Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 18 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 13:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Official SX100, SX110 and SX120 IS Thread. Post Your Photos

babya
80 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 26, 2011 17:03 |  #16

Boats at a marina:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (external link)

Camera:SX110 IS

Canon cameras: PowerShot S95, SX20 IS, EOS 1100D (T3) & 300D.

sponsored links
tnicoson
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2010

May 02, 2011 09:32 |  #17

Have had my SX120-IS for almost a year now. Got it at Walmart when they brought the price down just before the SX130-IS came out. Just did my first serious work with it two weeks ago at a family reunion shoot. My main setup was an S5-IS with an old 380EX flash on a recovered Nikon side-by-side bracket. Used the SX120 for the more "candid" shots and just fell in love with it. Can not believe how versatile it is. The only problem I noted was the weak flash. I prefer to lock the ISO at 200 to keep the graininess to a minimum, but then flash exposure suffers on the more distant shots. Am considering the aux flash unit. I chose both the S5 and the SX120 for their use of AA batteries. As much as possible, I use NiMH rechargeables, but always keep a handful of disposals just in case. I dearly love my Digital Rebel and my old Power Shot G1, but when their BP12's run down, you are out of business for several hours while they recharge. Sorry ! It was a paid shoot, they were not my family, and I didn't get any releases, so can not safely post anything here. Will try to come up with something interesting and postable over the next few weeks.

Hey Mike

Any thoughts about adding the SX130-IS to this thread ? I was going to give my SX120 to my sis and get a new SX130 for myself until I saw the 130 has a max f# of 3.6 compared to the 120's 2.8, so decided to stay with the 120. That helps not only in lower light situations, but also gives a little more control over depth of field.

canon4652009
62 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 05, 2011 11:48 as a reply to  @ babya's post |  #18

these are a fantastic little camera, I love mine (SX120IS) so much so that I have just bought another one...BRAND NEW for £70 including postage :cool:

the new one sits in my camera bag alongside my EOS, the other one now goes to work with my otherhalf everyday (she works with horses)

notsoanonymousmichelle
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 18, 2011 10:10 |  #19

How do you get those close-ups like the bumble bee and leaf...flash or not and what settings?

tnicoson
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 19, 2011 16:03 |  #20

Michelle

For those extreme close ups, use the "Macro" function. See page 67 of your manual and note the comments about a tripod and flash. Whether or not you use flash depends on the lighting conditions, but due to the closeness, it may be necessary to diffuse the flash in some way to prevent burn-in.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

Simplyphotos
56 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 14, 2011 06:07 |  #21

I still love my SX110 for my pick up and go camera, here's a couple of nice ski shots from last season (since we're almost there again). I also have some nice night shots done with my SX110 I'll have to dig out, as I found taken with the correct exposures and tripod, i could get nice low light shots with it also. Great macro camera. I also have several photos for sale on Istock, taken with this camera and was orginally accepted with photos from my SX110. It is very rare to get point and shoot photos accepted on a stock site as the quality has to be so high. Love my SX110.

IMAGE: http://parkersspace.com/images/Picturehost/Castle_Mountain_Powder_full.JPG

Click the small photo for a larger size link as I don't have a 1024 size right now, I'm linking to existing sizes on my own web site.

IMAGE: http://parkersspace.com/images/Ronnie_06.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://parkersspace.co​m/images/Ronnie_7.jpg  (external link)

tom_786
29 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 19, 2012 13:50 as a reply to  @ Simplyphotos's post |  #22

I shot these with a Canon SX120IS a couple years ago on a kayak trip to Seymour Inlet on BC's mid-coast.
I liked the SX120IS but am upgrading to a 550D (probably).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 400D, 18-55 kit lens

tom_786
29 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 19, 2012 13:51 as a reply to  @ tom_786's post |  #23

More of the kayak trip:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

tom_786
29 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 19, 2012 13:52 as a reply to  @ tom_786's post |  #24

... a couple more:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

tom_786
29 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 19, 2012 13:53 as a reply to  @ tom_786's post |  #25

... and a final one:

HOSTED PHOTO

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,221 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 20, 2012 01:20 as a reply to  @ tom_786's post |  #26

looks like you gave it a great workout - nice series - great slug macro!

I'm on my 3rd dslr and my sx110 comes along instead sometimes when I don't feel like lugging 6 lbs of gear on a walk.

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Pugwash
225 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 20, 2012 07:06 as a reply to  @ Immaculens's post |  #27

My main camera is a 60D (just an amateur). With this I have used an S3IS with CHDK for a few years as a backup. It was handy to slip into a rucksack when out walking or gardening. I have recently updated the backup by buying a refurbished SX130IS from the Canon refurb site on fleabay at just over £60.

I have loaded it with the relevant CHDK and set it up to process in-camera DNGs from the RAW data. So far I'm quite impressed with it. More compact than the S3IS it slips into a pocket quite easily and, from initial tests, gives good results on stills and 720HD video. I live quite close to a heritage steam railway so the video side of things will come in useful. At the price it represents extremely good value for money. As a wearer of glasses the only thing I miss is an adjustable viewfinder as the S3IS had. I guess I will get used to holding the camera out at length and removing my glasses so that I can focus on the LCD screen.

Here's one of my village church. EXIF details should be intact. Obviously the DNG has been processed into a 'web-friendly' jpg.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i168.photobucke​t.com …ugwash508/CRW_0​104tlr.jpg (external link)

Pugwash
225 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 20, 2012 07:13 as a reply to  @ Pugwash's post |  #28

....and here's one from the heritage railway. Not the best shot I've ever taken but I was still getting used to the camera at this stage.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i168.photobucke​t.com …/u176/Pugwash50​8/0002.jpg (external link)

tom_786
29 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 02, 2012 15:16 |  #29

NIce train shot, Pug.
Steam trains are always good camera fodder.
I wish we had them here.

Pugwash
225 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 02, 2012 16:34 as a reply to  @ tom_786's post |  #30

Thanks Tom. The more I use this little camera the more I get to like it so I'll see if I can get some better train shots. You know - the ones with lots of steam and smoke - not forgetting that the 60D is the one I would normally use for planned outings!!

sponsored links

25,980 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Official SX100, SX110 and SX120 IS Thread. Post Your Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.