Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have the listing rules in the "sell" section changed?

sweetpea44
289 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 18, 2012 04:55 |  #31

Joe.Kelley wrote in post #13905672 (external link)
it would be nice if locked threads were moved to a sold list then all open threads would be for sale and easier for buyers to see what is available and still be able to see what prices things went for on the other list. with that system no need to relist

+1 Good idea.

My Blog (external link) My Flickr (external link)
T3i // Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM // Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC // Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS // Canon 50mm 1.8 II // 430ex :cool:

sponsored links
duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 20, 2012 15:48 |  #32

bigcountry wrote in post #13898343 (external link)
I also think there are some people on these forums who couldn't take a photo to save their life (and i wonder if they even care about being able to), but they are here none the less, so they take it upon themselves to police others, and they report every violation they see.

I don't go looking for mutiple posts, but I have no issue at all reporting someone that is flooding the forum with the same ads. That is part of why your stuff only makes the front page for a few hours.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

JHaegs
363 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 21, 2012 12:52 |  #33

Joe.Kelley wrote in post #13905672 (external link)
it would be nice if locked threads were moved to a sold list then all open threads would be for sale and easier for buyers to see what is available and still be able to see what prices things went for on the other list. with that system no need to relist

+2
I would love to see this! I hate searching for items and getting pages of sold/locked threads, and it would keep the items for sale on the first page longer. Now if only people would lock the dang threads when they should! :(

Canon 50D | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Gear/Feedback/WTB/For Sale

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 21, 2012 22:58 |  #34

hfgarris wrote in post #13909114 (external link)
Or, someone posts "I will take it" in the thread ... then PMs you with a low-ball offer. The post effectively shuts off all interest from other possible buyers.

If people set up their PM account to email them immediately, there is no need for the endless "YGPM" posts for buyers who simply wish to haggle over the price. The seller will be notified whenever you submit a PM to them, no need to additionally announce it in the thread. If you reach an agreement, then post a message in the thread.

-howard

I hate that stuff. When I was just buying on here I never realized how annoying that was but then on my sale posts, it's darn near every time. Any "popular" item is almost always going to generate a number of PMs and replies before falling off the front page... and all the PMs will usually be ridiculously low offers. The typical format seems to be " I found some obscure ad where someone is selling their beat-up camera for $200, so your mint condition one is obviously priced way too high at $400. Because of that, I'll take yours for $150, let me know your paypal address immediately and I'll send it" /sarcasm

Once the post has been up longer, there aren't as many replies but those who do reply days later are usually serious buyers who found the post in a search instead of the low-balling trollers who stay on the front page.

It gets frustrating at times but as long as I don't get discouraged and leave the ads up, I've had a number of sales happen on 2-3 week old posts though...

Gear

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 21, 2012 23:23 |  #35

Lowballer are part of the package on these boards. You will have one who only buys and looks for people desperate or dumb enough to accept a lowball offer and then another who resells the equipment at 95% of retail. Then you have those who load up at the Canon store on refurbs when they have specials and then sell the items later without noting the fact that they are refurbs. No wonder some of them don't like taking PayPal.

Flickr (external link)

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 22, 2012 02:22 as a reply to  @ K6AZ's post |  #36

I post in For Sale threads with "I'll take it." when I am replying with a PM to purchase the item AT the sellers price. I post a "PM sent" message in a FS thread when the seller has a OBO or uncertain set price and I want to make a reasonable offer. I also post "PM sent" in threads when I want to "mark" the thread - so that it appears in my User CP under Subscribed Threads for the purpose of feedback later.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 22, 2012 02:53 |  #37

Hillbille wrote in post #13941805 (external link)
I post in For Sale threads with "I'll take it." when I am replying with a PM to purchase the item AT the sellers price. I post a "PM sent" message in a FS thread when the seller has a OBO or uncertain set price and I want to make a reasonable offer. I also post "PM sent" in threads when I want to "mark" the thread - so that it appears in my User CP under Subscribed Threads for the purpose of feedback later.

Hillbille

Great way to do business!

Bryan

My Gear List

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 22, 2012 10:46 |  #38

Hillbille wrote in post #13941805 (external link)

Hillbille

just a reminder: :)

If you look under the "Thread Tools" pull-down list, you can simply select "Subscribe to this thread" without the need to actually post something in the thread.

Activity in that thread will then appear in the list when you select the "User CP" heading.

