Everything was well. Mostly landscape orientation, but a few in portrait.

Then, after probably a few dozen different test shots, I take one in a portrait orientation and get Err 01 "clean lens contacts" message. After which it's Err1 galore. Moreover, it's pretty weird - I can take shots in Landscape, Inverted portrait (shutter button on the grip facing downwards), just not in Portrait (shutter button on the grip facing up).

Take the lens out, clean contacts, works. Take it out again, reinsert, get Err1. Take it out, reinsert, works.

I assume the lens needs to be returned / exchanged ? Or is there an easy / known explanation or fix for this ?

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

sponsored links
KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 18, 2012 14:53 |  #2

Sounds like it definitely needs to be exchanged, a new lens should NOT be doing this

Probubly something loose and when you orient it that way its coming disconnected, thus giving off Err01

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Amamba
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 18, 2012 15:04 |  #3

Well, I got hold of the store. According to them it's a common problem with these lenses in Nikon mount but rather uncommon in Canon; there's an easy fix that may work and it's tightening the screws around lens mount, if this doesn't solve the issue they will take it back. I will report on the success tomorrow.

crofter
393 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 18, 2012 15:09 |  #4

Sorry about your problems, I've only ever used mine in landscape orientation but I just tried a few shots in portrait orientation with no problems, I hope you get it sorted.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 18, 2012 18:37 |  #5

I'm with crofter. No problems ever with mine so hope you get it resolved.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

dbricks
610 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2012 19:03 |  #6

Happened with my Tamron 70-200. It wasn't new enough to be exchanged, but it was still under warranty and Tamron fixed the problem. Good luck. Hope it gets taken care of quickly.

Sony A7III | Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 150-600c + MC-11 adapter
http://davidbricknerph​otography.com (external link)

Amamba
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 18, 2012 20:15 |  #7

So far Photo Craft service was top notch, I hope they can find a replacement. I have a b'day party to shoot in a week, and was relying on having the tele to snap kids' faces from a distance without them acting for the camera. My 85 may not be long enough, it's a huge indoor arena type place.

I like this lens IQ. My family went to the movies so I went in a park and found a couple of birds to shoot. The first image is unprocessed and gives an idea of distance involved. This is straight out of camera, with no PP whatsoever (only reduced for posting).
The second one is processed with some USM and brightness / contrast adjustment.

Even though it looks as if the bird was close, it was atop of a tall tree. Shot at 300mm fully extended, 1/400 f/6.3 ISO 250.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

crofter
393 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 19, 2012 02:07 |  #8

dbricks mentioned the warranty, be sure to register your lens on the Tamron website when you get sorted within 3 months to get your 5 year warranty.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

nasua
250 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 19, 2012 22:58 |  #9

I'm seriously considering a 70-300 VC and am sorry to hear about the OP's problem. Hope it's resolved quickly. The possible "quick fix" (tightening the lens mount screws) mentioned up topic is of some concern to me. Are (were) they not properly tightened to spec on some samples when they came off the production line, or are the screws loosening due to vibration (or use) and how will this affect long term reliability? I realize Tamron has warranty that's much longer than most, but a lens in the shop, no matter how great, isn't very useful.

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 20, 2012 00:19 |  #10

I have had mine for over a year now and have not had a single problem with it. If this was a problem with this lens it would have been discussed all over the forums. Every lens model from every lens manufacture have isolated problems.

6D, 5D, 7Dii, Eos R and too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 20, 2012 00:53 as a reply to  @ GregoryF's post |  #11

Unless the mount is seriously loose then tightening the mount screws seems like a bandaid. It would mean that the lens contacts are barely touching the camera contacts, The ones in the camera are spring loaded and designed to be compressed as the lens is mounted. I wouldn't be happy if tightening the mount screws fixed the problem. YMMV

Richard
Gear

Amamba
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 20, 2012 08:54 |  #12

The screws were tight so this was not a problem.

It's also very strange that this only happen when the lens is in a "proper" Portrait orientation (i.e. the AF and VC switches face the ground). In any other orientation - Landscape, inverted Portrait (shutter button on the bottom but AF / VC switches facing up), even upside down it works fine. To me, it almost looks like something is working itself loose in this particular position.

Waiting on PhotoCraft to let me know if they can get a replacement within a week. I would still like to give Tammy a chance, even though it's one huge and heavy beast compared to 55-250, I think there's some improvement in IQ and I would like to be able to exploit it.

Added: looks like they don't have another one.. so it's going back for a refund. I am not sure what to do next - the whole ordeal made me wary of this particular lens, so I may end up just getting another 55-250.

sponsored links

2,015 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bummer... brand new 70-300VC Err01
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.