Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 20 Feb 2012 (Monday) 08:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 19yo daughter (and a "before-and-after" processing shot in Lightroom) . . .

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 292 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 20, 2012 08:10 |  #1

My daughter just had a birthday and wanted a portrait done yesterday -- the problem is that the light was almost gone and I told her it was too late. Well, we managed to catch the very last rays and get this result:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7049/6906022129_13278f6cac_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/yankeemom/69060​22129/  (external link)

But it did require a bit more extensive processing on my part! It's not a perfect portrait, but here is a before-and-after, done completely in Lightroom. Getting it right in the camera is always ideal, but not always possible. I know that Post-processing skills are a must in professional photography and something I keep working on.:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7052/6909633901_e6d3411483_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/yankeemom/69096​33901/  (external link)

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 20, 2012 09:18 |  #2

Beautiful shot/daughter!

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 20, 2012 09:30 |  #3

I'd say the light was wonderful. Beautiful highlights on the hair from it. Excellent job PP as well.

Gear List

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 20, 2012 09:34 |  #4

nice work. knowing that the "before" shot is actually quite usable is what differentiates the pros from the joes.

ironically,

joe

Michael60d
39 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 20, 2012 10:54 |  #5

Very nice PP indeed. May I ask? Was theirs mostly rendering lighting effects in Photoshop? Or can you share a few words that might inspire some research and learning?

Thanks for sharing

- Photographer newbie who loves his 60D and learning more about photography

YankeeMom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 20, 2012 11:46 |  #6

Numenorean wrote in post #13928964 (external link)
I'd say the light was wonderful. Beautiful highlights on the hair from it. Excellent job PP as well.

Yes, we just "caught" those last rays -- and had to stand on a picnic table to do that! (Ah, the "golden hour.") :)

Michael60d wrote in post #13929324 (external link)
Very nice PP indeed. May I ask? Was theirs mostly rendering lighting effects in Photoshop? Or can you share a few words that might inspire some research and learning?

Thanks for sharing

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here? I use Lightroom, not Photoshop. The light is natural but I, of course, enhanced it. I have looked at several tutorials online for tips and I have Scott Kelby's Lightroom 3 book. I also get a ton of tips right here on this board! I can't point to one source; I've just picked up tips all over -- sometimes just by looking at things like this before-and-after and playing around until I figure out how it's done. I'm happy to answer any specifics if I can. :)

(I should mention that I used a T2i +85 1.8 lens, thus little noise even when brightening things up.)

Kristin
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

FreezeFramePhto
Goldmember
1,128 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 20, 2012 12:29 |  #7

Thats great. I wish everyone here would post before and afters. There is so much misconception that some of these photos are coming right out of camera, even though they've been processed.

www.freezeframe.photo

radda
35 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 20, 2012 13:09 |  #8

Wow, great job.

YankeeMom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 20, 2012 14:34 |  #9

Yes, I process ALL my photos, but not to this extent. This was an extreme example and I would definitely recommend better light/getting it as right as possible in camera first (saves a LOT of time if nothing else!) :)

Kristin
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,515 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 20, 2012 16:20 as a reply to  @ YankeeMom's post |  #10

Well, I guess I'll be the dissenter........but only a tiny bit.

First though, your daughter is very pretty. And, I think the shot is good overall. However, it seems you processed her face with just a little too much light. Maybe it's just me but I think a tiny bit darker......would make her appear less pale.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

YankeeMom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 20, 2012 16:53 |  #11

Hmmm . . . by my monitor and histogram, the exposure looks about right. (But she really IS pale; I have had a hard time with her skin tone in the past.) Funny, I usually have problems with UNDER-exposing! (At least when I convert to jpeg.) Well, something I have to constantly work on for sure. :)

Kristin
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 21, 2012 02:45 |  #12

CliffordPhotography wrote in post #13929774 (external link)
Thats great. I wish everyone here would post before and afters. There is so much misconception that some of these photos are coming right out of camera, even though they've been processed.

That is the much more preferable way actually especially if the image needs to stand up to enlargement and other output requiring quality scrutiny.

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

YankeeMom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 21, 2012 17:30 |  #13

Thanks -- and, yes, this kind of editing is tricky because it can make for a lot of "noise" if you don't have the right equipment/light. I generally avoid these kind of situations (bad light), but I'm glad I could salvage it.

Kristin
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)

photorookie
460 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 21, 2012 18:08 |  #14

excellent work and beautiful daughter!

rwong2k
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 21, 2012 19:34 |  #15

wow great edit!, excellent photo

5DMK3 + Contax CY Lens
http://rw-photography.ca/ (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/RwPhotographyVancouv​er (external link)

sponsored links

4,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 19yo daughter (and a "before-and-after" processing shot in Lightroom) . . .
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.