Then the seller doesn't have to keep posting "all PMs replied to" to let other buyers know that a sale isn't pending.

-howard

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 22, 2012 12:12 |  #39

hfgarris wrote in post #13943544 (external link)

If you look under the "Thread Tools" pull-down list, you can simply select "Subscribe to this thread" without the need to actually post something in the thread.

Activity in that thread will then appear in the list when you select the "User CP" heading.

Then the seller doesn't have to keep posting "all PMs replied to" to let other buyers know that a sale isn't pending.

-howard

I assume that an item is for sale until it is closed or marked sold. I have purchased many items after 4 or 5 folks have said "PM sent" or "I will take it", so don't assume anything is sold unless told by the seller.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 22, 2012 13:11 |  #40

Best is to send e-mail or PM and find out. I don't know what "PM sent" or "I'll take it" does? usually people who do not send you a PM or e-mail do not buy anything.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 22, 2012 13:15 |  #41

hfgarris wrote in post #13943544 (external link)

-howard

Yes, I know about subscribing to threads. LOL!! This (POTN) is only 1 of about 8 very active forums I belong to and post to regularly. Most all forums are similar. Features and options are usually pretty close in the higher end forums because the owners use higher end software or hire programmers to mod their software to add features found at other "popular" sites.

Many of the "suggestions" in this thread are perfect aids to scammers. If no posting in for sale threads were allowed - how nice for scammers as then the item they are advertising could be sold multiple times in a few days without ANYONE knowing because all the activity would be hidden in PM messages or off site e-mails. Some things are inconvenient but necessary. Sellers that DO respond to posts and also post "PM's responded to." boost my confidence. Also a seller that will post "PM's responded to and the item is STILL for sale!" show me that they are attentive AND boost my confidence in their ad. Simple little things make a big difference - for me at least.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 22, 2012 13:37 |  #42

I agree with that, at a minimum I think folks should post when payment has been made, that way others know and don't send it again. I purchased a bag and posted that I sent payment, well another member responded that he did too. After going around a bit, the seller had two bags and since he got two offers, he sold them both. That is only one situation that worked out for everyone, but it could have gone another way.

Hillbille wrote in post #13944516 (external link)
Yes, I know about subscribing to threads. LOL!! This (POTN) is only 1 of about 8 very active forums I belong to and post to regularly. Most all forums are similar. Features and options are usually pretty close in the higher end forums because the owners use higher end software or hire programmers to mod their software to add features found at other "popular" sites.

Many of the "suggestions" in this thread are perfect aids to scammers. If no posting in for sale threads were allowed - how nice for scammers as then the item they are advertising could be sold multiple times in a few days without ANYONE knowing because all the activity would be hidden in PM messages or off site e-mails. Some things are inconvenient but necessary. Sellers that DO respond to posts and also post "PM's responded to." boost my confidence. Also a seller that will post "PM's responded to and the item is STILL for sale!" show me that they are attentive AND boost my confidence in their ad. Simple little things make a big difference - for me at least.

Hillbille

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 22, 2012 13:40 |  #43

alpha_1976 wrote in post #13944487 (external link)
Best is to send e-mail or PM and find out. I don't know what "PM sent" or "I'll take it" does? usually people who do not send you a PM or e-mail do not buy anything.

If I ever did it I got out of "PM sent" and such. These days I only post if I have a question and one I think will be helpful to others looking at the FS post.

Flickr (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 22, 2012 13:48 |  #44

duane0524 wrote in post #13944634 (external link)
I agree with that, at a minimum I think folks should post when payment has been made, that way others know and don't send it again. I purchased a bag and posted that I sent payment, well another member responded that he did too. After going around a bit, the seller had two bags and since he got two offers, he sold them both. That is only one situation that worked out for everyone, but it could have gone another way.

I agree about the "payment sent" post. It does help prevent scamming. Not sure how all the "YGPM" posts really help though. It's actually not so bad here where the thread does't get bumped. On other forums where that does occur it is much more annoying.

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 22, 2012 14:00 |  #45

mpix345 wrote in post #13944690 (external link)
I agree about the "payment sent" post. It does help prevent scamming. Not sure how all the "YGPM" posts really help though. It's actually not so bad here where the thread does't get bumped. On other forums where that does occur it is much more annoying.

It encourages people to post things for good prices.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

sponsored links

3,796 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have the listing rules in the "sell" section changed?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.