Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 07:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Shutter Remote - Does it refocus?

equiworks
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 21, 2012 07:04 |  #1

Hi guys,

Just wondering if a wireless remote shutter will refocus before it triggers the shutter? I'm wanting to take some self portriats with my dogs, but sometimes they move at the worst times, and it would be great to be able to focus before the shot is taken.....

Probably a silly question, but I'm new to this :)

5D Mark iii / Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii USM / Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 / Canon 135mm f/2

sponsored links
Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 21, 2012 07:36 |  #2

After you press the button if the camera is in autofocus mode, sure it focuses first than take the shot.

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Trugga
654 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 21, 2012 07:39 |  #3

I have a cheap wireless shutter release (Shoot) which does allow refocussing (push the button down half-way, like you would the trigger on the camera).

Of course, you have to have Autofocus on the lens switched on.

Lawrence

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 21, 2012 08:19 |  #4

If you haven't bought it yet, don't. Get something off-brand. The canon remotes are a rip off. And yes, they should all allow refocus.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 21, 2012 08:29 |  #5

Sirrith wrote in post #13935102 (external link)
If you haven't bought it yet, don't. Get something off-brand. The canon remotes are a rip off. And yes, they should all allow refocus.

No, the Canon remotes are quality. The cheapo brands are junk.

Gear List

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 21, 2012 08:35 |  #6

Numenorean wrote in post #13935136 (external link)

Define junk.

They work exactly the same, they cost a fraction of the price.

Why spend the extra? Well, if you're a fanboy then ok, granted, get the Canon. For anyone else, off-brand is fine.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 21, 2012 08:53 |  #7

Sirrith wrote in post #13935102 (external link)

Fully agree. I own a canon wired remote and have used a couple off brand remotes as well. Aside from there physical shape all are the same. A hunk of plastic with a shutter button, shutter lock, and cord. The only different is the canon one is over priced.

Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 21, 2012 08:57 |  #8

I wanna ask a question. I have RC6 and for a wireless remote it works well for me. But i wanna take continuous shooting, will this work for me?

http://www.amazon.com …ef=oh_o00_s00_i​00_details (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 21, 2012 09:26 |  #9

Numenorean wrote in post #13935136 (external link)

Bull. I paid $5 for a wired one and $44 for a wireless (Vello) and both work perfectly. I've seen wireless for as low as $25, but haven't tried one. I'll pay the price for Canon glass, but not for something as simple as an RF remote release.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 21, 2012 09:51 |  #10

Robinson Crusoe wrote in post #13935295 (external link)
I wanna ask a question. I have RC6 and for a wireless remote it works well for me. But i wanna take continuous shooting, will this work for me?

What do you mean by continuous shooting? If you're talking about time lapse type work then no that one will not work. You need a timed remote

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 21, 2012 09:53 |  #11

Robinson Crusoe wrote in post #13935295 (external link)

If you mean "burst mode" then yes, just hold the button down after setting the appropriate mode in camera. If you mean interval shooting, no, you need an intervalometer for that.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 21, 2012 09:55 |  #12

Sirrith wrote in post #13935168 (external link)
Define junk.

They work exactly the same, they cost a fraction of the price.

Why spend the extra? Well, if you're a fanboy then ok, granted, get the Canon. For anyone else, off-brand is fine.

They do not work exactly the same. The connectors that go into the camera are cheap crap, don't have metal locking ring thing and just don't fit as nice as the Canon. They feel like cheap junk, therefore they are cheap junk.

I've had my Canon remote release since the 20D came out and it is still working great.

Gear List

Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 21, 2012 10:00 |  #13

Burst mode, thanks for the answers. In fact i've already ordered it :) As the discussion between original and third party goes here, my vote is for the third party, if it doesn't work 4$ is worth risking :)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 21, 2012 10:06 |  #14

Numenorean wrote in post #13935768 (external link)
They do not work exactly the same.

you mean the canon has some magic pixie dust that makes a button work differently?

The connectors that go into the camera are cheap crap

What makes you think the canon isn't, or in any case, what is your proof that off-brand are?

don't have metal locking ring thing

I have no idea what this is because rebels don't have it.

and just don't fit as nice as the Canon.

Nonsense. I have 2 off-brand remotes, they fit as tight and snug as I would ever want.

They feel like cheap junk, therefore they are cheap junk.

Canon's 50 1.4 feels like cheap junk. Is it therefore cheap junk?

Besides, I've used a canon remote release before (a friend's), it feels pretty much the same as mine and makes me even happier with my purchase.

I've had my Canon remote release since the 20D came out and it is still working great.

I have had my 3rd party remote release since 2010, thrown it around, dropped it, and it still looks brand spanking new nevermind working great as well.

How exactly are you coming to the conclusion that all off-brand remotes are junk without having used all of them?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

Jethro790
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 21, 2012 10:34 |  #15

I do a lot of time lapse and stacked images shoots, so I am well versed in the remote timer world. The only advantage to buying the Canon is if your camera has an E3 connector. The Rebels do not have an E3, so my experience does not apply there. The Canon E3 connector is much better than any of the off brands I tried. I went through 2 of the Promaster clones, both failed at the connector. And FWIW, the Promaster timer control is not cheap either.

When you spend an entire week working on getting a single sequence, saving $40 on an off brand is not worth it.

If you must know...

sponsored links

2,693 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Shutter Remote - Does it refocus?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.